Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Response LX Rough Start

I have a 96 Response LX w/Monsoon. I have just had the heads reworked due to it running hot and blowing head gaskets. Occassionally when I start it up it runs extremely rough similar to a car dieseling after you cut it off. I can ease the throttle forward and when it straightens up, it runs fine. A little puzzling. Any ideas?

Thanks, I will check firing order. If timing was off enough to cause this, would it run normally at speed? Also, I have read that to burn 87 octane gas the timing should be different. Anyone have thoughts on this?

Thanks, I will check firing order. If timing was off enough to cause this, would it run normally at speed? Also, I have read that to burn 87 octane gas the timing should be different. Anyone have thoughts on this?

Yes, don't run 87. Run what the engine manfacturer recommends.

The ECM adjusts timing based on engine load and speed, knock sensor will retard the timing if you get any knock due to lower octane. I can't remember if your era response had a knock sensor (I want to say no) so most likely the timing table is conservative.

End of the story, base timing is 10° BTDC and I would not mess with that.