Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Best Malibu Dealers

rodman

It seams like all the good Malibu Dealers are on the West Coast. I would like to upgrade to a 2011 but have no luck with anyone here. The 2 dealers in this area will not deal what so ever on new, the used boats are junk and they want new boat prices for them.

I am on the East coast and will travel a bit for a new BU. I keep getting the crap that the only way they can quote me a cash price is I have to come into the show room. I understand the pet the puppy rule but these shops are hundreds of miles away.

Can any one out there can speak highly of some one on this side of the country that you can deal with.

Part of the problem is dealers are only supposed to sell within their territory on current model year boats as per an agreement they all have with Malibu. Now that's not to say that some won't work with you around these rules, but most are not going to do that over the phone. Now if you were looking for a leftover 2010 any dealer can deal with you. Not saying some won't work around this, because I've heard some do.

Edited by sp0tts

We recently purchased our second Malibu from Smith Boys Jansen Marine on Conesus Lake in New York. John Jansen is sharp and has always worked well with us. We bought a used '98 RLX from him back in 1998. He knew we were in the market and he hunted around to find one for us. We traded it in on a 2010 RFXI to keep up with our growing family. We couldn't be happier with the service we've had through Jansen Marine. It's probably about a 5-hour run for you, though.

Good dealers on the west coast, well after the economy went down all the bad ones crashed and burned so only the better ones were left standing.

Plenty of good dealers on the east coast, but they can't sell you the 2011's out of territory.

Good dealers on the west coast, well after the economy went down all the bad ones crashed and burned so only the better ones were left standing.

Plenty of good dealers on the east coast, but they can't sell you the 2011's out of territory.

Ah, territory. Whoops. No disrespect intended. :oops:

We recently purchased our second Malibu from Smith Boys Jansen Marine on Conesus Lake in New York. John Jansen is sharp and has always worked well with us. We bought a used '98 RLX from him back in 1998. He knew we were in the market and he hunted around to find one for us. We traded it in on a 2010 RFXI to keep up with our growing family. We couldn't be happier with the service we've had through Jansen Marine. It's probably about a 5-hour run for you, though.

I think we're going to need pics of the RFXi as proof. :whistle:

peter at smooth water sports (smoothwaterman) has been a great asset to themalibucrew community.

i've purchased pieces and parts from him (but nothing substantial); i've always been satisfied with his efforts.

be aware that there have been gripes from some board members, who have asked for service at dealerships that didn't sell the boat, and were refused.

I was treated like family at Skiers Pier. Ron K. was very good to work with when I bought my boat but he was like a friend before I came over to Malibu. His attitude had a lot to do with me buying from him. I also feel he was fair with pricing. He kicked in a couple of options after I wrote the check for the boat. He had no need as he had a check in hand and a order form field out. Just a good guy. They were not cheep little options aether.

Just to put this in a little perspective or try.

This time last year I was trying to deal with a dealer on a left over 08 (no names) we were a $2000.00 apart on a boat that he was trying to sell me. I wanted to split the difference pay him, and he could keep the boat till the spring. He only had one other Malibu on site. He sat on that boat till May before he sold it. Do you know what the floor plan is on a 60,000+ boat. I just could not deal with him period so I walked. I happen to know what the mark up on the Malibu's are and it is big enough to move. I can't help it he could not sell the boat.

So now I have the hots (most of you know what I mean)so I start calling other dealers for prices. I was calling on adds that they had posted on all the boat sites. Most of them just headed me off when they asked me what area I was from. They told me to buy from my local dealer and just gave me the list price. It seams like these guys are a very close net of people, seams like they are very independant and do not care if they sell or not. Some of these guys even called this dealer and told them that I was trying to buy out form under them. There are 2 dealers 80 miles away the next closest is about 300.

Every one says buy at the boat show so I wait and go to the Cleveland boat show with cash and a bank check. This is one of the biggest on the East there were NO MALIBU dealers there at all. The others where there why not Malibu.

Does all the Crew pay straight retail and you are happy with that. That is what I a finding around here.

Am I out of line here Please tell me.

I don't think anyone pays retail. I' m gonna say give him another chance. It's nice to have a dealer close. If it doesn't work, and you don't mind something slightly used, you could look for demo boats sold privately. A local guy who is also a member here, sells his demo boat (and gets a new one) every year.

I have no clue if there's a Bu dealer anywhere within a few hundred miles of where I am. I'm not going to be in the market for a new boat and do most if not all my own maintenance so I really don't even bother to look.

In July, I bought a 247 from SkiersPier in Waterford, MI and had it shipped to Las Vegas. Once they received my check, they sent the boat out quickly, but they did not call to see if I received the boat. When I called to inquire about my bimini, they said they would check on it and call me back....they did not call back for a week, even after I left several messages. Now I am having trouble with the stereo they installed and I am pretty much stuck with getting it fixed on my own. They did send me the part I needed, but it took more than two weeks and several more calls. IT IS BEST TO BUY LOCAL BECAUSE IT WILL BE DIFFICULT TO GET SUPPORT. Your local dealer will be unhappy you didn't buy from them while the shipping dealer will be glad to have gotten rid of the boat.

Edited by bbattiste247

Just to put this in a little perspective or try.

This time last year I was trying to deal with a dealer on a left over 08 (no names) we were a $2000.00 apart on a boat that he was trying to sell me. I wanted to split the difference pay him, and he could keep the boat till the spring. He only had one other Malibu on site. He sat on that boat till May before he sold it. Do you know what the floor plan is on a 60,000+ boat. I just could not deal with him period so I walked. I happen to know what the mark up on the Malibu's are and it is big enough to move. I can't help it he could not sell the boat.

