Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Extreme Trailer manual brake override?

thethrillofspeed

I didn't get an trailer owners manual with my boat purchase. My dealer and Extreme are out of business. When I drive to my favorite lake, there is a long downhill drive. I park the trailer in the prep spot and move all the kids and adults into the boat. This process takes at least five minutes, feels like an hour when there is glass on the lake. When I put the boat in the water the brakes still steam, so they are getting way too hot going down that hill. Waiting longer is not an option. Other than getting creative with wiring to activate the reverse solenoid, is there a way to manually lock out the brakes on a 2006 Extreme trailer?

I didn't get an trailer owners manual with my boat purchase. My dealer and Extreme are out of business. When I drive to my favorite lake, there is a long downhill drive. I park the trailer in the prep spot and move all the kids and adults into the boat. This process takes at least five minutes, feels like an hour when there is glass on the lake. When I put the boat in the water the brakes still steam, so they are getting way too hot going down that hill. Waiting longer is not an option. Other than getting creative with wiring to activate the reverse solenoid, is there a way to manually lock out the brakes on a 2006 Extreme trailer?

Yes there is a D shaped lockout pin that goes in the side of the actuator. You can also use a nickel in a pinch.

Take a lead off the reverse lights on your tow vehicle and the blue lead on your trailer. Nothing really too creative about it or am I missing something here.

Edited by LS-One

Disabling the trailer brakes to go down a big hill doesn't exactly sound like a great idea to me. Especially with your family in the truck. :crazy:

I guess you better have a really heavy duty truck with really good brakes in it.

Take a lead off the reverse lights on your tow vehicle and the blue lead on your trailer. Nothing really too creative about it or am I missing something here.

Yeah he doesn't want to drive down the big hill in reverse!

We had a sweet lockout pin at the shop that clipped on the top of the actuator so it wouldn't bounce off when moving boats around the shop, can't remember who made it though.

But here is what you want LOCKOUT PIN

That is exactly what I want, anyone know where you can get on of those lockout pins?

Driving down the road to the launch ramp, it is a slow twisty road. I just put my truck in 1st gear and it slows everything down just fine without the brakes.

......... it slows everything down just fine without the brakes.

Your trailer brakes have less to do with you pushing on your turck's brake pedal than you think. By gearing down, and the truck slowing down, the boat trailer is pushing on the truck, and thus applying the trailer brakes.

Obviously you've been using the brakes all along as their hot when you get down.

I forgot to remove the pin from my MC 205 trailer one time. The boat pushed my Dodge truck right out into the first intersection I came too. :crazy:

You'll find out how well it works soon enough. Try most any descent auto parts store (not Schucks / AutoZone), RV supply store or trailer shop. Might ask them how good idea it is too.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Your trailer brakes have less to do with you pushing on your turck's brake pedal than you think. By gearing down, and the truck slowing down, the boat trailer is pushing on the truck, and thus applying the trailer brakes.

Obviously you've been using the brakes all along as their hot when you get down.

I forgot to remove the pin from my MC 205 trailer one time. The boat pushed my Dodge truck right out into the first intersection I came too. :crazy:

You'll find out how well it works soon enough. Try most any descent auto parts store (not Schucks / AutoZone), RV supply store or trailer shop. Might ask them how good idea it is too.

Wasn't that a dodge dakota? That statement should have read "The boat pushed my Dodge MINI truck right out into the first intersection I came too. :lol:

Edited by 06vlx

Wasn't that a dodge dakota? That statement should have read "The boat pushed my Dodge MINI truck right out into the first intersection I came too. :lol:

Yea, it was a Dakota. 3500 lbs boat pushed a 3800 lb truck around pretty easily. I always figured the "mini" was the smaller trucks.

Yea, it was a Dakota. 3500 lbs boat pushed a 3800 lb truck around pretty easily. I always figured the "mini" was the smaller trucks.

I consider a toyota tacoma a mini truck and it weighs about 3800 lbs. Just giving you a hard time.

I believe that these trailers have a poor quality/weak shock in the surge mechanism. Mine is only 4 seasons old and the shock is so weak that the trailer brakes will lock up when trying to coast downhill. This happened on our family vacation and I had to "C" clamp a nut on either side where the lock out key would go. Like others have said,this will push the truck and is hard on the brakes(2007 GMC 1 ton). I am going to try to find a stiffer shock. This will force the trailer to wait for the truck to brake.

I consider a toyota tacoma a mini truck and it weighs about 3800 lbs. Just giving you a hard time.

Yea, I hear ya. It was definitely no pullin machine..... although at least it had the 5.2 & not the 4.7. :crazy:

Yes there is a D shaped lockout pin that goes in the side of the actuator. You can also use a nickel in a pinch.

I keep a magnet stuck to the trailer ready for use to hold the pin (nickel) in place.

If you're keeping the boat awhile you could swap over to an electric over hyd brake actuator, and add a brake controller to the tow vehicle. Fairly simple deal.

Peter

Depending on the setup of your trailer wiring, you can also get creative there. I have had issues with backing up to the launch ramp or up my driveway. Any time my brakes lock up I flip my 5 pin wiring harness over, so only 4 pins are connected. Then I turn on my headlights. This activates the solenoid and prevents the brakes from locking up. When I'm done I flip it back to the original position. Works like a charm.