Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

08 LSV vinyl stains everywhere

InvisibleMask

So I keep my boat garaged, no cover. Each time I pull it out of the garage the deck and other areas towards the back are all stained. After a day in the sun they almost disappear (but still visible) but as soon as I stick it in the garage for a few days they are back. I read that malibu used some bad adhesive on certain boats and they are redoing them at no charge. Anyone have an idea who to contact at malibu?

Some think putting the cover on the boat causes the stain but I wonder if its just the heat and sitting out of sun which causes it. The adhesive rises thru the vinyl.

Anyway, here are the pics when I first pulled the boat out.

stain1.JPG

stain2.JPG

stain3.JPG

stain4.JPG

Whoa that is terrible. Almost looks like mold growing under the vinyl to me? Could be the adhesive bleeding through. You need to get a warranty claim started ASAP with Malibu to see if they will cover it. This is a major issue and I doubt they will want to take care of it so it could take a while and make sure your dealer is on your side.

I never cover my boat so the cover itself isn't causing it. I think heat causes it. It probably gets hot under a black cover so the stains appear just as mine gets hot in the garage (110 degrees). Either way, the adhesive is creeping its way to the vinyl and it needs replaced.

Is the body of water your in real hard leave bad spots,because certain types of sun screen mixed with hard water ,left in the sun ,heat, then dry will stain also,close to what your showing!

No, its pretty soft water actually. But I would have to think if it were sunscreen then it would be on the seat cushions also and maybe on the darker areas of vinyl but its only showing up on the white vinyl. The pictures look grey but it is really white. The stains seem to show up on all the high areas. The top of the seats, the deck, etc. Captains chair show nothing, bow area just slightly and people always sit up there. The deck is by far the worst.

I've only seen one or two boats do that in the Seattle area and both customers were using tanning oil / bronzers. Anybody using that on your boat?

-Paul

Yes, one person and only once in awhile. I thought that's what it was for the longest time so I said no more of that stuff and use towels when laying on the deck, even people who don't use the self tanner stuff will use a towel now. Its just getting worse. I mean its spreading all over. I would think if it were the oil then it would be on the seat cushions too but its not. Again, its only on the deck and where your back would go against the seat. And only on the white vinyl. Nothing in the bow and it has plenty of white vinyl.

Odd thing is 95% of the time we are all in the boat, not laying on the deck. But the deck has it the worst by far which is why I am sure its not self tanner now.

Also in the picture notice how it is really bad on the deck where the 2 sections meet in the middle.

Nobody would lay on that spot or walk there. But it just so happens to be where the vinyl is pulled tight so the padding is thinner and closer to the adhesive. Just a theory.

Hope this doesn't sound too basic, but nobody has asked. Have you tried a good vinyl cleaner with a brush and then followed with protectant? Does the issue keep occuring even after cleaning?

Oh yeah! I've tried many products, Hot Sauce, Babes, and some stronger stuff. It does help some after a LOT of scrubbing but never really goes away. The easiest thing to do is leave it in the sun for a day and most of it is real hard to see at all. It's like it just fades away. But then when I look at it with sunglasses I can see some of it still.

Paradise, where I bought my boat, is going to try and get something done for me so I think the ball is slowly rolling. We'll see where it ends up.

Oh yeah! I've tried many products, Hot Sauce, Babes, and some stronger stuff. It does help some after a LOT of scrubbing but never really goes away. The easiest thing to do is leave it in the sun for a day and most of it is real hard to see at all. It's like it just fades away. But then when I look at it with sunglasses I can see some of it still.

Paradise, where I bought my boat, is going to try and get something done for me so I think the ball is slowly rolling. We'll see where it ends up.

I've tried a ton of different vinyl cleaners I've had the best results with Malco Vinyl and Plastic Cleaner, their Protectant is pretty good too. I have no affiliation with them and they are a little hard to find, but the best I've used by far.

Hopefully Malibu does good for your situation as I'm sure it's bothersome to see what looks like stains everywhere, good luck.

My 2004 23 LSV had that problem, but only on the sun pad. The interior was white and the cover was gray. This does not support the black cover theory.

The boat was stored inside for the first year and outside for years two and three. The problem showed up halfway through the third season.....right around the time two of my regular crew peeps started standing on the sunpad while applying spray on sun block. This only happened a couple of times before they got the "applying spray on sun screen to your stank azz self while standing on my vinyl can be hazardous to your health" speech. I'm not saying the sun screen caused the staining, but the stains are where they were standing, and nowhere else.

I started off using "safe" cleaners. Once it was obvious the vinyl had to be replaced, I moved on to magic eraser, soft scrub, clorox, and a pressure washer. While I am not saying you should do what I did, none of this made the problem any better or worse. I fixed the problem by selling the boat to a guy who has access to his mom's upholstery shop. I hope your solution is just as simple.

My local dealer is starting a warranty claim and they warned me its like pulling teeth so wish me luck.

Sort of silly to think they wouldn't fix it. If I bought a $70k car with a issue like this they'd jump all over it to get it fixed.

If it doesn't get fixed I can say that when I trade in for a new boat I won't even consider Malibu. But I really do love this boat.

I think it will come out ok.

I have a 04 lsv that did the same thing also. I thought that it came from the cover also. (That is what malibu told me) I finally got them to replace the skins on the sun pad which was better then nothing. I have to pay to have them put on. It sounds like that it is a problem with quit of few boats.

I have 2006RLXi and the vinyl is discoloring all over. A day in the sun and its better. Just got off the phone with Jorge at Malibu, and they're not helping. His best suggestion was cut a piece out and send it to GMT. " CUT A PIECE OUT" I said, "Cut up a seat, no a cushion, no a seat back. I asked so what's their warranty, he says three years, I say, so they won't help either. I pleaded, just tell me what I can do to stop it. He didn't. He did say he would give me a discount on new skins.

My vinyl is in beautiful shape, aside from brown all over if it's in the dark for a week. I could not get him to really tell me anything. It was very frustrating.

Jeff

That looks terrible and on a 2008 boat, I would be P Oed to say the least. Not bragging but I have a 15 year old boat that except for a few tiny tears has vinyl that looks brand new. What has happened to your boat is totally unacceptable, Malibu should step up to the plate and replace your interior. lets us know how it goes.

• 4 weeks later...

I just bought a 2007 malibu boat and spent several hours talking to the service manager. He showed me a 2008 with vinyl discoloration everywhere. He said it's due to extreme heat and these boats should never be stored outside with the cover on in hot states like California, Arizona etc. He said if they were left outside without a cover then it probably would not get hot enough to cause issues. But the cover on outside causes way too much heat and destroys the vinyl.

I just bought a 2007 malibu boat and spent several hours talking to the service manager. He showed me a 2008 with vinyl discoloration everywhere. He said it's due to extreme heat and these boats should never be stored outside with the cover on in hot states like California, Arizona etc. He said if they were left outside without a cover then it probably would not get hot enough to cause issues. But the cover on outside causes way too much heat and destroys the vinyl.

i would agree with that, I don't think it is a problem with glue as i doubt the vinyl is glued everywhere, i think it is a skin that is pulled tight and secured at the edges.

I had the same issue with mine. I had every piece of interior replaced including dashes and side panel. My boat is not outside unless its in the water and rarely covered. But it is 100+ where im at. Malibu covered mine it took a while im still waiting for 2 pieces to be finished that never got ordered by my joke of a dealer that now no longer is a BU dealer even better :rant: Goodluck stay on your dealer so they stay on Malibu they will do everything they can to blame it on something you did wrong. G&T wanted samples of my covers i said send me some new skins you can lots :dontknow: