Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2011 Wakesetter 23 LSV vs. 2010 MC X30

Hoosiervet

I have decided to sell my 2005 Sea Ray 240 Sundeck and purchase either a 2011 Wakesetter 23 LSV or a 2010 Mastercraft X30. I am truly on the fence and really like both of the equally priced boats. I have checked out both sites - the malibucrew.com and tmcowners.com - both sides believe their boat has a better fit and finish. I would like to know how you all feel about fit and finish, attitude adjustment plate versus power wedge, resale, seating, storage, towers. I would also like to know how you carry a skyski on the malibu? Any insight would be appreciated.

I actually have a hard time imagining anyone being on the fence.....to me either you like the angular/ in your face/ look of the Master craft or you like the refined/ classy look of the Malibu. Personally there is no contest as the two boats look so different. I believe either one will wakeboard/ surf awesome so that doesn't figure in.

Local dealer is important depending on how much work you do yourself. IMHO

FYI- I can't stand the M/C

Mastercraft makes good boats. You can't go wrong with Malibu or Mastercraft.

Frankly, your choice is made depending on whether you are buying new or not.

If you are buying used your choice should be made based on the best condition boat you can find at a fair price , brand not being as important.

Otherwise the dealer may come into play depending on your ability to do your own maintenance and repair.

FYI: We like the RuffDawg even if he hates Mastercraft boats.

FWIW - I had exactly the same dilemma - went with the Bu' - for the same reason Ruffdog pointed out - dealer and service -logistics played into it to a lesser degree as well. there's a ton of aftermarket stuff to accommodate any toy - so the foil shouldn't be an issue on the Bu - our V-drive has ample storage has been extremely reliable. the package we put together with our dealer had everything we wanted right out of the gates (aftermarket racks)and it was very reasonably priced. its a great looking boat and we're extremly satisfied with our decision.

I have the 2010 Malibu 23 LSV. As far as I know, it is the same as the 2011 with the exception of the touch pad in place of the MUX switches. I don't know the MC boat, so I will just give you my perspective on the Bu.

1) Malibu fit and finish leaves nothing to apologize for. High quality parts and craftsmanship everywhere you look.

2) The power wedge is the best wake shaping device I have seen. Using only the four factory ballast tanks and the power wedge, I can dial up a wake to satisfy any rider regardless of skill level. Without additional weight, the surf wave sucks.

3) Resale......I sold my last two Malibu's during the recession. I have no complaints with the final price on either boat.

4) The seating configuation and storage are optimal for the way I use my boat. If you order a 2011, ask the factory to put the seat cushion over the cooler on a hinge. If I had to move that big cushion every time I wanted something from the cooler, it would get old quick. If you order the shower, ask them to put the controls under the rear deck lid. Otherwise, they will be under a rear seat cushion which is not convenient at all. If you plan to use the Comptech trick release (some foilers do) ask them to use a steel sleeve on the tower tow ball instead of plastic.

5) The G3 tower is everything I could ask for, and then some. Super easy to lower and rock solid. There are several options for mounting speakers. You can mount speakers to the main hoop with a 3" clamp or the rear hoop with a 2 1/4" clamp. There are also several adapter plates that allow speakers to be mounted in the typical Illusion X factory location. Don't bother with the factory speaker shelf. My only complaint is the stowed position for the bimini. My bimini is either on or off, so the stowed position does not bother me. There is no quick fix for this that I am aware of. The standard G3 bimini is longer than the Illusion bimini it replaced. Coverage is good for an over the tower bimini.

6) If you already have a Comptech rack for your Sky Ski, you will need an adapter from Sky Ski to mount your rack on the G3. The adapter slides onto the G3 factory mounting plate and is secured by two set screws. Loosen those set screws and the rack slides right off. The same goes for the factory rack. Very slick set up.

The Malibu factory will accomodate special requests within reason. I don't know if MC will do that or not. I had 4 or 5 special requests when I ordered my last boat and Malibu nailed every one of them. They even sent a drawing of the boat with the custom color scheme I ordered so I could see what the final product would look like. I have owned 8 or 9 boats over the years, and this is the first one I have been completely satisfied with.

One last note......my current boat has the snap out carpet option with the tatami mat instead of carpet. The boat dries out quickly and there is no musty smell when the cover comes off. I highly reccomend it.

I have decided to sell my 2005 Sea Ray 240 Sundeck and purchase either a 2011 Wakesetter 23 LSV or a 2010 Mastercraft X30. I am truly on the fence and really like both of the equally priced boats. I have checked out both sites - the malibucrew.com and tmcowners.com - both sides believe their boat has a better fit and finish. I would like to know how you all feel about fit and finish, attitude adjustment plate versus power wedge, resale, seating, storage, towers. I would also like to know how you carry a skyski on the malibu? Any insight would be appreciated.

So what you're really asking is if you should get a pig of a boat that doesn't do anything very well and drives like a tank (X-30), or a boat that does everything very well except ski and drives like a boat much smaller than it is (23 LSV).

I say go for the LSV so you don't have to kick yourself later.

