Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Air chair, sky ski, hydrofoil??????

cjohnson8080

I am thinking about spending the off-season looking for a hydrofoil. All I know, which isn't much, is that there are quite a few riders on our lake that look like they are having a blast. I don't want to spend too much on the first one I buy, just in case I don't enjoy it. Also, I need to find one that is fit for a wide range of riders from my 100lb daughter to my friend who, I think, weighs about 250(06vlx). :rofl::rofl:

I don't know how many different types or brands there are...sky ski, air chair..... where would be the best place to look for a used foil that would work for me?

Thanks in advance for any help.

I am thinking about spending the off-season looking for a hydrofoil. All I know, which isn't much, is that there are quite a few riders on our lake that look like they are having a blast. I don't want to spend too much on the first one I buy, just in case I don't enjoy it. Also, I need to find one that is fit for a wide range of riders from my 100lb daughter to my friend who, I think, weighs about 250(06vlx). :rofl::rofl:

I don't know how many different types or brands there are...sky ski, air chair..... where would be the best place to look for a used foil that would work for me?

I have an air chair that will work fot you. I do not know the year, but it is complete and in good shape. The only thing wrong with it is the strap is a little frayed. It still works just fine, but a new strap will make it perfect. I am almost 70 years old, so my skiing days are over. You can have it for $500.00. But I am not sure what the shipping would be from Calif. to Washington. Get back to me if you are interested. [email protected]

I have an air chair that will work fot you. I do not know the year, but it is complete and in good shape. The only thing wrong with it is the strap is a little frayed. It still works just fine, but a new strap will make it perfect. I am almost 70 years old, so my skiing days are over. You can have it for $500.00. But I am not sure what the shipping would be from Calif. to Washington. Get back to me if you are interested. [email protected]

Any chance you can post some pictures?

Not sure how many riders there are in your area now days, but there used to be a ton of us on Sammamish & Washington years ago. Many of us have moved away by now. I know Brent is at the north end of Sammamish, red/white SAN. And Lawrence rides out Of the Issaquah ramp, red/black LSV or a silver/white X2. And Bryan has a black/red Enzo at the north end of WA. or on Stevens. I'm sure there are others too.

The biggest forum online for foilers is http://www.foilforum.com. Watch the classifieds there, or on Ebay. Seems like there was one here for sale too, but I'm striking out finding it. I just sold a B39 with an Evo seat a couple weeks ago, would have been great for most anyone.

What you can expect to find are the older AC for around $500 - $700. Then the SS Pro or newer AC for around $1000 - $1200, give or take a few $$, depending on the age & equipment on it. Then the B39 or Launch for $1500 - $2000. And finally the LE series for up to $4500 depending on age & equipment. All of them can be equipped with different foils, wings & seats to get the perfect ride.

Most of the newer skis will be made of billet aluminum, which is stronger than the older ones made from cast aluminum. Many of us broke our cast foils after riding them for a few years.... too big, too fat, crazy trick, big crashes, etc. So based on the size of your riders, I'd say stick to the newer, billet foils.

Of the seats available today, the Evo or Evolution is the most popular. It has about 1" of suspension & has proven to be very strong. The Rock Tower is the basic seat with nothing fancy (similar to AC's seat). And SS has several models of the Shock Tower, which has 4" of suspension & is very strong till you get over 200 lbs & 15' of air under it. I bent several before the Evo came out, and blew several shocks up. Guess I need to lay off the burgers & beer. :Doh:

Anyway, there are several long term riders here. And we've all contributed to some pretty lengthy threads about the foils. Do a search & there will be plenty of reading for you. Feel free to come back & ask specific questions if you like. And if you PM me your contact info, I will forward it to the other guys in the area & maybe they will give you a call when they need a 3rd.

Good luck, and have fun with it!

Not sure how many riders there are in your area now days, but there used to be a ton of us on Sammamish & Washington years ago. Many of us have moved away by now. I know Brent is at the north end of Sammamish, red/white SAN. And Lawrence rides out Of the Issaquah ramp, red/black LSV or a silver/white X2. And Bryan has a black/red Enzo at the north end of WA. or on Stevens. I'm sure there are others too.

The biggest forum online for foilers is http://www.foilforum.com. Watch the classifieds there, or on Ebay. Seems like there was one here for sale too, but I'm striking out finding it. I just sold a B39 with an Evo seat a couple weeks ago, would have been great for most anyone.

What you can expect to find are the older AC for around $500 - $700. Then the SS Pro or newer AC for around $1000 - $1200, give or take a few $$, depending on the age & equipment on it. Then the B39 or Launch for $1500 - $2000. And finally the LE series for up to $4500 depending on age & equipment. All of them can be equipped with different foils, wings & seats to get the perfect ride.

Most of the newer skis will be made of billet aluminum, which is stronger than the older ones made from cast aluminum. Many of us broke our cast foils after riding them for a few years.... too big, too fat, crazy trick, big crashes, etc. So based on the size of your riders, I'd say stick to the newer, billet foils.

