Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sunsetter LX/LXI question

SBR

On the 98-01 Sunsetter LXI there is a sunpad/decklid behind the rear seat.My question is,is the distance between the engine cover and the rear seat less or shorter than the LX model because of the sundeck/decklid? I have looked at a couple of LX models and like the room between the rear seat and the engine cover, but also like the sunpad/decklid on the LXI model. Is there more storage on the LXI because of the sunpad in the back compared to the LX? Thanks

Edited by SBR

On the 98-01 Sunsetter LXI there is a sunpad/decklid behind the rear seat.My question is,is the distance between the engine cover and the rear seat less or shorter than the LX model because of the sundeck/decklid? I have looked at a couple of LX models and like the room between the rear seat and the engine cover, but also like the sunpad/decklid on the LXI model. Is there more storage on the LXI because of the sunpad in the back compared to the LX? Thanks

The front-to-rear space in the cabin itself is exactly the same. The space at the rear in the trunk is the only difference, & yes, there is more storage on an LXi.

I looked at lx and lxi and find that I have good storage beind the seat on my lx. it fits vests and ski ropes but not a wakeboard. What I do like is the amaller step over the back of the boat and my 3 piece rear seat. we keep the center part out and people will step directly from the deck to the floor without placing feet on a seat. Also I think the lx is a bit lighter. I am at the upper end of my towing capacity.

Thanks for the replies. i guess kinda what I am getting at is the leg/feet room one the floor between the engine cover and the rear seat the same between the LXI and LX. If it is, where did Malibu sacrifice the room to add the 2 1/2 ft deck behind the seat? Is the bottom of the rear seat just shorter on the LXI to accomedate for the deck pad to keep the same amount of foot room on the floor?

I looked at lx and lxi and find that I have good storage beind the seat on my lx. it fits vests and ski ropes but not a wakeboard. What I do like is the amaller step over the back of the boat and my 3 piece rear seat. we keep the center part out and people will step directly from the deck to the floor without placing feet on a seat. Also I think the lx is a bit lighter. I am at the upper end of my towing capacity.

Wha tyear is your LX? Both LX's that I looked at were 98's and they did not have the 3 piece seat. What year did they start that, or was it a special option? Good opinion of the "step over"...I didn't think about that.

The cabin of the SLXI feels bigger since it technically is slightly larger due to the wider hull width but the length of the cabin is the same. The only exception is the rear trunk is 18 Cu. ft. accessible from the swim platform whereas the SLX it is smaller and only accessible able from inside the boat. From a slalom perspective the SLXI is the clear choice as the diamond hull makes the wakes nice and soft, the wake size is really negligible.

Here are the specs.

SLXI

93.5" beam

21'8" long

Center bow filler cushion

35 gal fuel tank

diamond hull

2,900lbs.

SLX

93" beam

21'

38 gal fuel tank

non-diamond hull

2,800lbs.

Wha tyear is your LX? Both LX's that I looked at were 98's and they did not have the 3 piece seat. What year did they start that, or was it a special option? Good opinion of the "step over"...I didn't think about that.

3 piece seat only on lxis

2001 Sunsetter. Actually it does not say lx or lxi anywhare, just sunsetter.it has the smaller storage access by lifting the one piece upper rear seat and it has a 3 piece bottom. I think 2001 was the first or only year for the 3 piece. I love it. we always keep the center cushion stored up front if 3 people want to sit in back we put it in.

Edited by windy1

The LXI gets its extra space from the rear over hang of the boat. If you look at the back of an LX compared to an LXI you will see that the LXI has extra overhang that the platform attaches to. I assume they do this to keep the running surface as close to passible to the coveted response diamond hull

2001 Sunsetter. Actually it does not say lx or lxi anywhare, just sunsetter.it has the smaller storage access by lifting the one piece upper rear seat and it has a 3 piece bottom. I think 2001 was the first or only year for the 3 piece. I love it. we always keep the center cushion stored up front if 3 people want to sit in back we put it in.

well then it got taken off. All 99-04 sunsetter lxis have a 3 piece rear. You can always tell by whether there is a notch in the rear.

