Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trouble getting trailer to release the brakes

dtm8119

Hey everyone...I'm having issues getting my trailer to release the brakes for when I back up into my driveway. It is a Dorsey trailer. On the hitch, there is a sticker that says to press up on the tap to make sure the brakes are released, but the tab doesn't stay in the up position? Am I missing something obvious?

A few pictures...

IMAG0095.jpg

IMAG0096.jpg

IMAG0098-1.jpg

Edited by dtm8119

This might sound stupid, but are the trailer lights connected to the truck when you are backing?

I needed to move my boat from one spot on the drive to another and figured I would just connect the hitch and go. Every time I put it in reverse the brakes engaged. You need the trailer light connection to trip the solenoid in the brake system to allow you to reverse. (or something along those lines, someone with more expertise can chime in and correct me).

I also have the dorsey trailer.

Hey everyone...I'm having issues getting my trailer to release the brakes for when I back up into my driveway. It is a Dorsey trailer. On the hitch, there is a sticker that says to press up on the tap to make sure the brakes are released, but the tab doesn't stay in the up position? Am I missing something obvious?

A few pictures...

IMAG0095.jpg

IMAG0096.jpg

IMAG0098-1.jpg

Are you using the 5 pin plug not the 4 pin plug ...this will solve your problem...you should only have to disengage the brake when the boat is not on the trailer. If you need to you should have gotten a u shaped metal bracket that fits in the slot and goes over the top of the arm. Another way is to wedge a nickel or penny in the spot BUT just remember to remove it :biggrin:

Hope this helps

I have to flip my trailer plug/reverse it before backing up,the 4 of the 5 that match up. If you can listen close you can hear it release. Some have the tab or a place to put a stud or bolt to keep the surge from engaging.

It's kinda PITA, but that's how surge brakes work.

You can search hear too to make sure you don't have some other issue

That tab will release the emergency/brake release, but won't prevent the brakes from locking up during release.

Here is the users manual for your braking system & actuator. Someone there should be able to hear the solenoid click when you put it into reverse if everything is working right.

For a quick fix, put something temporarily in the oval slot (seen in pic 2) to prevent the hitch mechanism from sliding backward during backing. This will prevent the piston from actuating the brakes. For example you can use the head of a small bolt or use a washer in the slot and hold in place with tape. Just rememmber to remove it after backing the trailer up or you will not have any brakes.

For a quick fix, put something temporarily in the oval slot (seen in pic 2) to prevent the hitch mechanism from sliding backward during backing. This will prevent the piston from actuating the brakes. For example you can use the head of a small bolt or use a washer in the slot and hold in place with tape. Just rememmber to remove it after backing the trailer up or you will not have any brakes.

:plus1:

Yeah just put a u-bracket in there when your moving it around and then take it off for travel of keep it on either way works.

I have to flip my trailer plug/reverse it before backing up,the 4 of the 5 that match up. If you can listen close you can hear it release. Some have the tab or a place to put a stud or bolt to keep the surge from engaging.

It's kinda PITA, but that's how surge brakes work.

You can search hear too to make sure you don't have some other issue

Wouldn't it be easier to just wire your tow vehicle with the 5th wire, and put the 5 flat connector on it?

Wouldn't it be easier to just wire your tow vehicle with the 5th wire, and put the 5 flat connector on it?

:plus1: :plus1:

Get the right plug will fix everything...ie.....you have the WRONG plug :biggrin:

The blue wire has to be energized for the brakes to be released. The brake release lever on the bottom of the actuator should just spring up and down freely unless the brakes have been set. It is a good practice to check this each time you tow. Many times a cable will become engaged accidentally by simply getting caught up briefly in some other element on the receiver, unknown to the driver, setting the brakes. Also the height of the cable hanging down is just about ideal to children who often use it as a step up to the tongue. You should have 12v on the blue wire and a good ground with the truck in reverse. With a swing tongue, occasionally it doesn't get a solid ground so 2 threaded holes are provided on the bottom of the solenoid to add a ground. Use an 8-32 x 3/8" machine screw to add a ground wire over to the white wire in your wiring loom.

I keep the plug in place with a magnet.