Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

new floor

infantrybu

I have a couple of soft spots in my floor. Ive decided to replace the floor has anyone done this. Is it a difficult job to do or is there a writeup anywhere on it i suck at using the search feature on this forum so I couldnt find anything.

I replaced the floor on our old Ski Centurion a few years ago. It wasn't too hard, just took a lot of time. The big mistake I made was not using the right kind of foam and laying the flooring in too early. I sprayed in canned expanding foam then laid the floor on top and let it squeeze out. Well, it pushed the new flooring up in a few spots and broke the screws I had used. We ended up with high spots...

I saw an episode of DIY about boats and I think the guy used a marine expanding foam, filled the cavity, then used a saw blade to trim off any that extended outside of the cavity then laid the new floor in on top of the cut foam and screwed it down. Not 100% sure but that's what I recall.

Something like this http://www.shopmaninc.com/foam.html once you scrape out all the old foam (assuming you need to refoam).

Does anyone know if under the floor of a '95 Sunsetter there is enough room for ballast tanks? Hmm..... If it is not that hard, I may try it.

• 2 weeks later...

well, im not to sure about under the floor ballast on a 95. Alought im sure it can be dont if you have ballast boxes insted of sacs, u might actually need to construct a box yourself thats not to tall, but more wide and lengthy. In my mind, I would just put 2 sacs in the back lockers and 2 more on the floor in the middle of the boat, and get some fat friends to jam all day with ya Surprised.gif

It's a pretty nasty job, get ready to spend some serious quality time with your boat...(30-50 hour job depending how you do it) if your floor is soft make sure to check your stringers too...

P

Does anyone know if under the floor of a '95 Sunsetter there is enough room for ballast tanks? Hmm..... If it is not that hard, I may try it.

Great idea but not in a sunsetter lx... move up to a sunsetter vlx and buy some external hard tanks, you can rig it just like the 02-04 ballast systems...

P