Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trailer wouldn't back up!

I have a 2007VLX that when not on the water rides around on an extreme dual axle trailer. The other day I launched the boat no problem but when I pulled into the parking lot to back in the trailer locked up! Since I had pulled forward on an angle to back in I had no choice but to pull forward into the parking spot in front of me. Tried to see if I could back out of that spot...nope...trailer locked. I could go forward but not backward.

Figured I'd worry about it later and headed off to go riding. Got back after and still can't back the trailer up. Eventually my friend and I had to unhook the trailer and I had to do some 4x4 in the bushes in front of my parking spot to get my truck out. Luckily no car beside us so we swung the trailer out and hooked her up again and pulled forward no problem. Went for a long drive around the parking lot stopping and backing up but the trailer wheels would no longer lock up going backwards. Go and get the boat thinking "I hope it doesn't lock up backing down the boat launch or there is no way I am getting that boat on the trailer".

Backs up with no problems! What the heck? Anybody else experience this? I have never had this happen before. Is there something I am missing about these trailers?

Cheers everyone!

Either your actuator was locked up, or it was not getting the 12V reverse signal from your truck.

My guess would be the latter, and when you hooked the trailer back up after manually swinging it around, you made a better connection in your light plug.

Your backup solenoid is not working for what ever reason. Have someone put the vehicle in reverse and someone else listen for a click near the rear of the actuator, that would be the the solenoid opening up. If no click check to see you have power on the blue wire back there when the vehicle is in reverse. You should also have a lockout pin that you can insert in the slot that the actuator travels back and forth in, I think a nickel or dime will work as well.

Edit-I should have read your whole post. Your actuator is not depressed especially when reversing down hill, thus no brakes, therefore your problem, most likely, remains. Try reversing uphill to see if it locks up...

Edited by Ndawg12

Your backup solenoid is not working for what ever reason. Have someone put the vehicle in reverse and someone else listen for a click near the rear of the actuator, that would be the the solenoid opening up. If no click check to see you have power on the blue wire back there when the vehicle is in reverse. You should also have a lockout pin that you can insert in the slot that the actuator travels back and forth in, I think a nickel or dime will work as well.

Edit-I should have read your whole post. Your actuator is not depressed especially when reversing down hill, thus no brakes, therefore your problem, most likely, remains. Try reversing uphill...

if there is even a small flat spot it will be enough to make the breaks enguage and lock up while trying to back up.

What Nate said!! also you can use a jumper wire instead of haveing somone behind your truck while you are plyaing with the gears. all you need is a 12 vdc source. leave the lights on and use one of the other pins that will have 12vdc on it.

Also make sure you are getting 12 vdc out of the truck on the pin (blue)

Does this trailer have the oval slot on the tongue that slides back and forth? If so put the pin in and you'll block the brakes from engaging.

I think I've told this story here before. But here it goes again.

My neighbor bought an 08 Vride with an Extreme tandem axle trailer last year. It was a repo & he got a pretty good deal. But it was missing a few things, one of which was that pin. So he puts the boat in the lake for a few days & begins to enjoy his first days of boat ownership with his family. At some point he decides to pull the boat & bring it home. He lives at the top of a pretty steep hill, and has to back the boat up hill into his driveway.

So I get this call, he's frantic, he can't figure out why the thing won't back up. It did it fine with no boat on the trailer, but now that the boat is on there, he can't back it up.... it just locks up. He's pulling forward, then trying reverse, again & again. I tell him I'll be right over. Long ago I lost that pin on my own trailer too. So I stop in my garage & grab a 1/2" nut & a piece of duct tape & then walk over to his place about a block away. He's still pulling forward, then trying reverse, over & over. At this point he's a 1/2 block from his house, down near the bottom of the hill, and running out of room. I tell him to pull forward slowly. Then I stick that nut in the trailer's slot & the tape over it to hold it in place.

He backs right up into his driveway without any more problem. :Doh:

Guess thats what he gets for buying a boat from a used car auction.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Guess thats what he gets for buying a boat from a used car auction.

Guess he can afford the lock-out with the $5k he saved at the auction...

I had the same problem when I first got my boat and was pulling with a 2004 (first year) Nissan Titan. Flaw from the factory, but those trucks don't produce 12v to the reverse lights. We rewired the trailer and the rear of the truck. I finally just got another truck.

If you have a flat 5 plug, you can take the male connector and put it in the last female connector, turn on your lights, and it will power the reverse lock-out solenoid.

BTW...never buy at the auction and expect everything to be there. ESPECIALLY on a boat. missing stereos, towers, props, emblems, swim steps, steering wheels, knobs. If it bolts on, it gets stolen.