Didn't the 99 Sunsetter LXI start the V23 Diamond haul? Wouldn't the 98 be a different boat? I thought the Lx may be the same boat 98 - 01 ??????

No it came out in 1998 on the response. No sunsetter LX, nor sunsetter, nor iride, nor sunkicker (they are all the same) is the same as a sunsetter lxi.

So then I do have an lx with the 3 piece rear seat and no notch or overhang for storage. the back of the hull goes straight down to the drain plug. and I do not have the diamond hull

Edited by windy1

Thanks for the replies. i guess kinda what I am getting at is the leg/feet room one the floor between the engine cover and the rear seat the same between the LXI and LX. If it is, where did Malibu sacrifice the room to add the 2 1/2 ft deck behind the seat? Is the bottom of the rear seat just shorter on the LXI to accomedate for the deck pad to keep the same amount of foot room on the floor?

It will be nearly identical in the cabin, not different enough to really notice. The LXi is only 8" longer & it's all in the tail, in the cantilever that hangs off of the transom. The biggest thing that I've noticed in the cabin between the 2 models is that the LX has a little higher deck, something that you notice when you're sitting in the back seat with your arm up on the gunnel. The LXi's deck is a bit lower, & if you look at the profile of the 2 boats you'd see why.

Cool, thanks for all the replies and info. I currently own a 78 Mastercraft S&S and am going to sell it to upgrade to an open bow boat. My choices were between the Malibu Sunsetter and the Mastercraft 205. From what I have gathered and learned through the internet and looking at boats, I will be a proud owner of a 98-01 Sunsetter LXI or LX(budget) in the near future. To you guys that own a Sunsetter.....post up some pics of your boats! Thanks again for the replies.

Edited by SBR

So then I do have an lx with the 3 piece rear seat and no notch or overhang for storage. the back of the hull goes straight down to the drain plug.

By paging through the brochures on our FANTASTIC Resources guide, located here:

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/page/specs.html

It looks like in 2001 Malibu put a 3 piece rear seat in the LX. Prior to that, the LX had a one piece rear seat that you could raise up and set on top of the arm rests to use as a sun pad. So, being that your boat is a 2001 and does not have an overhang on the transom, it is an LX and it does have the proper rear seat for the year, according to pictures from the brochure.

We are more into wakeboarding, but the wife and mother-in-law still ski. Seems like a Sunsetter with the Wedge and poss. MLS would be a perfect boat for our family needs. Is there really that much of a diff. in the wake(for wakeboarding and for skiing) between the LX and the LXI. We are by no means "pros", just average wanting to have a good time on the water.

There is a ton of storage on the LXi. I have a 1999 LXi and the rear gear locker is cavernous; my kids joke that underneath the skis, boards, ropes, vests, and wetsuits is a JetSki.

I have the same boat and there is plenty of room all the way around.

Edit: I may have to search for a jet ski as well.

I just got a 2001 sunsetter lxi, I have posted a couple of pics in my intro that display the hull overhang well. I dont have a bunch of gear as of yet, but plan to fill that back storage area with all the accessories ie tube for the kids, combo skis, slalom ski, ropes ect.ect.ect Seems to be tons of room in there, plus the in floor ski locker.

Here is the link:My link

I just got a 2001 sunsetter lxi, I have posted a couple of pics in my intro that display the hull overhang well. I dont have a bunch of gear as of yet, but plan to fill that back storage area with all the accessories ie tube for the kids, combo skis, slalom ski, ropes ect.ect.ect Seems to be tons of room in there, plus the in floor ski locker.

Here is the link:My link

AWESOME lookin Sunsetter! Love the colors.....same colors that I am looking for.

We are more into wakeboarding, but the wife and mother-in-law still ski. Seems like a Sunsetter with the Wedge and poss. MLS would be a perfect boat for our family needs. Is there really that much of a diff. in the wake(for wakeboarding and for skiing) between the LX and the LXI. We are by no means "pros", just average wanting to have a good time on the water.

Just add a 500lbs sack in the front ski locker or find one that has the MLS already installed an the wedge. You'll be able to preform many tricks w/ ease on that wake.