I was in an 08 23'6" MC (x2, x30, x45, x-gay, I don't know) and the layout of the main cabin didn't appear to be much roomier than my 21' vRide!! I don't care for MC either, not because of the boats themselves but mostly the dealings I've had with their owners and dealers...

NIce problem to have. Disclaimer: I am a MC owner. I have driven a 2010 LSV and I have been in a X-30, but I haven't driven it. I will give you my two cents.

Fit and finish: It's a toss up if you ask me. Yes, I drink the cool aid and I like how MC fuses the one piece topdeck to the one piece hull. However, Malibu's interiors are nice and plush. I like the MC interiors, too. Where BU has the edge, especially for 2011 is the new dash and touchscreen. MC's BIG sounds a bit more complicated and there is/was a thread on TT discussing how BU electronics are better than MC's. Edge to BU. MC might have a better rough water ride, BU will handle better.

Attitude adjustment vs power wedge, I would have to go with power wedge. Especially for surfing. I would have a power wedge for wakeboarding/surfing and a wakeplate for skiing/rough water. Hmmm....Maybe somebody should invent a way to have both?

Resale: BU. IMO there is more demand (depending on location) for LSV's than X30's. IIRC the X-30 hull has been around since 06, while the LSV has been around since 08.

Seating: MC. I like how the MC seats are deeper. Also, not a fan of the playpen bow. I know people love it and ballast is needed up there, but I don't. Gives me the feeling of being easy to be bounced out of the boat. Now if I was a kid again, I'd probably like it better? :)

Storage: Pick Em. Didn't really notice it too much. Both boats are big. MC has deeper seats so you can probably fit more in them, but the BU's rear lockers feel bigger to me. BU has the cool storage tray over the engine, MC doesn't. IIRC the BU cooler is built in and drains to the bilge, while the MC is portable. I have yet to see a used MC that comes WITH the cooler :)

Towers: BU. Simple stronger and folds easier. IMO that's what you want. I like the MC board racks better.

If I were you, I would get the LSV. Now if you compared the X25 to the LSV, I might have a different opinion. :) I would test drive both of them and like others have said, go with the better dealer. End of story.

Edited by skurfer

Please for the love of god go test drive the boats. The MC is a family boat with some sporting intentions, but the hull focuses on rough water, not watersports. The Malibu has 10x better tracking, way better wake, a more consistent wake, multisport capability, and still has an amazing ride.

As for the electronics- Malibu has a jump on everyone regarding the Big screens, presets, ipod integration. I have the manufacturer of Malibu's dash in my territory. After talking with those guys, Malibu did all the pioneering, and major changes first, and spent the big bucks, MC told them what they wanted, wouldn't change their boats, and in turn got a less powerful, cheaper system.

The Illusion G3 (innovation of the year) It hands down the best tower on the market. Mastercraft might have easier to engage board racks, but that is ALL.

post-56-128456030198_thumb.jpg

Please for the love of god go test drive the boats.

I highly doubt you'd go buy a car that cost $70,000 without a test drive, don't buy a boat without one. Construction and quality, both companies are top notch but there are some areas where each has an edge IMO. Resale, Malibu wins. My only beef with MC is I think they're overpriced. I think Malibu's are overpriced also, but MC much more. Wake, well I've yet to ride one I liked more than an LSV and I've been behind quite a few boats. Don't let my opinions or anyone elses make your decision though. I'd give the edge to the LSV, not because I own a Bu, but because I think it's a better boat. If you were comparing the LSV to an Xstar or X35 though, I think the decision gets a bit tougher. And like mentioned above, dealer should factor into your decision.

Oklahoma, where the wind comes sweepin down the plains...

I am confused about comments regarding MC, 'but the hull focuses on rough water'

I am on a large lake that gets choppy with weather and choppier by oversized cruisers.

My test drives in Malibu 23LSVX and MC X-35 had Mailbu winning without question, IMHO.

Which hull design has the reputation for smoother ride while getting to where you are going?

Once there, the Malibu wake speaks for itself.

i am leaning towards the BU, but have spent much more time riding an x-15. My other concern is that the x30 is discontinued for 2011 and am concerned about resale on a discontinued boat. How do you all feel about how Malibu's upholstery holds up over time (5 years)? As far as dealer support, I have never heard anything but praise for the local Malibu dealer. Does anyone have any concerns over the new touch screens for durability or water damage? i would feel better if they were warranted longer than 3 years. Also, does anyone have a dealer NADA book that can compare how a 5 year old MC compares to a BU. As always any insight is appreciated. Lots of decisions, followed by lots of Ben Franklin's.

i am leaning towards the BU, but have spent much more time riding an x-15. My other concern is that the x30 is discontinued for 2011 and am concerned about resale on a discontinued boat. How do you all feel about how Malibu's upholstery holds up over time (5 years)? As far as dealer support, I have never heard anything but praise for the local Malibu dealer. Does anyone have any concerns over the new touch screens for durability or water damage? i would feel better if they were warranted longer than 3 years. Also, does anyone have a dealer NADA book that can compare how a 5 year old MC compares to a BU. As always any insight is appreciated. Lots of decisions, followed by lots of Ben Franklin's.

