Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Found a New Oil Filter

For 23 LSV owners and mabybe some others, the oil filter is a pain to get to and even more of a pain to get off. The AC Delco PF25 I use barely fits between the housing and the raw water intake piping. It takes some seroius moves to get in and out

Went to the local AC Declo Jobber to get my typical filter (PF25). I knew AC Declo was phasing them out and was waiting to see what was happening. The replacment is a PF454 which is about 1" shorter. That extra space will be awesome to work with :clap: , less cusing and bleeding!!!

Some say this is a bad thing as you loose filter media but we change our oil so often it will make no difference. Unless something catastophic is happening you won't plug a filter on regular change intervals.

You can still get the standard length filter from NAPA etc but I'm for the option that gives me more space to work.

Just wanted to share a pretty solid filter option for us knuckle busters

Napa cross is the 7099

Part Number: 7099

UPC Number: 765809177307

Principal Application: Chev/GMC Trks + Vans w/ 7.4L, 8.1L (99-07)

All Applications

Style: Spin-On Lube Filter

Service: Lube

Type: Full Flow

Media: Paper

Height: 3.306

Outer Diameter Top: 3.660

Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed

Thread Size: 13/16-16

By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: None

Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes

Burst Pressure-PSI: 245

Max Flow Rate: 9-11 GPM

Nominal Micron Rating: 21

Gasket Diameters

Number O.D. I.D. Thk.

Attached 3.444 3.100 0.260

Cross for the pf25

Part Number: 1069

UPC Number: 765809135987

Principal Application: GM Family of Cars/Trucks (64-97)

All Applications

Height: 4.338

Beta Ratio: 2/20=2/26

Burst Pressure-PSI: 225

Gasket Diameters

Number O.D. I.D. Thk.

Part Number: 1060

UPC Number: 765809135901

Principal Application: Chevrolet/GMC Trucks (91-05), Hummer (93-06)

All Applications

Height: 5.178

Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes

Beta Ratio: 2/20=17/41

Burst Pressure-PSI: 270

Gasket Diameters

Number O.D. I.D. Thk.

Not to derail the thread, but has anyone installed an after-market remote oil filter? No matter how hard I try, I always spill oil in the bilge or otherwise make a mess when changing the oil. (07 VLX) My buddies 'other brand' boat has a remote oil filter, and it is *really* convenient. I'm not sure where I would put it in the VLX b/c it is all really tight back there, but still -- almost anywhere would be an improvement.

A few things you can do to prevent oil spilling.

let the oil drain out over night, this will draw a small amount from the filter.

put a bag or large rag around filter when unscrewing it.

take it to the dealer :lol:

I used a suggestion by someone else here awhile ago: Take a large ziploc bag (gallon size), roll down the sides a couple of times, loosen the filter with a wrench, put the ziploc over the filter so that the "rolled" part of the bag is up as high as it can go, unscrew the filter all the way, and let it fall into the bag. You will also end up with a bit of oil (unless you let it drain all night). I just did this last weekend, and worked great. I didn't spill a drop! I still did put an oil absorb cloth underneath, just in case, but I didn't even need it.

I am with you about the pain in getting it changed, though. I have the filter removal tool that fits over the end and then you can attach a ratchet. I can't even fit the ratchet due to lack of room between the filter and the raw water intake hose. I am definitely going to use the shorter filter next year (Wix 57099). I looked at the remote filter options, and I could not find a good place to mount it, and it was a bit expensive.

Not to derail the thread, but has anyone installed an after-market remote oil filter? No matter how hard I try, I always spill oil in the bilge or otherwise make a mess when changing the oil. (07 VLX) My buddies 'other brand' boat has a remote oil filter, and it is *really* convenient. I'm not sure where I would put it in the VLX b/c it is all really tight back there, but still -- almost anywhere would be an improvement.

I know it is tight in the engine compartment. What I did for a customer was made a bracket and mounted to the exhaust manifold.

• 1 month later...

Went to the local AC Declo Jobber to get my typical filter (PF25). I knew AC Declo was phasing them out and was waiting to see what was happening. The replacment is a PF454 which is about 1" shorter. That extra space will be awesome to work with :clap: , less cusing and bleeding!!!

Anyone using the PF454, or are you staying with the PF25.

Both are available.

Once you install a remote oil filter you'll wonder why you hadn't done it years ago. There is a reason they come standard on every new V-drive.

Peter :)

I used a trick from Ruffdog this year to get the filter out without spilling oil.

