Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Oil & filter

MIKEGOUGH1

I know this has been covered before, but from what I have read I get conflicting info.

I have a 94 model 350 Magnum

I have been using a Napa Gold 1086 filter, I have seen posts saying to use

the Napa gold 1069, what is the difference?

I have been using Castrol 10W30 oil,

Mercruiser recommends Mercury Precision 4-cycle 25W40, or a good grade ,

straight weight, detergent oil of correct viscosity.

Am I to assume that they mean 10W40 if the air temp is over 50 degrees?

They say as a second choice, but not recommended, use a multi-viscosity

20W40 or 20W50.

As a note, mercruiser says not to use non-detergent oils, multi-viscosity oils(other than Quicksilver 25W40 or a good quality 20W40 or 20W50) synthetic oils, and low quality oils that contain solid additives.

That given, what really is the best way to go?

Also, I am considering using Seafoam in my engine and gas. Seafoam recommends 1\4 can in the crankcase, run 20 minutes and change the oil

and filter.

Then add 1/4 can to the fresh oil, put the remaining 1/2 can in the gas tank.

Any thoughts on this?

straight weight ...... means 30W oil, not a 10W40, 20W40 or 10W30.

I had a '93' and found running anything other than straight weight caused my oil pressure alarm to go off after a hard footin run.

/Steve

I just changed my oil/filter I went to NAPA and got the biggest small block chevy

filter they had, it holds just about 2 quarts it took seven quarts total of Valvoline diesel rated 15-40w.

I don't recall the filter P/N but I can get it when I get home tonight if anyone is interested.

When picking up my oil I also notice that Kragen auto has started carrying

Penzoil marine in addition to the Chevron Delo and Vavoline diesel rated stuff

which is all good marine rated oil.

This should help you out.

http://www.oilfilterstudy.com

From the Introduction...

This oil filter study was originally started to determine if there was a better oil filter for the Mercruiser oil filter found on Chevrolet / Mercruiser inboard and I/O applications. It then grew to compare many manufacturers' equivalents to the AC PF1218. The AC PF1218 (and the Fram PH5) are used on a wide variety of vehicles particularly the GM V8.

Mike

Mike G...I have used Seafoam® in all my vehicles so far after being turned on to it by Matt (UWskier). I've not yet used it in the boat, but probably will. The directions on the can (for a car or truck) and also some I pulled off the internet have you use the vacuum hose from the brake cylinder that runs to the throttle body to suck down about half a can, pour the other half into the oil crankcase, then put another full can in the fuel tank. Then let the vehicle sit for 15-20 minutes before cranking again, then go for a spirited drive and fog the neighborhood. It then recommends going no longer than 500 miles before changing oil and filter, so with your boat, I think you can certainly run it longer than twenty minutes. But I wouldn't put more in after changing it, only before changes.

I like the napa gold filters. I have the differences in red. The biggest things are the 1069 is long and it will let you oil drain back to the oil pan. The 1086 has the anti -drain back valve so it keeps the oil in the upper end. This would help for cold start ups.

Part Number: 1086

UPC Number: 765809136106

Principal Application: Mercruiser Marine Engs, Pontiac Firebird Turbo (89)

All Applications

Style: Spin-On Lube Filter

Service: Lube

Type: Full Flow

Media: Paper

Height: 3.790

Outer Diameter Top: 3.660

Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed

Thread Size: 13/16-16

By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: None

Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes

Burst Pressure-PSI: 225

Max Flow Rate: 9-11 GPM

Nominal Micro Rating: 19

Gasket Diameters

Number O.D. I.D. Thk.

Attached 3.444 3.100 0.260

Part Number: 1069

UPC Number: 765809135987

Principal Application: GM Family of Cars/Trucks (64-97)

All Applications

Style: Spin-On Lube Filter

Service: Lube

Type: Full Flow

Media: Paper

Height: 4.338

Outer Diameter Top: 3.660

Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed

Thread Size: 13/16-16

By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: None

Beta Ratio: 2/20=2/26

Burst Pressure-PSI: 225

Max Flow Rate: 9-11 GPM

Nominal Micro Rating: 19

Gasket Diameters

Number O.D. I.D. Thk.

5267 3.444 3.100 0.260

non-detergent oils Is not good for you motor. Basically it won't help clean the motor and my be missing a few propertys. As Big D stated diesel rated is great oil, it is formulated for higher heat, psi, anti foaming and a bunch of other things. I personally use the chev Delo.

Speaking of oil. I have always heard that oil will go bad "on the shelf", which is why you need to change motors with fresh oil, and change it in motors even if "3000 miles hadn't been reached". Is that true? IF we use our boat 25 hours over a year, does it really need an oil change?

Okay, a lot of great information. I think I have narrowed it down to staying with the Napa Gold 1086 or OEM Mercruiser filter, and the Mercury Quicksilver 25W40 oil. Sounds like there is no way to go wrong with that combination.

I am going to give the Seafoam a try also, should be good for the engine and fuel system.

Thanks guys & gals

This should help you out. 

http://www.oilfilterstudy.com

From the Introduction...

This oil filter study was originally started to determine if there was a better oil filter for the Mercruiser oil filter found on Chevrolet / Mercruiser inboard and I/O applications.  It then grew to compare many manufacturers' equivalents to the AC PF1218.  The AC PF1218 (and the Fram PH5) are used on a wide variety of vehicles particularly the GM V8.

Mike

This site might be of interest as well...

http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfilterst...ilterstudy.html

Speaking of oil.  I have always heard that oil will go bad "on the shelf", which is why you need to change motors with fresh oil, and change it in motors even if "3000 miles hadn't been reached".  Is that true?  IF we use our boat 25 hours over a year, does it really need an oil change?

Oil in a container will not go bad. Oil in a motor will collect moisture, fuel when the eng has been running and acids. I will have to go with Pistol pete on this one and change the oil at the beginning of the season if you only put 25hrs on it. I just hope your doing it your self (to save some cash).

I don't run synthetic or synthetic blend oil because I'll never put that many hrs on her to justify the cost.

I prefer the NAPA 1069 because it is larger. They also make a 1068 that is the same size but, has the antidrain back valve. No need for that on my Indmar as the filter is installed vertically.

I don't quite understand the antidrain back valve. With the filter installed in the vertical position, will it keep the oil in the top of the engine, preventing it from draining back into the oil pan? If so, that seems like a great feature that should be included on all engines. Why would you not want that feature?

I don't quite understand the antidrain back valve.  With the filter installed in the vertical position, will it keep the oil in the top of the engine, preventing it from draining back into the oil pan?  If so, that seems like a great feature that should be included on all engines.  Why would you not want that feature?

I believe it keeps the oil from draining out of the filter and into the engine. Useless on an engine with a vertically mounted filter, but usefull on a horizontally mounted filter.

I have used wix filters on my boat. The part # for my Monsoon is 51069. I also stick with the Pennzoil Marine oil that Indmar recomends.

As for changing oil after 25 hours per season, do it. Why wait till spring and leave the old dirty oil in the engine all winter? It cost me $25 to change mine last time and that includes paying an outrageous rate per quart for oil from my dealer. Almost $4 per quart.

I put around 75 hrs on my boat per year and change my oil 2 times. Once at the end of the season, then again mid July before we head to Table Rock for a week on the water. I never acctually get to 50 hrs on an oil change. Don't want to go 75 so I go somewhere in the mid 30 hr range. Overkill? Probablly. But we are talking about 25 bucks for an oilchange.

The NAPA oil filter is was talking about in my earlier post is P/N#1794 it

cost around $11.00 and holds just about 2 quarts, I had plenty of clearance on my V-drive.

To make sure I have instant oil pressure at initial start up(especially with a 2 quart filter) I fill the filter as much as I can with out spilling before I spin it on so there is no pressure lag, I assume everyone does this on a vertical mount filter.

I use a Napa 1069 filter and Penzoil 15W-40 in my 320HP Monsoon.

It is by necessity. I have two options for filters and oil in my town. That is Napa and Wallmart. I don't shop at Wallmart so I buy what Napa has on-the-shelf.

I use the Mobil 1 filter. Expensive, but I know it's good and the Autozone near my house carries them. I would not hesitate to switch to NAPA (Wix) if it were convenient for me to pick them up.

I always ran the M1-302 in my old Monsoon as well. I was going to switch from the Merc filter to the M1 in my new Black Scorpion next spring, but after reading the oil filter study I'm not quite as sure. the Merc filter is supposed to have better flow with less filtration. I'm thinking that flow is maybe more important in a marine engine that filtration and that the Merc would actually be a better fit.

Mike

Edited by mlange