Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How to start a 3 year old wakeboarding

UofK fanatic

Well my three year old says he wants to try wakeboarding. I have no experience with someone this small. Does anyone have any suggestions. Speed? Line lenght? etc....... Thanks in advance.

Since you probably don't have a boom, perhaps you should try this to get the little man used to the board.

I taught a 4 year old how to ski right behind the boat. Shorted the line up to around 30ft and doubt I went 15mph, doesn't take much to get little ones out of the water.

Awesome your son wants to try it!! Good luck!

When one of my daughter’s was ready we got her in the water and I put the boat in gear. No throttle at all and she popped out of the water. We about died laughing.

Try putting the little guy on the board with you. He can stand between your boots and get the feel of what it will be like on his own. If you don’t have a boom I recommend getting one. They are great for training.

I have taken my 2 1/2 year old on my board a bunch of times - only when he asks. Some days he is all about it and some days he wants nothing to do with it. I put him in between my legs, let the rope out all the way and we ride in between the wakes... he loves it. I also got him a ski skimmer that we mess around with.

Well my three year old says he wants to try wakeboarding. I have no experience with someone this small. Does anyone have any suggestions. Speed? Line lenght? etc....... Thanks in advance.

I'd try skiing with little trainers first, however I was never able to get the kids to try at that age but at 6 & 8, they pop up with a little more than no wake speed. I started them out by anchoring in a cove and pulling them back to the boat by hand so they'd get the feel of resistance without getting pulled over. Our 6 year old is a peanut and I could almost get her up with a good consistent hand over hand pull.

We started our kids on training skis also. I put a wetsuit on and got in the water with them to help them from falling on their side. Then had the boat pull realy slow for a few feet until they felt comfortable. Only had to do it two or three times. Wakeboarding came easier for them since they had the balance thing down.

Our 7 year old just started to learn this year, he has had his own board for two years now. Anyway we put him just 10 to 15 feet off the back with someone sitting on the engine cover holding the line and talking to him. He isn't strong enough to turn the board over if he falls forward so we put someone in the water just to be there when he falls. He pops up at idle all I have to do is put it in gear. Good luck and most of all tell him to have Fun.

A cable park with a beginners pond is a great way to start them. I was able to rent an appropriately sized board & get out in the middle of the pond with our 5 yr old at the beginning of this season. He had 5 - 6 starts in just about 2 minutes with the pull almost directly up. He's a pretty much automatic start at regular line lengths now & boards at 8 - 10. You don't want to overshoot the speed & get going too fast. A faceplant can really put them off for a significant while.

Speed should be idle or just above until he's comfortable.

He really needs to be comfortable in the water with the board on, able to get lined up for start & able to handle it/stay calm with his face up if he falls knees/face down until we can get back to help flip him over. He will only board for a minute or so, but the smile while he's doing so is priceless.

Edit - Add image & additional comments above.

DSC_0030.JPG

Edited by wienrdog

A cable park with a beginners pond is a great way to start them. I was able to rent an appropriately sized board & get out in the middle of the pond with our 5 yr old at the beginning of this season. He had 5 - 6 starts in just about 2 minutes with the pull almost directly up. He's a pretty much automatic start at regular line lengths now & boards at 8 - 10. You don't want to overshoot the speed & get going too fast. A faceplant can really put them off for a significant while.

Speed should be idle or just above until he's comfortable.

He really needs to be comfortable in the water with the board on, able to get lined up for start & able to handle it/stay calm with his face up if he falls knees/face down until we can get back to help flip him over. He will only board for a minute or so, but the smile while he's doing so is priceless.

Edit - Add image & additional comments above.

DSC_0030.JPG

That's one of the best kid pics I've ever seen. Way to go!!

44545_10150233933005567_650295566_14141928_5777367_n.jpg

I taught my 5 yr old at TSR on the Little bro cable pull. We purchased an hour pass at the park and he was up and going in no time. He can board behind the boat for about minute at a time now. The best advice I can give mom and dad is Patience. Advice for the kiddo is: keep you arms straight, knees bent, and lean back. After he/she gets that have them pull the rope slightly towards their hip. Let them know everyone falls and it just takes practice(give them lots of support). 3 yr/old seems a little young for the board, but if they are willing to try go for it. Kids are not strong enough to flip the board if they fall face first so be prepared to help. Good luck...

I would be very careful with a 3 year old most likely they are not strong enough to really control themselves in the water yet. Let alone with a fixed object on their feet. A split second of feeling like you can't turn over for a little kids will feel like a million years.

I would be very careful with a 3 year old most likely they are not strong enough to really control themselves in the water yet. Let alone with a fixed object on their feet. A split second of feeling like you can't turn over for a little kids will feel like a million years.

That is an EXCELLENT point. My boys were boarding at 7 and 8, good athletes, and it was hard for them to turn over. No way my 4 year old could turn herself over if she fell down and ended up on her stomach.

So before you get them out on the water, try suiting them up and putting the board on and seeing how they do on their stomach and if they can turn themselves over. That's my plan next year.

I put my kids on kneeboards when they were really small, I just dragged them off the beach in 6 inches of water and towed them really slow. This got them used to the whole towing thing. Don't strap them in cause if they flip they can't get out and it freaks them. (learned that the hard way) They really have to be comfortably under water so they don't get scared and don't want to do it anymore . I really like the pulling them down the beach by hand idea.

I started both our kids in the pool. I had them sit on the edge on one with a rope the length of the pool. I stood on the opposite end and pulled them across the pool. My wife helped balance them when they started. I next had them in the water so it was just like being behind the boat. I am not a fast runner but easily got them up on top of the water. I would just stop running before they reached the other end. This worked great as they were never afraid. They both got up the first time behind the boat.

Kris

Ours is pretty comfortable face forward in the water with the board on. He bends his knees & has no problem keeping his head up with his vest on. He'll hang out that way until we can pull up beside & help him flip over. Then, toss him the rope & he'll go again... There is no way he could flip the board over himself.

We really like the picture, but it was about 10 seconds before his first face plant. Took him a few more outings before he wanted to get back on the wakeboard, but he did. Be very patient with them & don't push it.

His progress this summer has been amazing. He's now stand much more upright & in a good position & the smiles are much bigger.

Edited by wienrdog