So now I have the hots (most of you know what I mean)so I start calling other dealers for prices. I was calling on adds that they had posted on all the boat sites. Most of them just headed me off when they asked me what area I was from. They told me to buy from my local dealer and just gave me the list price. It seams like these guys are a very close net of people, seams like they are very independant and do not care if they sell or not. Some of these guys even called this dealer and told them that I was trying to buy out form under them. There are 2 dealers 80 miles away the next closest is about 300.

Every one says buy at the boat show so I wait and go to the Cleveland boat show with cash and a bank check. This is one of the biggest on the East there were NO MALIBU dealers there at all. The others where there why not Malibu.

Does all the Crew pay straight retail and you are happy with that. That is what I a finding around here.

Am I out of line here Please tell me.

Dealers have what's called a territory they have to sell within, legit dealers will not sell outside their territory on new inventory. Used and leftover boats are fair game from what I understand.

Edited by 06vlx

I don't think anyone pays retail. I' m gonna say give him another chance. It's nice to have a dealer close. If it doesn't work, and you don't mind something slightly used, you could look for demo boats sold privately. A local guy who is also a member here, sells his demo boat (and gets a new one) every year.

I have tried compromise and buy from him I know all about service, and if I have a problem how many months would they make me wait for not buying from them. They give you a price almost retail and that is it. And why not Malibu backs them up with this territory protection. Great Racket

Edited by rodman

I have tried compromise and buy from him I know all about service, and if I have a problem how many months would they make me wait for not buying from them. They give you a price almost retail and that is it. And why not Malibu backs them up with this territory protection. Great Racket

IF I was in your situation (and I'm not since I have an awesome dealer with Waterski America), I would look at other brands. The dealer, IMO, is a large % of the boat ownership experience on a new boat. If you are offering a true realistic price for a new boat and they won't budge, go look at the other Mfg.'s boats. I know if I was a Mastercraft person and I had to deal with the local Mastercraft dealer here, I'd be looking at Malibu's real hard after seeing what some of these Mastercraft guys are paying.

IF I was in your situation (and I'm not since I have an awesome dealer with Waterski America), I would look at other brands. The dealer, IMO, is a large % of the boat ownership experience on a new boat. If you are offering a true realistic price for a new boat and they won't budge, go look at the other Mfg.'s boats. I know if I was a Mastercraft person and I had to deal with the local Mastercraft dealer here, I'd be looking at Malibu's real hard after seeing what some of these Mastercraft guys are paying.

I here you Ronnie like me being partial to Chevy's I am also very partial to Malibu's I have had 4 of them. Never any issues I just sold a 95 Flightcraft and the interior never had a stitch in the interior missing. MC cant say that they fall apart. I know MC's are at not bashful with there prices also. I just hate the fact that you are stuck with one dealer and he is not your choice.

I can not speak for other dealers but both of the dealers in the area are on prestigious lakes with lake homes exceeding in the millions. Do you really think they care about us normal working people. I tried to make a fair offer and was told we do not take offers just look around we get the prices we ask. They sit on boats forever till they get someone that money does not matter.

who have asked for service at dealerships that didn't sell the boat, and were refused.

Off the subject but i wanted to chime in on that last statement.

There are territories that dealers have but to be honest Malibu doesn't do anything to reprimand a dealer selling out of territory so it's a respect thing with neighboring dealers more than its the "law" with Malibu. That is why some dealers get mad when a out of state boat shows up in their shop.

Now a days most of the dealers that refused somebody service is out of business or on their way, talk about poor customer service. How would they ever win that customer to want to purchase a boat from the dealer denying service next time? Any Malibu owner is a customer of ours at Bake's any day, any time for service, warranty, etc.

-Paul

There are territories that dealers have but to be honest Malibu doesn't do anything to reprimand a dealer selling out of territory so it's a respect thing with neighboring dealers more than its the "law" with Malibu. That is why some dealers get mad when a out of state boat shows up in their shop.

Now a days most of the dealers that refused somebody service is out of business or on their way, talk about poor customer service. How would they ever win that customer to want to purchase a boat from the dealer denying service next time? Any Malibu owner is a customer of ours at Bake's any day, any time for service, warranty, etc.

-Paul

It's not just Malibus either. Take any inboard to Bake's for great service in the Seattle area. My buddy with a Mastercraft was getting so ticked off at the local Mastercraft dealer he's taking his boat to Bake's now and is much happier.

They have one guy over there that is on top of things (at the MC dealer) and was really trying, but that was it. You can't have one guy with that attitude, you need the whole company to have that attitude, as their culture, and that's what is at Bakes.

Edited by MalibuTime

It's not just Malibus either. Take any inboard to Bake's for great service in the Seattle area. My buddy with a Mastercraft was getting so ticked off at the local Mastercraft dealer he's taking his boat to Bake's now and is much happier.

They have one guy over there that is on top of things (at the MC dealer) and was really trying, but that was it. You can't have one guy with that attitude, you need the whole company to have that attitude, as their culture, and that's what is at Bakes.

:plus1:

-Paul

good to know.

props to those who extend service to all or else it's just not service (it's selective serviceYahoo.gif and we all know how well that works out).

Edited by tvano

This is super simple in my mind. If a dealer is arrogant, I'd walk too.

Buy used.

Let the folks who buy new take the giant hit. The market sucks. Arrogance is the attitude of 2007. If you buy a boat that was $55,000 in 2008, it'll be sub $40k now. If you work at it, especially this time of year, you can probably find $35k. Jmho. It's amazing how happy you can be with an extra $18,000 in the bank, and 95% of the exact same boat.