Of the seats available today, the Evo or Evolution is the most popular. It has about 1" of suspension & has proven to be very strong. The Rock Tower is the basic seat with nothing fancy (similar to AC's seat). And SS has several models of the Shock Tower, which has 4" of suspension & is very strong till you get over 200 lbs & 15' of air under it. I bent several before the Evo came out, and blew several shocks up. Guess I need to lay off the burgers & beer. :Doh:

Anyway, there are several long term riders here. And we've all contributed to some pretty lengthy threads about the foils. Do a search & there will be plenty of reading for you. Feel free to come back & ask specific questions if you like. And if you PM me your contact info, I will forward it to the other guys in the area & maybe they will give you a call when they need a 3rd.

Good luck, and have fun with it!

Thanks a lot Bill, I'll send you a pm.

Can't say I know much about them personally, but if you aren't sure if you'll enjoy it or not why not try to find someone who will let you try theirs out a couple times? I know a bunch of guys that foil and they're always willing to teach a newbie, might be worth a shot before you invest the money and realize you don't like it (not saying you won't like it). You'll also learn a lot quicker which could make the whole experience a better one. And if you do buy one, unless you live lakefront you're probably going to want a board rack for the thing as I can tell you they don't fit in boats too well.

Edited by sp0tts

Can't say I know much about them personally, but if you aren't sure if you'll enjoy it or not why not try to find someone who will let you try theirs out a couple times? I know a bunch of guys that foil and they're always willing to teach a newbie, might be worth a shot before you invest the money and realize you don't like it (not saying you won't like it). You'll also learn a lot quicker which could make the whole experience a better one. And if you do buy one, unless you live lakefront you're probably going to want a board rack for the thing as I can tell you they don't fit in boats too well.

I agree, that's why I sent a pm to Bill to see if he can get me in touch with the guys he knows on the lake I live on. Hoping one of them might take me for a pull if I have a can full of gas waiting for them on my dock. :thumbup:

I have an air chair in great shape....got it from a local shop as a demo. It has the gas shock seat and everything looks new. Not sure what to sell it for but I would like to get it out of the garage! I'm in Edmonds so it won't be a problem getting it to you. You can reach me at [email protected] or call my cell 206-909-8776.

I have an air chair in great shape.........It has the gas shock seat and everything looks new.

Probably not an AC. SS is the only company to have made a shock seat. Although they did make an adapter so the AC foil could be installed in a Shock tower. Not sure how many were actually sold though as I've never seen one. :crazy:

Probably not an AC. SS is the only company to have made a shock seat. Although they did make an adapter so the AC foil could be installed in a Shock tower. Not sure how many were actually sold though as I've never seen one. :crazy:

If I can't pull a back flip first time out I'll quit j/k

You foilers work fast. As I was typing I got a call form your buddy Gary and we're going to try to get out next week.

Thanks again.

Hehe, right on. Gary is a character. And he has some tricks in his bag that will be fun to watch. We hooked up on Williams Lake west of Spokane earlier this summer.... same old Gary alright. :rockon:

Have fun & start huckin those backflips ASAP! We sure did..... although I was like 30 yrs old at the time. I don't like crashin any more. :crazy:

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Air chair = kleenex to the rest of the world, :biggrin: if you get my drift.

The problem with crashing on a Sky Ski is you have soooooo much time to dread the crash on the way down. :shocked: Plus, you have had this same crash so many times you know exactly what you have coming.

Btw, the price on a cast foil will look attractive, but don't do it. My cast T bar broke a few weeks ago and the edges were as sharp as a razor blade. Very lucky no one was sliced up. Also, don't worry about getting stuck with a ski if you decide the sport is not for you. There is a very active market for used skis.

I weigh 255 and I foil more than any other water sport.

That was just a joke aimed at my buddy Jeremy. Every year we talk about how we are going to get in shape, and every summer we laugh at each others failure to get in shape.

HEhe :lol:

So Denny, how many new tricks did you get this year? :crazy:

Dialing in the wake and air rolls and gainers. Ride away more than I crash now a days. Boy that took a long time though. Newest trick is having cinch release in middle of wake roll. Managed that a couple times this year. Talk about having time to thing about how your going to crash! Just keep telling myself it's only water. :yahoo:

Dialing in the wake and air rolls and gainers. Ride away more than I crash now a days. Boy that took a long time though. Newest trick is having cinch release in middle of wake roll. Managed that a couple times this year. Talk about having time to thing about how your going to crash! Just keep telling myself it's only water. :yahoo:

Hehe, I hear ya. Been doin the same here. I've stuck way more tricks than I have fun throwing. And now days I usually only throw the 2 or 3 that are really fun for me. Learning how to really load the line up & nail those tricks on a progressive cut behind a big, well defined wake....... well, you know what is possible. :rockon:

After our kicker wake run in Hells Canyon it makes me want to learn to throw my air rolls off it. Time to start workin on it! :crazy: