Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hours on a engine

footndale

Dude, The world differs with your thought, and I don't give a crap about your so called degree. Your knowledge of verbiage is indicative of the fact that you don't have a handle of how communications can be mistaken by folks that use the wrong words.

I can't find one thing that goes with your thought.

http://www.google.co...lient=firefox-a

Guess they are all wrong

I guess I will ride my enginecycle to the Indianapolis Engine speedway. There I will finally sit down and read my Engine Trend magazine. After that I will go back home and take my engineboat on the lake. Then I will go to Detroit the Engine city.

come on If you really believe this is true. cite something, any thing and I will believe you.

HILARIOUS!!! some how I missed this thread....

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bobby Light

• stroker-ace

• martinarcher

• Ndawg12

I do find this thread quite amusing, but seriously, who cares? Engine, Motor, 3/4 cam, 4 stroke dirtbikes dont have power bands???

:crazy:

That's my point, the words are similar and many times interchangeable. An Engine can also refer to a locomotive and many other things. Oh yeah, I need to go get some Engine Oil so I can do my oil change for the winterization.

that is not the gold standard, my friend.

1. correct

2. correct

a. wrong

b. wrong

c. electric motor

A motor is converting electric energy into mechanical energy. A engine is converting chemical energy into mechanical energy.

Guys, technically stroker is correct...but he needs to quit caring so much :lol:

These are the exact words I use when teaching my class. In general public I quit caring and quit correcting people on it.

Edited by Ruffdog

Guys, technically stroker is correct...but he needs to quit caring so much :lol:

These are the exact words I use when teaching my class. In general public I quit caring and quit correcting people on it.

I can see how someone in that industry like you and stroker would have need to define the two differently, but 'technically' a written reference would be the correct source of the answer and I think Webster's has been cited already. I really don't have a dog in this fight!

So what about something like a steam engine...does not use "chemical energy" release like an ICE, and sure doesn't use electricity. Or what about "air motor" uses air and not electricity, or in aerospace stuff a rocket can be called a motor.

I'm an engineer, and I don't really care, they are not technical terms just words that change meaning over time.

So what about something like a steam engine...does not use "chemical energy" release like an ICE, and sure doesn't use electricity. Or what about "air motor" uses air and not electricity, or in aerospace stuff a rocket can be called a motor.

I'm an engineer, and I don't really care, they are not technical terms just words that change meaning over time.

Steam is external combustion engine...the same concept as a gas engine...burning a fuel to make heat....just to answer the question. :)

For what it's worth, I was taught an engine involes a change of state (i.e. chemical energy stored in liquid gasoline converted to heat and the by products of combustion) whereas a motor does not (i.e. an electric motor with electrons in/electrons out). This was taught to me by a crotchety old Thermodynamics professor, and while I could not care less what term people use to describe the engine in their boat, he did.

And a steam engine does use the potential energy stored in coal which is combusted to create heat as a fuel sorce to creat the steam, so according to my professors teachings, it would be an engine, no different than burning gasoline or oil to create the heat. But as was said above (many, many times) the terms have become interchangeable in everyday conversation, just maybe not in techical writings/discussions.

EDIT: Oops, Ruffdog beat me to the steam engine example.

Edited by RTS

The OP did say engine.... not motor! Not that I really care what the "technical" difference between the two are. I will always say motor oil, Indianapolis Motor Speedway, motorcycle, motor trend, and motor boat!! All of which should be Engine, if you want to be "technical" as expressed by rjgogo.....This is when I would tell my high school students who cares!

Steam is external combustion engine...the same concept as a gas engine...burning a fuel to make heat....just to answer the question. :)

And what do we burn to make electricity?

To RTS I also had a very old dusty thermo professor, he preferred steam turbines to steam engines (steam engines may have been more current in your day :Tease3:) but yes water and heat to steam and steam and output energy back to water, its a great thing.

I'm just adding some fuzz to a very fuzzy definition.

Edited by 99response

ya, I am the dumbass...

2 years technical editor for national auto mag. 3 articles a week (do the math). technical editor means i wrote only about the technical aspects of racecars

4 years running a national ENGINE distributor

6 years dealing cars/trucks

ya, I know nothing about ENGINES :rolleyes:

and just for the record..06vlx..eat shyte. you have had that coming for a long time smartass...always pissing in the cheerios. yes, it costs $50k for 8 years in a top 3 nationally acreddited journalism school. but that has nothing to do with "supermajor" oil companies, now does it? so you can speak on petrolium and drilling all yopu want. engines are my domain.

Let me ask you guys something. do you have an engine or a motor in you boat? that is the only point I was trying to make and you guys have made a mockery of this guy's post. good work.

Motor Boatin Son of a b****... :lol:

Man how do you have enough time in a day you remind me of my buddy Jeremey he does everything you say it he does it...

Let's confuse things more, an Engine, used in the context of a train engine used to be steam powered but now they are diesel engines that create electricity to power a electric motors that propel the train, but the drive unit can be called an Engine both in the old steam times and the current times, but this use of Engine is both, internal combustion and electric yet it is never called a motor, and nor does it have any resemblance to a boat engine. But the word is the same.

Ford used to make an airplane called the Tri-motor, because it had 3 engines. I think Ford has a pretty good knowledge of engines and motors. Then we move to turbines, engine or motor, or does it really matter?

The bottom line is the definition comes from the context of the sentence. We all know that when someone says they did a money shift and blew their motor that the power plant in the vehicle is toast(and I don't mean cooked bread). The word is always defined in the context of the sentence and we all know what it means when someone says engine or motor. If someone is talking about trains we know they mean a locomotive, if they are talking about cars or boats they know it is the power plant, which indecently has multiple meanings as well. If they state that the electric windows don't work we know they mean the electric motor could be bad. Motor can also mean to go for a drive. Everything is contextual and nit picking the use of words is silly, when first the definition supports it, and secondly we all know what the poster is saying as it is commonly accepted verbiage.

To bring this back on topic, My 2002 Response had 179 hours on it when I bought it the first week in July, It now has a little over 200 and all but about 30 minutes of that were pulling someone. We go for an hour or two one or two nights a week and all we do is pull. Had to move from a 96 Sunsetter LX so we could go on our private lake. The Sunsetter was a foot to long. Gotta say, that response is true to its name. It is really fast. Looked at Nautiques and I just could not do it, too familiar with the Malibu engines, motors, powerhouses, power plants, etc, etc, etc. I know GM blocks much better than the Ford. Think about it, you know what I meant when I said block, and that has about 100 meanings, but you know I was referring to the...

Edited by rjgogo