Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2011 or 2010 VLX Pricing

lakesurfer1

I am in the process of ordering a new 2011 VLX and am hoping someone can help me with "is this a good price". If any one has bought an optioned out VLX - either a 2010 or 2011 and would be willing to share pricing, I would really appreciate it. Below are the options and pricing I am getting, with trailer.

2011 VLX

water cooled shaft

Power Wedge

G3 tower

3 amps

1 set of tower speakers

Boat cover

Maliview

Sound System - pack 2

Bimini

Battery set-up option 2

Snap out carpet

Table

Pull up cleats

Tower Knobs

They want with the "winter plan" - $67,900. Good, bad, terrible, run, what?

It is much easier to know how your deal stacks up if you focus on the percentage off MSRP.

It's hard to know what the real MSRP is unfortunately: Here is what I have

Base Boat Price: Listed at $69,937

Boat With Options / Trailer: $89,191 (trailer listed at $6,937, part of the $89,191)

Freight / Prep: $1,155

Does this really mean S&@$?

Treat it like buying a new car. Ask the dealer straight up to see his purchase invoice so you'll know what he paid. Then offer a reasonable mark-up for his profit margin.

This is a quote on an ordered boat, so all I have is the spec sheet he downloaded from his Malibu dealer site.

That seems high to me. When I went through buying our boat this year, I was shocked at the deal we got compared to what others paid around the country. I know I was in a unique position with my dealer but I think you can get it lower.

To use Skyskier's point, you're getting what appears to be 24% off, not including the freight/prep. Pricing here has been debated here many times, but with that "discount", I'd say your doing pretty good. Most importantly, you need to feel good about the price you paid. If you feel like you're getting taken, don't buy the boat. The feeling will always stay with you.

For what its worth...I read an article in Boating Magazine from June that talked about dealer pricing and typical deals versus MSRP. The magazine suggested that MSRP is typically 35%-38% above dealer invoice price. They said a good deal used to be about 22% above invoice, but with the weak state of the economy you can now sometimes get as good as 8%-10% above invoice.

So, the $89,191 list price they have given you suggests a dealer invoice price of $64,600 - $66,100, which means your price is roughly 3%-5% above invoice. That seems like a really good deal....but I bet the dealer has probably received some other incentives along the way (maybe from their inventory financing company) and he is not making as low a margin as that.

I just ordered a 2011 VTX. This whole pricing thing is kinda BS. I wish that they would just post the price and not have to go thru the hassle of finding out what it is. But in your case that seems to be a good deal. Im assuming that thats not tax and all that other good stuff. If that is OTD pricing Ill cancel mine and order the VLX. Im dealing with one of the biggest dealers in the mid-west and Im happy with what I got for price and service. You will never feel good about the price you pay if you obsess about it, just pay your money and have fun.

Rich

Treat it like buying a new car. Ask the dealer straight up to see his purchase invoice so you'll know what he paid. Then offer a reasonable mark-up for his profit margin.

Boats are a lot different. Not only is invoice cost a secret but to my knowledger Malibu dealers don't get a holdback like car dealers do even if they sell it at cost.

I am in the process of ordering a new 2011 VLX and am hoping someone can help me with "is this a good price". If any one has bought an optioned out VLX - either a 2010 or 2011 and would be willing to share pricing, I would really appreciate it. Below are the options and pricing I am getting, with trailer.

2011 VLX

water cooled shaft

Power Wedge

G3 tower

3 amps

1 set of tower speakers

Boat cover

Maliview

Sound System - pack 2

Bimini

Battery set-up option 2

Snap out carpet

Table

Pull up cleats

Tower Knobs

They want with the "winter plan" - $67,900. Good, bad, terrible, run, what?

That is with trailer right?

The easiest way to buy a boat.

1) Ask your dealer for the price sheet that shows itemized MSRP pricing for the boat and each option. (you may see options on the list that you did not even know were available)

2) Negotiate what percentage the discount will be for the boat and options.

3) Choose your options and put your order together knowing in advance what the final cost will be.

You did not ask for the following advice, but I will say it anyway because it's good stuff. The factory sound system is middle of the road at best. You will save money and have a much better sounding system if you go aftermarket. Since the factory head unit is so integrated into the boat, it makes sense to have the factory supply and install the Rockford head unit along with the remote and glove box hook ups. Go aftermarket for the tower and in boat speakers and amps. As strange as it may sound, the aftermarket tower speakers integrate with the tower much better than the factory speakers do. Too many people have bought the factory system and then come here looking for upgrade advice. That is a VERY expensive way to get to where you want to be. (assuming that is where you want to be)

One more thing, while the factory Commercial Sewing covers are nice, Evolution is absolutely the last word in boat covers.

The easiest way to buy a boat.

1) Ask your dealer for the price sheet that shows itemized MSRP pricing for the boat and each option. (you may see options on the list that you did not even know were available)

2) Negotiate what percentage the discount will be for the boat and options.

3) Choose your options and put your order together knowing in advance what the final cost will be.

You did not ask for the following advice, but I will say it anyway because it's good stuff. The factory sound system is middle of the road at best. You will save money and have a much better sounding system if you go aftermarket. Since the factory head unit is so integrated into the boat, it makes sense to have the factory supply and install the Rockford head unit along with the remote and glove box hook ups. Go aftermarket for the tower and in boat speakers and amps. As strange as it may sound, the aftermarket tower speakers integrate with the tower much better than the factory speakers do. Too many people have bought the factory system and then come here looking for upgrade advice. That is a VERY expensive way to get to where you want to be. (assuming that is where you want to be)

One more thing, while the factory Commercial Sewing covers are nice, Evolution is absolutely the last word in boat covers.

I am going with 4 Wet Sounds Tower Speakers rather than the Titan speakers, much better IMO, but was going to go ahead and use the RF factory amplifiers. Thanks for the advice... much appreciated. I'll be glad when this is done. Are Malibu dealers just trying to sell fewer boats now at higher margins? I buddy of mine built one and got it delivered in early 2010 and it was much cheaper from the same dealer, same options... HMMMM.

Dont go with the factory RF Amp for the tower speakers... You will be very dissapointed and it is kind of pointless when you have Wetsounds on the tower...

What he said, plus you can get better amps for less. Also, I would stay away from the factory speaker shelf. David EM can hook you up with everything you need. Give him a call......you will be glad you did.

What he said, plus you can get better amps for less. Also, I would stay away from the factory speaker shelf. David EM can hook you up with everything you need. Give him a call......you will be glad you did.

:plus1:

I just replaced my factory amps and could not be happier! David will put you in a better system for the same $$.

and have any of you seen a video from the malibu factory camera I have seen some video's from a Mastercaft X Star and the camera looses the rider when there is slack in the line and or the rider cuts in quick wondering if its a worthy option for the price tag....

That price sounds about right for the options you are getting. I know they had a 4% price increase for 2011. I know it has been said a hundred times but the dealer has to make something to keep the doors open. It is not like a car dealer that sells 30+ a month. Your average dealer may sell 20-50 a year. If you are happy with the boat, dealer, and price then that is all that matters. It is funny to hear people talk about how they beat up a dealer on price and then later complain that they don't get the same service as other customers or the dealer has gone out of business. Boat dealers, on average, barely make enough money to support their families. As long as you are happy then get the boat, you will love it.