Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1994 echelon no start

bigeasybu

morning all. im looking for some old school help here. ive got a 1994 echelon had it about 5 years.lately when i turn the key i get nothing.after numerous tries it will finally engauge and it starts right up.ive replaced the ignition switch , had the starter checked , had the battery tested. what to do next? help please got people coming to play next weekend help please.

Sounds like a bad ground somewhere. Did you try cleaning all the terminals? You may also want to check the accelerator. With my old skier, I had to tweak with it to make sure it would securely go into neutral.

Yep. Your neutral safety switch is the culprit here. If you turn the key into the "start" position and hold it there and the slowly move your throttle knob through the neutral "zone" it will probably start. Like 88 said check your contacts at the switch itself. You can also disconnect the electrical connections and unscrew the switch with a socket and test it on the bench to verify the switch opens electrically when the plunger is pushed. I changed the one on the Skier once when I had it. It is a cheap, easy fix.

Here's where to find the switch on a Velvet Drive 71C tranny ....

post-7666-128491798524_thumb.jpg

Yep. Your neutral safety switch is the culprit here. If you turn the key into the "start" position and hold it there and the slowly move your throttle knob through the neutral "zone" it will probably start. Like 88 said check your contacts at the switch itself. You can also disconnect the electrical connections and unscrew the switch with a socket and test it on the bench to verify the switch opens electrically when the plunger is pushed. I changed the one on the Skier once when I had it. It is a cheap, easy fix.

Here's where to find the switch on a Velvet Drive 71C tranny ....

let us know how the story ends.

I'm sure the guys are right, and its the neutral safty switch. My '94 does that all the time, but I know what to do if it doesn't hit the starter the first time... push the throttle forward just a bit on mine.

Somewhere along the line, the lock out spring broke (that keeps it from going into gear without lifting the ring on the throttle lever). Because of that, it doesn't go to exactly the right spot each time when you pull it out of gear. No one but my wife and I drive it, and it would take an idiot to put it in gear without meaning to, or to go straight from Forward to Reverse, so... We just float on with it the way it is.

I'm sure the guys are right, and its the neutral safty switch. My '94 does that all the time, but I know what to do if it doesn't hit the starter the first time... push the throttle forward just a bit on mine.

Somewhere along the line, the lock out spring broke (that keeps it from going into gear without lifting the ring on the throttle lever). Because of that, it doesn't go to exactly the right spot each time when you pull it out of gear. No one but my wife and I drive it, and it would take an idiot to put it in gear without meaning to, or to go straight from Forward to Reverse, so... We just float on with it the way it is.

well i replaced the neutral switch with no luck.removed and cleaned the grounds.my next step is to replace the starter relay at the front drivers side of the engine.if i jump it with a screw driver it cranks right up.

morning all. im looking for some old school help here. ive got a 1994 echelon had it about 5 years.lately when i turn the key i get nothing.after numerous tries it will finally engauge and it starts right up.ive replaced the ignition switch , had the starter checked , had the battery tested. what to do next? help please got people coming to play next weekend help please.

Does your boat have a safety kill switch/lanyard mounted near the throttle handle? If so you might check that by jumping across terminals. Not sure if 94's had these. These things are known to go bad occasionally.

well i replaced the neutral switch with no luck.removed and cleaned the grounds.my next step is to replace the starter relay at the front drivers side of the engine.if i jump it with a screw driver it cranks right up.

That's what I would suggest. Had the same issue with my '93 echelon and a new solenoid fixed the issue. Cranks like a champ. If you have any more issues after that, give me a shout. I just replaced the entire ignition system on my boat to realize that the wiring on the ignition swithch was backwards.

nope no safety features in 94 we lived dangerously way back then. ill let u all know what happens once i get the relay its ordered from skidim hopefully this will fix it until it comes in guess ill be getto starting.

problem solved replaced the starter relay at the drivers side front of the engine.wire brushed all contacts put new relay from skidim. starts first crank every time.21.00$

Sweet. Glad to hear she's running again. Thanks for reporting back. I always like knowing what root cause was.

problem solved replaced the starter relay at the drivers side front of the engine.wire brushed all contacts put new relay from skidim. starts first crank every time.21.00$

Good to hear you got her goin! Nice thing about these boats is that its usually something simple.