Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

doing some shopping...

stroker-ace

For sake of comparison, there's an 05 vride local to me with 96 hours asking $28k, and a 2002 asking $28.5k.

http://reno.craigslist.org/boa/1950911395.html

http://reno.craigslist.org/boa/1925849496.html

try Craiglook to at least see what "market" is.

That is a purdy boat tho.

And not that you asked, but if I had it to do over again, I wouldn't get the illusion tower either.

maybe I am just fishing to see what the "enthusiats market" is... :whistle:

just window shopping a bit.

never considered vride. i have noticed you are happy with yours.

If you're considering a 2004 VLX you sure better start considering an 05-08 vride - its the exact same hull, different name and a few very subtle differences.

vride is same boat as the one you posted.... fwiw, though I do recall wakegirl saying that she thought they cheaped out on the vride upholstery in comparison to the vlx (i.e. 2004 vlx nicer upholstery than 2005 vride). I don't have a standard of comparison, and have no complaints about the upholstery myself. Vrides are also usually equipped with the 320LCR rather than monsoon.

The LCR seems to be plenty of motor for that hull, even weighted for surfing (remember the prior years' monsoons were 325 and 330 IIRC), and we're still running the stock 537 prop, usually at 2,000-5,000' altitude too. I'm considering repropping just to put us a bit higher in the powerband for next year, but we prolly don't NEED to do that by any means.

If you're considering a 2004 VLX you sure better start considering an 05-08 vride - its the exact same hull, different name and a few very subtle differences.

good point. i guess i brain-farted on that one.

vride is same boat as the one you posted.... fwiw, though I do recall wakegirl saying that she thought they cheaped out on the vride upholstery in comparison to the vlx (i.e. 2004 vlx nicer upholstery than 2005 vride). I don't have a standard of comparison, and have no complaints about the upholstery myself. Vrides are also usually equipped with the 320LCR rather than monsoon.

The LCR seems to be plenty of motor for that hull, even weighted for surfing (remember the prior years' monsoons were 325 and 330 IIRC), and we're still running the stock 537 prop, usually at 2,000-5,000' altitude too. I'm considering repropping just to put us a bit higher in the powerband for next year, but we prolly don't NEED to do that by any means.

SD,

Correct on the interior. Although, its not terrible. Also, on the 04 the motor was a 340. Most prior to 04 were the 335.

SA - I wouldn't go any earlier than 2003 on the VLX. There were some major differences even between 03 and 04. Possible the biggest was Gorilla fins were added to the VLX in 04. This is discussed in depth here Also, that price for the 04 is reasonable, especially if it is as clean as it looks. I'm right around 230 hours and if I was to sell, I would most likely start around the 35-36k mark.

Edited by JBuck

Bow ballast for sure. Wedge is must, but I dont necessarily need a power wedge.

I plumbed in a Fly high integrated bow sac in my 04 and dropped in 325# of lead. This winter my project is to make a block similar to the 05 and up boats that have the bow ballast tanks and add a line off my overflow to fill a fly high X2 sac which fits perfectly under the bow filler cushion.

Also, the only thing I use my wedge for is surfing. It was the old style and I sheared one side off. Now a friend of mine who owns a fab shop is working on a stainless, welded one and we are working on a way to make some sort of bump stops rather than having it lock in place. Similar to the floating wedge without paying the $1200 for the conversion. (If you can't tell, I'm a strong advocate for the 04' :biggrin: )