Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tinted Windshields?

rbh98

I was just wondering if anyone has done this! If anyone has pics of this please post them. I think it would look good, and have a little less heat for the observer's seat. Let me know what you think. Or how much of a pain in the butt that would be to do!

We did it on our superair. It was because the private lake was east and west, so if you were taking a late evening run you were looking directly into the sun. we did our 10% and it helped a ton. as for heat could not tell much of a difference.

Docking at night was fun!!

later

I had mine done by a pro. He said that mine was the last one that he would do. It took him 4 hrs and alot of tint. It looks great and I think its worth it. I'm thinking about having my LSV done.

later

Tried to have my 05 vlx done,the guy had 3 goes and said he cant get it to work nicely,even took the screen off for him something about the curved glass in both ways and having problems heat srinking it. Mad.gif

sorta on topic... where can I buy pro quality tint (3M, Sun Guard...), and a good book or some kind of instructions on tinting? this seems to be a well-guarded secret in the industry. i've called just about every tint shop in town, and NONE OF THEM will sell raw film.

i'm probably going to disassemble my windshield to have it powdercoated this off-season, and wouldn't mind tinting it too. we're rarely out at night, and i can see over the w/s anyway.

i have several tinting projects i'd like to do eventually, don't really wanna pay a pro to do them, and i'm usually good with stuff like that anyway.

i also wasn't aware that it was a heat-shrink process, but i have a heat gun.

The flat glass is very easy. The curved glass is very hard............. If you haven't done it before I would waist your time. I did it for 2 yrs along time ago, and still took them to some one else.

I'll be the contrarian here. Had it on the whole windshield, didn't like it. Did not keep any one cooler because IT'S HOT in Texas and at dusk was real hard to see. Everyone wears sunglasses anyway so why tint. JMHO

Edited by Texasguy

I'll side with Texas Guy on this one. I've seen this on several boats and I personally don't think it looks that good. Seems a bit dangerous as well. The lakes are too crowded to add some impairment to visibility.

The lakes are too crowded to add some impairment to visibility.

Yes.gif Probably the soundest argument against. If the windshield is tinted and you're wearing sunglasses, would you be able to see through it well even during the day? Dontknow.gif

Edited by NorCaliBu

Mine is being tinted right now, as part of my stereo install. I will post pictures when I get it back. I went for a lighter tint, and I did it just cause I think it looks really cool.

I just got my 05 LSV back from the tint shop last week. Went with Medium tint. I think it is too light and would look better darker. Did it mostly for looks.

FWIW...The Tint guy said it took him 5 hours.

I just got my 05 LSV back from the tint shop last week.  Went with Medium tint.  I think it is  too light and would look better darker.  Did it mostly for looks.

FWIW...The Tint guy said it took him 5 hours.

5 hours Shocking.gif Thats a long time... I bet he was pissed :lol: what % did you go with?

The guy actually bought my buddies house. He negotiated the tint job for the BU and his car as part of the sale.

I think Medium is 20% but I wouldn't swear to it.

In Oregon the legal limit for tint on cars is 35% which is what you see on almost all SUV's from the factory. I went with either 15 or 20% I can't remember. Its so dark you can't see me inside ;) I think that 20% would be fairly dark even on a boat.

• 4 weeks later...

I put 5% on my VLX and i loved it. yea it was hard to see through at night but you can always look over it. A guy came to my house and charged me $90 and was done in like a hour and a half, i think he had done it before.

i used to but my computer crashed so i do not think i do anymore but i will check...i would take a pic of it now but last year the hurricanes sent a object through the windshield so i had to replace it. it is now factory again in a way i like it better but i might tint this one since i had a full year without tint on it