Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Winterizing paddlewheel?

timjame0719

I'm pretty well set with most of the winterizing but have two questions that I was hoping to get answered. First, I found a piece of paper in my Malibu information packet that has the installation/owner's guide to a "Shorty Thru-Hull Speed/Temp Sensor with Valve" which I assume I have given that this paper came with all of my Malibu info. This sensor has a paddlewheel in it which I assume is how it measures speed. On this paper it says that this sensor needs to be winterized too by removing the "blanking plug" to let the water drain away before re-inserting it so trapped water doesn't freeze. Can anyone tell me where this might be located and how/if I need to drain this too as a part of the winterizing? It seems like I should be somewhat familiar with this sensor as it also says that the paddlewheel bearing only has a one year life before it needs to be replaced.

Secondly, I have four ballast tanks (hard factory tanks) in my VLX. I know that it has been recommended that you put in some RV antifreeze (to all four tanks) but I did read an article that discourages putting any antifreeze in them and just to blow them out with compressed air. I'm new to ballast tanks (none in my old Sporty of course) and was wondering what would be recommended between the two options. Any info would help!

Thanks.

P.S. Great site!

I could be wrong, but I think the blanking plug is what you put in when you are trailering so you don't wear out the paddle wheel sensor. It's a plug and cap that looks just like the speed sensor, just with a blank plug and no wheel instead of the open plug and wheel. They recommend you never tow with the paddle wheel in, so I think they assume you are starting winterizing with the blank in the hole. Unscrew it and let the water drain out so that it doesn't freeze and crack the plastic housing on the cap and plug.

Ballast? I have an LXI, so my ballast when I'm boarding are 4 kids on the back bench. I only wish I could winterize them.

I could be wrong, but I think the blanking plug is what you put in when you are trailering so you don't wear out the paddle wheel sensor.  It's a plug and cap that looks just like the speed sensor, just with a blank plug and no wheel instead of the open plug and wheel.  They recommend you never tow with the paddle wheel in, so I think they assume you are starting winterizing with the blank in the hole.  Unscrew it and let the water drain out so that it doesn't freeze and crack the plastic housing on the cap and plug. 

Ballast?  I have an LXI, so my ballast when I'm boarding are 4 kids on the back bench.  I only wish I could winterize them.

ROFL.gif:lol::lol:

I could be wrong, but I think the blanking plug is what you put in when you are trailering so you don't wear out the paddle wheel sensor. 

Um, yeah. I knew that and have been putting in that plug since day one everytime I trailer it..... :Doh:

I should look for that sensor and plug now.....thanks!

I love it. At first, I was a little worried that I would have regrets about not getting the Response or getting a two-year old or older Sunsetter. I just thought I was going to regret not having more of a traditional ski boat. But I gotta tell ya, so far so good. Wakes aren't perfect for either skiing or boarding, but are great for both, especially at our level as a family. We really enjoy the boat, but I've only put 40 hours on it since getting it this summer, so I'm still a Rookie!

You can't "blow" the water out of the hard tanks... there is always water in the bottom. I don't know what it would harm putting some rv anti-freeze in them. I don't know that they'd break from the water expansion though, since the water isn't "trapped"... maybe someone who has more experiance with freezing temps can help educate me

Hmm....well, I've heard from a few different articles about winterizing that you should put antifreeze in them. I just read one that said to blow it out and that was enough to get me wondering. I see and agree with you that you could still have water in them after just blowing air through it so I went ahead (to be safe) and put about 1/2 gallon in each. Took me an hour to figure out the best way to get them in there since they are all under the floor now. Mad.gif I'm sure I still didn't get the antifreeze in them the easiest way.

Anybody use WD 40 to soak the engine for the winter? I can't find that recommended Pennzoil anti-corrosive spray at any of the local marinas. I've heard that WD 40 can cause problems with the rubber hoses or seals. Is this true or would it be fine to spray the entire engine down with WD 40?

tim, I don't know about WD40 as a fogging oil, may be fine, but something tells me not to. Don't worry about finding Pennzoil at the marina, I believe Indmar fell into bed with Pennzoil's marketing dept. You can get your fogging oil at any AutoZone type store, Gold Eagle brand or others. For external engine protection, in honor of our missing member Tom Ruta, I'll recommend for him Boeshield® T-9, available here, developed by Boeing, made by PMS Products, a very unfortunate series of letters for a corporate name, in my opinion...be careful what time of the month you call their customer service department :lol:

:) Thanks. I'll check out the PMS stuff. I did use actual fogging oil for the engine but was curious about using WD 40 for the exterior of the engine. It sounds like it's safer to check out the stuff you mentioned. I've actually never covered my engine before with any anti-corrosive sprays on any of my previous boats for the winter (including my 02 Sportster) and haven't had any trouble with a rusty engine, but now this boat has just about doubled the price of the Sportster so of course I'm being extra cautious and wanting to do absolutely everything that I should to prepare it for a long winter.

For winterization stuff, this is what we do at the shop.

1) Don't worry about the paddle wheel, I've never touched one in anyboat, and you dont have to put in the blank when your trailering.

2) Empty the ballest tanks and drain the pumps, don't worry about antifreeze

3) I use some type of corriosion protectant on my motor when I lay it up, I think i used bioshield T9 this year because thats what iis laying in the shop.

Chris