I haven't been in another boat out there with vinyl interiors more durable than Malibu wakesetter series boats. Go find some used Bu's and MC's about the same age and see for yourself. As for the Malivue and such I'm through my second season with mine without any issues at all.

NADA doesn't mean jack in the used boat market, look at what people are trying to sell them for and how much they are actually selling for. It changes so much by region and season it's not even funny. NADA is nothing more than a guide, it's not the authority.

Mastercraft makes good boats. You can't go wrong with Malibu or Mastercraft.

Frankly, your choice is made depending on whether you are buying new or not.

If you are buying used your choice should be made based on the best condition boat you can find at a fair price , brand not being as important.

Otherwise the dealer may come into play depending on your ability to do your own maintenance and repair.

FYI: We like the RuffDawg even if he hates Mastercraft boats.

Actually I don't hate M/C.....I like the older ones just fine. The newer ones are ugly especially the gauges and dash.... think alien spacecraft. Put it this way....the german car companies would never produce such a thing.

Also, does anyone have a dealer NADA book that can compare how a 5 year old MC compares to a BU.

http://www.nadaguides.com/SectionHome.aspx?l=1&w=24&p=0&f=5601

You can run comparables yourself online through NADA's website, you don't need a dealer book. You could also try a site like only inboards or the classifieds on wakeworld. The tough part is first knowing MSRP on the model year you're looking at and then knowing what a realistic out the door price could be from respective dealers of each manufacturer.

I have an 04 and my upholstery is in great shape. I think care is more important to the ability of the interior to handel the years of useage.

REW

I saw some stuff come throught the pipeline this past year that showed Malibu on top of Mastercraft for nada resale. It wasn't a huge gap, both hold value amazingly well.

as for the vinyl, there is no other company that has better vinyl than Malibu, period

The Illusion G3 (innovation of the year) It hands down the best tower on the market. Mastercraft might have easier to engage board racks, but that is ALL.

edge,

Do you think it is worth swapping out and Illusion X for the G3?

Absolutely! as long as it's connected to a 2011 247 :)

They currently don't sell g3's as aftermarket towers

Or, you could "break" your Illusion X tower and then the only choice for replacement would be to get a G3 from Malibu since they can't get an Illusion X to replace it anymore. Saw a recent post that was linked from this site of someone on Wakeworld (I think) that had an older 23 LSV with a G3 and 20, yes 20, Bullet Hollow Points mounted up to it.

• 2 months later...

I have the 2010 Malibu 23 LSV. As far as I know, it is the same as the 2011 with the exception of the touch pad in place of the MUX switches. I don't know the MC boat, so I will just give you my perspective on the Bu.

1) Malibu fit and finish leaves nothing to apologize for. High quality parts and craftsmanship everywhere you look.

2) The power wedge is the best wake shaping device I have seen. Using only the four factory ballast tanks and the power wedge, I can dial up a wake to satisfy any rider regardless of skill level. Without additional weight, the surf wave sucks.

3) Resale......I sold my last two Malibu's during the recession. I have no complaints with the final price on either boat.

4) The seating configuation and storage are optimal for the way I use my boat. If you order a 2011, ask the factory to put the seat cushion over the cooler on a hinge. If I had to move that big cushion every time I wanted something from the cooler, it would get old quick. If you order the shower, ask them to put the controls under the rear deck lid. Otherwise, they will be under a rear seat cushion which is not convenient at all. If you plan to use the Comptech trick release (some foilers do) ask them to use a steel sleeve on the tower tow ball instead of plastic.

5) The G3 tower is everything I could ask for, and then some. Super easy to lower and rock solid. There are several options for mounting speakers. You can mount speakers to the main hoop with a 3" clamp or the rear hoop with a 2 1/4" clamp. There are also several adapter plates that allow speakers to be mounted in the typical Illusion X factory location. Don't bother with the factory speaker shelf. My only complaint is the stowed position for the bimini. My bimini is either on or off, so the stowed position does not bother me. There is no quick fix for this that I am aware of. The standard G3 bimini is longer than the Illusion bimini it replaced. Coverage is good for an over the tower bimini.

6) If you already have a Comptech rack for your Sky Ski, you will need an adapter from Sky Ski to mount your rack on the G3. The adapter slides onto the G3 factory mounting plate and is secured by two set screws. Loosen those set screws and the rack slides right off. The same goes for the factory rack. Very slick set up.

The Malibu factory will accomodate special requests within reason. I don't know if MC will do that or not. I had 4 or 5 special requests when I ordered my last boat and Malibu nailed every one of them. They even sent a drawing of the boat with the custom color scheme I ordered so I could see what the final product would look like. I have owned 8 or 9 boats over the years, and this is the first one I have been completely satisfied with.

One last note......my current boat has the snap out carpet option with the tatami mat instead of carpet. The boat dries out quickly and there is no musty smell when the cover comes off. I highly reccomend it.

Can you expand on the Stowed position for the bimini? How does it stow and what is the issue?

• 7 months later...

I am in the same boat right now, deciding between new 2011 vlx and used 2009 x30 with 40 hour. I will be demoing both ths week and will let you know.

I am leaning vlx right now even though the mtc scares me.

Edited by bamabonners