Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anti-Siphon duck bill check valves

Love2Ride

I was missing one of the little duck bill check valves from the ballast system. It was causing water to spray directly onto my air filter, so I wasn't using my mid-ballast. I called a malibu dealer and explained what I needed, he said it would be $37!!! For a little piece of rubber no larger than the end of my pinky finger!!!

Anyhow, I did a little research and found that a molding company called Vernay has there headquarters about 40 min from my house. I called them up and the lady couldn't have been nicer. She sent me a sample kit, and a small bag of the duck bill check valves that I thought were the correct ones, AND THEY WERE!!!

So, a small car ride later, I have over $370 worth of these little valves that I didn't pay a penny for. If anyone is missing or is in need of one of these, let me know, I'll stick it in the mail and you won't have to spend $40 on one!

If I knew how to post a picture of one, I would, but suffice to say bakes has them also in their anti-siphon kit. If you don't need the entire kit, then I can help out.

Yea, thats your dealer givin it to ya. I just installed one in my midship ballast for about $25. Makes ya feel all warm & fuzzy inside, huh. :Doh:

BTW, my midship tank still fills up on it's own. Not everytime. And more often when I have a lot of people in the boat.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Yea, thats your dealer givin it to ya. I just installed one in my midship ballast for about $25. Makes ya feel all warm & fuzzy inside, huh. :Doh:

BTW, my midship tank still fills up on it's own. Not everytime. And more often when I have a lot of people in the boat.

Strange, my midship tank fill up by itself too. Glad I'm in good company.

That's it, the little rubber piece in that kit. Not the $37 that Malibu quoted!

It's up to dealers to stock those little parts because Malibu doesn't, they only stock the actual production parts so they were probably selling you a complete vent and not the replacement duckbill/cap

-Paul

So what does this thing do? Does it allow air to purge, but nor water? If so I've been looking for something like that.

It creates a air gap to avoid a siphoning affect (ballast filling on its own). Malibu has been installing them on every boat since 06' or 07'.

In 2005 when they put the tanks below the floor they found that since they are below the water line they fill all on their own. Installing that anti siphon valve prevents that from happening if you mount them above the water line.

-Paul

It creates a air gap to avoid a siphoning affect (ballast filling on its own). Malibu has been installing them on every boat since 06' or 07'.

In 2005 when they put the tanks below the floor they found that since they are below the water line they fill all on their own. Installing that anti siphon valve prevents that from happening if you mount them above the water line.

-Paul

Cool. Thanks Paul. I guess since my boat's bags are almost all above the floor it's not a "must have" for me.

Thanks again!

If you have a shut off valve(seacock) at your water ballast intake just shut it off after you fill the mid-ballast tank and you won't have any leakage or filling of the tank. I think its mandatory now for these valves to be where ever water enters the boat. I know they came on my 2005 Vride.

If you have a shut off valve(seacock) at your water ballast intake just shut it off after you fill the mid-ballast tank and you won't have any leakage or filling of the tank. I think its mandatory now for these valves to be where ever water enters the boat. I know they came on my 2005 Vride.

The problem is the handle on the valve has fallen off. And I have the carpet insert in the boat. So not only is the hatch a PITA to get to (every day), but the valve is a POS anyway. :Doh:

The problem is the handle on the valve has fallen off. And I have the carpet insert in the boat. So not only is the hatch a PITA to get to (every day), but the valve is a POS anyway. :Doh:

Mine was plumbed back beside the walter vdrive ,so I only have to lift the rear center seat and turn the handle. I guess that was good for me because I also have the carpet insert and getting to the hatch by the driver would be a pain.