1. Lay a rag under the filter to catch a few drops of oil.

2. Sharpen a 1/4" brake line to a needle tip (the air grinder made quick work of this).

3. Insert the brake line into you Mityvac or extractor.

3. I then started a hole in the filter can with a punch and a hammer. Once you get a bit of a hole started shove the brake line through the can. You will loose a couple drops of oil, but once the brake line goes into the filter it will seal.

4. Pump up the Mityvac and suck the filter dry.

5. Pull out the brake line.

6. Unscrew a empty filter without spilling a drop of oil. Thumbup.gif

That 1794 thing would be poking about 4" out the bottom of my boat. I am planning to put a dual remote filter on my boat, just didn't have time this fall. Definatley the way to go so I never have to disassemble the right side of the engine (or left if you are talking boat or engine) again just for a filter.

Those little toy filters look like something you'd run on a Prius compared to My 1794 !

Seems like that giant filter would be overkill with how often (every 50 hours) I change the oil. Plus when you take into account how clean the environment is that the engine is drawing air in...the oil comes out pretty clean at the end of 50 with the Napa 1069. Is bigger always better? :dontknow:

I used a trick from Ruffdog this year to get the filter out without spilling oil.

1. Lay a rag under the filter to catch a few drops of oil.

3...You will loose a couple drops of oil

6. Unscrew a empty filter without spilling a drop of oil.

:crazy: So which is it? :crazy: Zero drops? :crazy: A couple drops? :crazy: A few drops? :crazy:

Make up your mind. :lol:

Seems like that giant filter would be overkill with how often (every 50 hours) I change the oil. Plus when you take into account how clean the environment is that the engine is drawing air in...the oil comes out pretty clean at the end of 50 with the Napa 1069. Is bigger always better? :dontknow:

:crazy: So which is it? :crazy: Zero drops? :crazy: A couple drops? :crazy: A few drops? :crazy:

Make up your mind. :lol:

It depends which step your talking about. LOL.gif I knew when I typed that someone would bust my balls.

The bottom line is it's a good way to get that tin can that used to be an oil bomb diffused out of the boat safely and cleanly. Thumbup.gif

Edited by martinarcher

It depends which step your talking about. LOL.gif I knew when I typed that someone would bust my balls.

The bottom line is it's a good way to get that tin can that used to be an oil bomb diffused out of the boat safely and cleanly. Thumbup.gif

Well if your quick and have a shop rag handy it will be zero drops in the bilge. The tiny bit that runs down the side of the filter is easy to wipe up.

Martin....Glad it worked for you. :) When I did it the first time I thought I was putting in to much effort......but then it worked so well. Just remember to keep the sharpened brake line handy. And you do need to start the hole with a sharp punch or awl.

Well if your quick and have a shop rag handy it will be zero drops in the bilge. The tiny bit that runs down the side of the filter is easy to wipe up.

Martin....Glad it worked for you. :) When I did it the first time I thought I was putting in to much effort......but then it worked so well. Just remember to keep the sharpened brake line handy. And you do need to start the hole with a sharp punch or awl.

I thought I was putting in too much work too until I spun the filter off.....wow that was as easy and clean as spinning the new filter on. Thumbup.gif

I hear ya, I pushed pretty dang hard on the filter with the brake line with no luck. Went and got the punch and in 10 sec I was sucking that baby dry. Biggrin.gif

The brake line now lives with the other Mityvac hoses.

I don't think the filter cost's me $10 and a couple extra quarts of clean oil available to the engine can't be a bad thing.

• 2 weeks later...

For 23 LSV owners and mabybe some others, the oil filter is a pain to get to and even more of a pain to get off. The AC Delco PF25 I use barely fits between the housing and the raw water intake piping. It takes some seroius moves to get in and out

Some say this is a bad thing as you loose filter media but we change our oil so often it will make no difference. Unless something catastophic is happening you won't plug a filter on regular change intervals.

You can still get the standard length filter from NAPA etc but I'm for the option that gives me more space to work.

Just wanted to share a pretty solid filter option for us knuckle busters

I use a K&N HP-2002 filter on my LSV. The filter has a 1-inch nut on the end of the housing which makes it a piece of cake to get off with a socket set. You can see a pic of the lugnut here:

http://www.amazon.com/K-N-HP-2002-Oil-Filter/dp/B000C3XDAE

Just my 2¢

• 7 months later...

I'm using a fram ph5 on my 95 merc. 350. That is the right filter right ? I know some people don't like them, but they've worked for me for a long time. Thanks in advance,

Steve B.