Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2010 VLX Surf Ballast

arrydjay

Hey guys,

Looking to get a few sacs for my new boat for surfing. I am thinking of going with 2 of the wakemakers 750 piggyback sacs, one for each locker.

I will always have a fair few people in the boat so i wanted to try it without any additional under seat or bow ballast atm...

Do your American boats have the batteries in the rear lockers? Mine has one in each locker and I am wondering if it would be safe to have a bag right up against the battery....

I am thinking I will fill all MLS except opposite side, 750 on surf side, wedge one click from the bottom and all passangers on surf side.

What are your thoughts on this setup?

Hey guys,

Looking to get a few sacs for my new boat for surfing. I am thinking of going with 2 of the wakemakers 750 piggyback sacs, one for each locker.

I will always have a fair few people in the boat so i wanted to try it without any additional under seat or bow ballast atm...

Do your American boats have the batteries in the rear lockers? Mine has one in each locker and I am wondering if it would be safe to have a bag right up against the battery....

I am thinking I will fill all MLS except opposite side, 750 on surf side, wedge one click from the bottom and all passangers on surf side.

What are your thoughts on this setup?

Your batteries are not located upfront??? I would not put the sacs next to the batteries.....imagine having 750lbs pushing against them...not a good idea. Most batteries if not all are located up behind the spotters seat on the port side....

Hope this helps.

=Living the Dream

Yeah Im in Australia so my boat was made by Malibu Australia, They have a few small differences to your boats and I know I saw a few posts on here with peoples batteries up front so I figured that this must be one of those differences.

Any idea how hard it would be to relocate them to the front? Ive got a few exile amps coming over so it will probably help with the stereo install anyway.

Yeah Im in Australia so my boat was made by Malibu Australia, They have a few small differences to your boats and I know I saw a few posts on here with peoples batteries up front so I figured that this must be one of those differences.

Any idea how hard it would be to relocate them to the front? Ive got a few exile amps coming over so it will probably help with the stereo install anyway.

I would just run the battery Cables up front and install a few battery boxes like....

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=102091&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=10109&subdeptNum=10548&classNum=10551.

A serious system should have 3 batteries....1 for cranking and 2 for the stereo. Earmark Audio can set you up ....he posts here often....he is a good guy..very helpful.

• 1 month later...

Ok so I have decided I will have the batteries moved when I do the install. And I think I'm going to go with the 1100lbs bags for the rear lockers.. Would I need any other bags to make a good surf wake? I was thinking just sit a few ppl in the front to ballance it out. I was thinking of plumbing the bags in, but I think I will just throw a pump over, so I can take them out easily for servicing to avoid warranty problems..

Edited by arrydjay

Ok so I have decided I will have the batteries moved when I do the install. And I think I'm going to go with the 1100lbs bags for the rear lockers.. Would I need any other bags to make a good surf wake? I was thinking just sit a few ppl in the front to ballance it out. I was thinking of plumbing the bags in, but I think I will just throw a pump over, so I can take them out easily for servicing to avoid warranty problems..

Get the long 400# fligh high sac to go under the seats.

I dont understand where you guys put all your gear in your boats if you have sacs in each locker, sacks under the seats, amps and batteries in the passenger storage compartment.....What is left?????

I dont understand where you guys put all your gear in your boats if you have sacs in each locker, sacks under the seats, amps and batteries in the passenger storage compartment.....What is left?????

How much gear do you need to bring. Lots of storage when the ballast bags are empty. You just have to get a little more creative.

The Left side of my boat is solid sac to the front observer seat. Even with 5amps and 3 batteries i have more than enough room for towel's, cleaning supplies etc. Right side i have 4 g5 buoys and a coast guard kit along with all our jackets we ride with. And i still have empty room between cooler and rear compartment. How much stuff do you need in a boat?? We just go to lake to ride we live in our house :Tease3:

Good call on relocating the batteries. That is your best bet. Ask 06vlx for suggestions on what you should do in the process including upgrading the wires which should be done.

Also good call on the 1100lb bags. That's what I have and I love them. Glad I didn't go with the 750lbs.

I have smaller boat, narrower......I run 750's in the rears, 500 mid, 350 in bow, have 2 155 lbs sac I place on the rear corner if I dont have enough friends out , with the floating wedge down I have a killer wake for surfing, can nail 360's........so if you have 250's in the floor plus 1100....I assume it will be sick!!!!!

• 1 month later...

went with 2 of the 1100's from Wakemakers with their piggyback system.....gonna see how it goes and if it takes too long to fill or drain ill throw an extra couple of pumps on a y-piece and plumb them through the bilge drain fitting under the engine...

• 2 weeks later...

Got the two bags in....all plumbed up.....took it out for a surf.....filled eveything up...all excited.....jumped in the water....surfed for a while.....jumped out.....relalised my iphone 4 was in my pocket the whole time.....Snap!

Funny, everyone is different....that is to say we have a smaller boat and don't have a problem. There is room for everything and more. We put a 750 in the rear locker and there is no room for anything else, tube sack under the seats, 450 on top of the seats and a 450 up front. Life jackets in the opposite rear locker, drink in cooler etc.

Time to figure out which one of your crew is bringing all the stuff. ;)

BTW- that is a sweet boat....everytime I see that pic :drool:

Edited by Ruffdog

Funny, everyone is different....that is to say we have a smaller boat and don't have a problem. There is room for everything and more. We put a 750 in the rear locker and there is no room for anything else, tube sack under the seats, 450 on top of the seats and a 450 up front. Life jackets in the opposite rear locker, drink in cooler etc.

Time to figure out which one of your crew is bringing all the stuff. ;)

BTW- that is a sweet boat....everytime I see that pic :drool:

agree, that is a great shot of your boat.

Taking in any of the Open? too bad about Stosur, edit: and Arthurs/Cash.

Edited by Cervelo