Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

factory gelcoat color matching

Calgary25LSV

I just bought a 2006 25 LSV with 60 hours that is absolutely pristine with the exception of 8X14 inch patch of cracked gelcoat low on the hull near the stern. The previous owner obviously smacked something but luckily there is no structural damage. The boat is the yellow with a charcoal stripe above. Does anyone have any idea if Malibu sells that particular color of gelcoat? The boat has been stored indoors so I don't think there is much in the way of fading so i"m really hoping to get my hands on the factory color. Any other ideas related to matching gelcoat color would be greatly appreciated.

Lovin' my Malibu!!!

Brad

Calgary AB

I just bought a 2006 25 LSV with 60 hours that is absolutely pristine with the exception of 8X14 inch patch of cracked gelcoat low on the hull near the stern. The previous owner obviously smacked something but luckily there is no structural damage. The boat is the yellow with a charcoal stripe above. Does anyone have any idea if Malibu sells that particular color of gelcoat? The boat has been stored indoors so I don't think there is much in the way of fading so i"m really hoping to get my hands on the factory color. Any other ideas related to matching gelcoat color would be greatly appreciated.

Lovin' my Malibu!!!

Brad

Calgary AB

Hi Brad,

Try this: spectrum color They will have what you need along with some pretty good over the phone advice if you need it. Welcome to the site, you will find a ton of useful information here. There are a lot of good people here, and I have made several true friends just because of my association with this site.

Edited by Ruffdog

Yeah, Spectrum makes Malibu's gels, call them and you should get a good match. Make sure you don't get a paste kit, get the liquid gel and spray (if you don't have a sprayer a Preval sprayer can be picked up at your local Sherwin Williams). There is also a lot of good info online if you do a google search.

Yeah, Spectrum makes Malibu's gels, call them and you should get a good match. Make sure you don't get a paste kit, get the liquid gel and spray (if you don't have a sprayer a Preval sprayer can be picked up at your local Sherwin Williams). There is also a lot of good info online if you do a google search.

Will a small touch up sprayer work?

Will a small touch up sprayer work?

Should if it can spray evenly. I've always stuck with Preval because it's what was recommended to me. Plus it's cheap, sprays evenly, and you don't have to worry about cleanup when you're finished (disposable - there is a chance of gel hardening in the sprayer's resevoir, if you mix the proper amounts of thinner and hardener though you have more than enough time to spray).

Edited by sp0tts

First you need to fix the damaged area then you can put the gel coat over it. I have had great luck repairing egg shell cracks with fiber gel made by Evercoat.

With the lighter colors make sure you get the area around the area of repair spotless. Try some of the color on something first before you but it on your boat. Some colors look different after they dry.

For an 8x14 inch area you need to have a pro do it, very hard to repair and spray that big of an area for a DIYer without it coming out all wavy and nasty looking.

-Chris

Thanks to all for the feedback. I contacted Spectrum and they have the factory California Yellow and Graphite gelcoat. I found a firm here that specializes in Gelcoat repair. I'm booked in for next week. It's all good!!! Cheers!

Hi Brad,

Try this: spectrum color They will have what you need along with some pretty good over the phone advice if you need it. Welcome to the site, you will find a ton of useful information here. There are a lot of good people here, and I have made several true friends just because of my association with this site.

Thanks Ruffdog. I took your advice and it all worked out. Much appreciated!! Cheers