Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

96 Response LX Vs 99 Sunsetter VLX

Ventura I

I currently have a 96 Response LX, looking for more room and there is a 99 Sunsetter VLX close to me for a decent price. I know the Sunsetter is on the SV23 wake hull and the Response is just the SV23, will there be a big difference for slalom skiing? The Sunsetter is a heavier boat but it is also 3" wider.

Thanks

Ventura,

Coming from the Response, you will be disappointed with the Wake hull for waterskiing but love it for wake sports. I prefer skiing and barefooting and have quite a bit of time behind a VLX and my LXi. If your emphasis is skiing, look for a Sunsetter LXi like this: Sunsetter LXi. The wake will be closer to your Response and there is lots of room for people and gear. With ballast, the wake is reasonable for wake sports (we surf quite a bit with ours when we are done skiing) but not what you could expect from the VLX. Good luck.

Both the '96 Response and the '99 VLX are on the same sv23 hulls. The weight and engine placement make the wake of the VLX much larger and harder. I've skied behind a '99 VLX and can tell you it's nowhere near a Response. As suggested above the Sunsetter LXI is a good choice for a larger boat to accommodate more people and gear but still ski near the top of DD's and price wise right in the area your looking at.

If you're wanting a vdrive, you may look at an '01 Sunsetter VLX. That was the first year for the diamond hull on the VLX, & it may give you what you're looking for. That older Response hull is a pretty brutal little wake when compared with the newer diamond version (that came out in '98), so I would bet that you wouldn't be giving up a whole lot by going to a 21' diamond vdrive.

The V23 diamond haul started on the 99 Sunsetter LXI. You would be fine with a 99 - 04. The option I might look for also is EFI over a carb boat. But even a carb is not bad I just prefer EFI.

I currently have a 96 Response LX, looking for more room and there is a 99 Sunsetter VLX close to me for a decent price. I know the Sunsetter is on the SV23 wake hull and the Response is just the SV23, will there be a big difference for slalom skiing? The Sunsetter is a heavier boat but it is also 3" wider.

Thanks

understand that the sv23 is presumed the "wake" hull, unless designated diamond. Those boats have the same hull. The diamond hull was released in 1998 on the response, then on the 1999 sunsetter LXi, then to sunsetter VLX in 2001. Depending on the layout you're looking for, the diamonds are your best bet for skiing, especially in a vdrive configuration.