Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Carbon handle garbage

Vettesetter

Anyone have a Carbon handle? I bought a regiment handle that started coming apart at the seam after two riders. Picked up a Proof handle, same outcome. No reply from manufacturer on this poorly designed handle. :lame::rant::mad::rant:

Edited by Joe Hollywood

It is far to easy to bang the side of the boat with a carbon handle. I avoid them.

:plus1: We had one. It banged the boat a few times. Got a few chips on the handle, luckily no damage to boat. Then you had to deal with the possibilities of slivers and cuts. POS.

I have this one that I really like: LINK

Very comfy grip, the corners (where it would hit the side of the boat) are padded so you don't have that problem with it banging the boat as you pull it in.

I have the Zero G and liked it...all the way up until it hit me in the head on a crash landing and gave me one hell of a knot.

I've looked at that handle & I don't think that the Zero G has as much padding on it compared with the Catalyst or Proof. Both of those literally have padding all the way around the corner & about a third of the way down to the intersection toward the V. Maybe yours is different, but the Zero G handles that I've seen don't have any padding that go around the corner.

EDIT: But.....it does raise a good point about carbon handles in general. Regardless of the amount of padding on them, you have to be more careful with them. You can't just toss them around like you would a normal handle, they're just not as forgiving in that sense & it's something that I don't think that people really think about when they buy one.

I have this one that I really like: LINK

Very comfy grip, the corners (where it would hit the side of the boat) are padded so you don't have that problem with it banging the boat as you pull it in.

I have that same style and like it except for throwing it to the rider can be dicey and likely to result in a goose egg. Just last month a friend hit her head on the handle on the way down to the water after catching a toe edge. She was just learning to ride, it set her enthusiasm back a bit!

I've looked at that handle & I don't think that the Zero G has as much padding on it compared with the Catalyst or Proof. Both of those literally have padding all the way around the corner & about a third of the way down to the intersection toward the V. Maybe yours is different, but the Zero G handles that I've seen don't have any padding that go around the corner.

EDIT: But.....it does raise a good point about carbon handles in general. Regardless of the amount of padding on them, you have to be more careful with them. You can't just toss them around like you would a normal handle, they're just not as forgiving in that sense & it's something that I don't think that people really think about when they buy one.

Yup, no padding whatsoever around the outside. Another Village Idiot purchase on my part...thank goodness I got it at the going-outta-biz price.

Heres the handle. I like the look but its a bad design as far as the grip area is concerned. The seam is on the part where all the pressure is when the handle gets ripped out of your hand. It comes apart the first time someone with any grip strength falls.

post-10521-128528484502_thumb.jpg

post-10521-128528486236_thumb.jpg

post-10521-128528489281_thumb.jpg

It is far to easy to bang the side of the boat with a carbon handle. I avoid them.

Same here, but I have owned a few. From experience though, a handle rarely lasts me more than a year. I have a friend that owned the handle you posted a pic of and same issues. I had a Hyperlite/Accurate carbon handle that I had the same issues with also, but not quite as quickly. Have you tried to call Hyperlite/Accurate? I believe those handles have a one year warranty, and from experience they've treated me well, even sent me a surf fin free of charge when a friend stepped on my board. Lately I've been rocking the Accurate Murray handle, everyone seems to love the Chamois style grip, my next one will definitely be the same handle.

Same here, but I have owned a few. From experience though, a handle rarely lasts me more than a year. I have a friend that owned the handle you posted a pic of and same issues. I had a Hyperlite/Accurate carbon handle that I had the same issues with also, but not quite as quickly. Have you tried to call Hyperlite/Accurate? I believe those handles have a one year warranty, and from experience they've treated me well, even sent me a surf fin free of charge when a friend stepped on my board. Lately I've been rocking the Accurate Murray handle, everyone seems to love the Chamois style grip, my next one will definitely be the same handle.

That's what we have been using. I will replace it with another one of the same when it wears out. It feels awesome! Rockon.gif

That's what we have been using. I will replace it with another one of the same when it wears out. It feels awesome! Rockon.gif

When it wears out? Does that mean when the grip tears and comes apart, or when it actually wears out from a a lot of riding.

Had a Proline Carbon handle, was really excited to use it so we used it in march... Water temp was 52 degrees.... Air temp 65 degrees. Water was as still as glass. Dropped in in my wetsuit but couldn't WAIT to get moving on TOP of the water. Told the driver to hit it and the boat took off. I stayed still. The rope pulled THROUGH the handle!

Got a replacement, which was supposedly a new design and "fixed", long story but the same thing happened later.

Proline's customer service was GREAT and they replaced it with a new LG handle for the third time. Really really like the LG, but the grip wore out and next year I'm goin to switch to the LGS.

NO more carbon fiber handles for me!

I have had a carbon handle I have really liked for the past 2 or 3 years, but it is finally 'losing its grip', literally. You do need to be a bit more careful with the handle when you pull it back into the boat. It is time to start to find a new one.

When it wears out? Does that mean when the grip tears and comes apart, or when it actually wears out from a a lot of riding.

Wears out from lots of riding. The grip is holding strong and it is just finishing up season two. The plastic ends that cover the rope termination to the handle tube are starting to tear, but that's cosmetic. As long as the rope keeps holding strong to the tube it will stay on the boat. Thumbup.gif

Had a Proline Carbon handle, was really excited to use it so we used it in march... Water temp was 52 degrees.... Air temp 65 degrees. Water was as still as glass. Dropped in in my wetsuit but couldn't WAIT to get moving on TOP of the water. Told the driver to hit it and the boat took off. I stayed still. The rope pulled THROUGH the handle!

Got a replacement, which was supposedly a new design and "fixed", long story but the same thing happened later.

Proline's customer service was GREAT and they replaced it with a new LG handle for the third time. Really really like the LG, but the grip wore out and next year I'm goin to switch to the LGS.

NO more carbon fiber handles for me!

Used to have an Accurate Parks until it almost broke my hand on a missed handle pass. It was sold the next day!

I have been riding with Proline's products over the last few years and love the chamois style grips. The LGS is definitely the way to go, I've had mine now for this entire season with a lot of riding and it hardly shows any wear at all. The MX is a good handle also, espcially for those who like the smaller diameter grips or the triangle (similar to the Murray).

Edited by JBuck

Used to have an Accurate Parks until it almost broke my hand on a missed handle pass. It was sold the next day!

I have been riding with Proline's products over the last few years and love the chamois style grips. The LGS is definitely the way to go, I've had mine now for this entire season with a lot of riding and it hardly shows any wear at all. The MX is a good handle also, espcially for those who like the smaller diameter grips or the triangle (similar to the Murray).

Thanks for the info, I think you are right, the LGS looks like a great handle, love the way the grips are stitched. Anyone know where to get the best deal on an LGS?

i have always thought carbon handles were lame. they feel weird, they're hard as hell, etc. i've had the best luck with my no frills byerly handle. it's light, it floats, it's black, it's simple. K.I.S.S. is my ethos. i bought mine about 5 years ago and it works wonderfully.

hl-byerly-tractr-hndl-08.jpg