Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hours on a engine

footndale

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bobby Light

• stroker-ace

• martinarcher

• Ndawg12

Curious what people consider a lot of hours on an inboard. Seems to me 80-100hr a year is very reasonable.

Dwight

I would love to be able to put 100 hours a year on my boat :unsure: Depending on the maintenance/upkeep 800-1000 hours should be no problem on an inboard.

Seems like it would depend on where you are using the boat. If your in a warm climate, like most southern US states, 80 - 100 hrs might be pretty light duty. If your in Canada, it could be a lot.

I'm in WA state & 80 - 100 hrs is a bit above average, but not more than a good boat should be used. :rockon:

There are lots of other threads on here about this topic. It's worth a search.

Seems like it would depend on where you are using the boat. If your in a warm climate, like most southern US states, 80 - 100 hrs might be pretty light duty. If your in Canada, it could be a lot.

I'm in WA state & 80 - 100 hrs is a bit above average, but not more than a good boat should be used. :rockon:

There are lots of other threads on here about this topic. It's worth a search.

Did a search on hours and engine, and it didn't produce much by titles that would suggest decent content.

My dealer in TX says 75 year is average.

oh, and it is an engine...not a motor. just a pet peeve of mine. motors are electric.

Seems funny how alot of people are putting gas into their outboard motors then huh...

Curious what people consider a lot of hours on an inboard. Seems to me 80-100hr a year is very reasonable.

Dwight

There aare a couple of ways to look at it. I will give you my view/opinion.

My 04 tahoe has 2000 hours on the motor and is rolling over 80,000 miles.

My 97 thaoe has 500 hours on the new motor and is just reaching 20,000 miles

My 07 vlx has 400+ hours with out a problem.

My buddys 08 X-45 (bought in mid 09) with 150 hours is in the shop every third outing.

Personly when I am in the market next(hopefuly soon). I will not let hours bother me as much as maintnance. I would rather buy a boat that has had all its seals lubed and its engine run and maintained than a boat that has sat and only been used a handful of times. Every ones views on hours will be different you have to decide what is important to you. if you have a brand in mind call around to the shops and find out at what hours are the doing over hauls. I did this when I bought my malibu and called dealers in 4 states they all said with good maint. the the 2000 hour mark should not be an issue as long as it has been taken care of. Thats my 2 cents.

We just put on 76 hours in 6 weeks on the new VTX :rockon:

I'd say that for most people in the north where the boating season is 5 or 6 months long, 75 - 100 hrs a season is probably "average". That being said I bought my last malibu 6 years old with 39 hours on the clock. There are plenty of people that buy a boat and only take it out a few weekends a year. I think alot of it depends on your boating situation too. If we had to trailer to the ramp then no way would we use the boat as much. But the boat is at the dock 20 minutes away, so I shoot up many evenings after work for some quick lake time. The hours add up pretty quickly when that is the case.

oh, and it is an engine...not a motor. just a pet peeve of mine. motors are electric.

From websters -

Definition of MOTOR

1: one that imparts motion; specifically : prime mover

2: any of various power units that develop energy or impart motion:

a : a small compact engine

b : internal combustion engine; especially : a gasoline engine

c : a rotating machine that transforms electrical energy into mechanical energy

Edited by Soon2BV

sorry, I guess that $50k journalism degree was all for nothing.

I knew there would be some smart asses in here. NEVER refer to a V8 engine as a motor under any circumstances.

there are exceptions to every rule of grammar. boats are one exception when it comes to "motor". I personally have an engine in my boat.

Did a search on hours and engine, and it didn't produce much by titles that would suggest decent content.

Try using quotes & multiple words. And search titles & the body. ie; "engine hours" or "average hours".

Seems to give me a better response doing this.

From websters -

Definition of MOTOR

1: one that imparts motion; specifically : prime mover

2: any of various power units that develop energy or impart motion:

a : a small compact engine

b : internal combustion engine; especially : a gasoline engine

c : a rotating machine that transforms electrical energy into mechanical energy

that is not the gold standard, my friend.

1. correct

2. correct

a. wrong

b. wrong

c. electric motor

A motor is converting electric energy into mechanical energy. A engine is converting chemical energy into mechanical energy.

Edited by stroker-ace

A customer just sold his Pro air nautique w/ 2000 hours and no problems with the engine.

I rode behind a boat with 3500 hours and it had plenty of power and no isues. the fact is to take care of the engine and its better to buy a boat that runs every day than a boat thar runs once time in a month.

I guess we need to change are bussiness into a autoengine repair shop instead of automotive repair shop.

And you cant motor on done the highway unless its a hybrid, other wise your engining down the highway.

Ford will have to change their logo to Ford engine company , instead of Ford motor company.

Chrysler will have to change from Mopar to Engpar.

Do you want me to go on?

Dwight

That's what we put on our boat in a season.

Oh and the "motor" thing used to drive me nuts too. I thought it had to be an engine.

If you spend some time at a race track you learn that motor is totally acceptable too. There are folks running at the strip who have forgotten more about building engines than I will ever know and they call them "motors". If it's cool for them I'm OK with it too.

The 1990 Euro-F3 Skier I picked up just broke 1500 hours, seems to run pretty good... Granted the stereo is wired to the ignition so if the radio is on the hour meter is ticking, god only knows how long it has been like that for...

My diesel Jetta also has 233,000 miles and the Jeep Cherokee I pull the boat with has 232,000 miles. So far all have been basically bulletproof. Maintain good oil pressure and changes, and let them warm to operating temp before revving high, and there is no reason for them not to last that long.

If you spend some time at a race track you learn that motor is totally acceptable too. There are folks running at the strip who have forgotten more about building engines than I will ever know and they call them "motors". If it's cool for them I'm OK with it too.

No kidding. Those guys... their called "engineheads", right? :horse:

I knew there would be some smart asses in here. NEVER refer to a V8 engine as a motor under any circumstances.

there are exceptions to every rule of grammar. boats are one exception when it comes to "motor". I personally have an engine in my boat.

It must be extra special then too.

ya, I am the dumbass...

2 years technical editor for national auto mag. 3 articles a week (do the math). technical editor means i wrote only about the technical aspects of racecars

4 years running a national ENGINE distributor

6 years dealing cars/trucks

ya, I know nothing about ENGINES :rolleyes:

and just for the record..06vlx..eat shyte. you have had that coming for a long time smartass...always pissing in the cheerios. yes, it costs $50k for 8 years in a top 3 nationally acreddited journalism school. but that has nothing to do with "supermajor" oil companies, now does it? so you can speak on petrolium and drilling all yopu want. engines are my domain.

Let me ask you guys something. do you have an engine or a motor in you boat? that is the only point I was trying to make and you guys have made a mockery of this guy's post. good work.

I had so many things to say, but they just ain't worth it.

I am just going to do some more research using the Google Search Motor.