Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Backroll

martinarcher

Well my buddy beat me to it. LOL.gif We have both been sssoooo close to riding away from the backroll, but usually can't tame the rotation and the board kicks out from under us. Sat Dehan nailed it. His first was behind Mike's VRide at the WOW and the first one landed behind our boat was this last Sat on the Clarion river. The water was awesome...we had a blast.

Nice! Looks like he's been landing them forever!

Just a couple of tips for ya. Concentrate on getting a good jump, not so much on the super fast cut across the wake. This makes them higher & a bit easier to land because your not landing in a super aggressive cut (and casing the wake). Also, handle position is everything.... keep your elbows bent, handle in & low by your hip. If your under-rotating, hold it in towards the wake..... over-rotating, hold it to the outside of the wake (right side in his case).

So get the front roll first. It was easier for me to get it. I can spot the boat almost from take off. And while they can get big, I nail them even when their 3' off the water.

Nice! Looks like he's been landing them forever!

Just a couple of tips for ya. Concentrate on getting a good jump, not so much on the super fast cut across the wake. This makes them higher & a bit easier to land because your not landing in a super aggressive cut (and casing the wake). Also, handle position is everything.... keep your elbows bent, handle in & low by your hip. If your under-rotating, hold it in towards the wake..... over-rotating, hold it to the outside of the wake (right side in his case).

So get the front roll first. It was easier for me to get it. I can spot the boat almost from take off. And while they can get big, I nail them even when their 3' off the water.

Cool. Thanks for the advice Bill! The only thing I'm not clear on is changing the handle position to speed or slow the rotation. I've got the handle positioned low at my lead hip (I ride regular so it's my left hip) with my elbow bent. Do you mean the closer the handle to your body's axis (hip) the faster you rotate? If you pull the handle off your hip left or right it slows you down?

Dude I'm in the same situation with my buddy Travis (the one who bought the sacs) He and I are both so close. Hes gone on travel for the rest of the month so I gotta knock it down while hes gone!! :rockon:

Yeah man. Nail that thing before he gets back or you'll be in my boat. LOL.gif Oh well now he can give me pointers. Crazy.gif

Cool. Thanks for the advice Bill! The only thing I'm not clear on is changing the handle position to speed or slow the rotation. I've got the handle positioned low at my lead hip (I ride regular so it's my left hip) with my elbow bent. Do you mean the closer the handle to your body's axis (hip) the faster you rotate? If you pull the handle off your hip left or right it slows you down?

The closer the handle is to your waist the faster you'll rotate. If you let your arms out (away from your body) or let go with your back hand, that's what slows down your rotation. Sometimes people have to let their arms out towards the end of the rotation to prevent over-rotating or going to revert as the natural rotation of a backroll actually takes you to revert.

Yea, pulling the handle in to your left (lead) hip would speed things up, but make it more difficult to stop the rotation. I found it's easier to land if I go big, and IF I over-rotate, hold the handle to your trailing hip (right side) to slow things down a bit.

The more you do, the better your air sense will be, and then you will be aware of your rotation in the middle of the trick. For now, just concentrate on being consistent with your jump & rotation. If your constantly under rotating them, then either jump higher or hold the handle to your left side a bit. Also, pay attention to what your seeing..... sky, water, inside of your eyelids? I like to spot the boat (since it's the only thing that is consistent). Spotting the water will tend to make you keep your head down, which leads to a faceplant all too often.

Good luck & send us some video of your efforts! :rockon:

Yea, pulling the handle in to your left (lead) hip would speed things up, but make it more difficult to stop the rotation. I found it's easier to land if I go big, and IF I over-rotate, hold the handle to your trailing hip (right side) to slow things down a bit.

The more you do, the better your air sense will be, and then you will be aware of your rotation in the middle of the trick. For now, just concentrate on being consistent with your jump & rotation. If your constantly under rotating them, then either jump higher or hold the handle to your left side a bit. Also, pay attention to what your seeing..... sky, water, inside of your eyelids? I like to spot the boat (since it's the only thing that is consistent). Spotting the water will tend to make you keep your head down, which leads to a faceplant all too often.

Good luck & send us some video of your efforts! :rockon:

Cool. Thanks Bill. It helps to be close right now and get little pointers like that that might make the difference between sticking it and not.

I have my rotation pretty reliable. I am almost always coming down nicely on the far wake and the board comes onto the water about where it should in the rotation (or at least it seems to). I think my biggest problem is keeping the rope with my. I think my "crash sense" tells me to let go as I'm nearing the landing. I've even landed a few and glided into the flats only to realize the rope was going away from me with the boat. Frustrated.gif

I need to just stick the handle to my hip and hang on tight!

Now I know why you are going for the T3... :whistle:

Isn't that that truth! I was waiting for Bill to comment on that. LOL.gif He was too busy watching our form. Thumbup.gif

I tightened every bolt on the tower before his run too. That thing sounds scary! I don't think it would ever "let go", but I'm just used to a Titan being silent. I want that back plus I think the T III will look awesome. Rockon.gif

Isn't that that truth! I was waiting for Bill to comment on that. LOL.gif He was too busy watching our form. Thumbup.gif

I tightened every bolt on the tower before his run too. That thing sounds scary! I don't think it would ever "let go", but I'm just used to a Titan being silent. I want that back plus I think the T III will look awesome. Rockon.gif

Geez, I had the volume down when I watched the video.

That is scary. But frankly it's not unusual. You need to tighten all the bolts on the tower, top to bottom.

Monster makes a great design..... for shipping. They have great support, and great "talent" in the marketing dept. But of the installs I've seen, and ridden behind, they are noisy & tend to loosen up all too frequently. :crazy:

I have a buddy who installed one on a Prostar 190. He was so POed about the performance of the tower he sold the boat. :Doh:

Geez, I had the volume down when I watched the video.

That is scary. But frankly it's not unusual. You need to tighten all the bolts on the tower, top to bottom.

Monster makes a great design..... for shipping. They have great support, and great "talent" in the marketing dept. But of the installs I've seen, and ridden behind, they are noisy & tend to loosen up all too frequently. :crazy:

I have a buddy who installed one on a Prostar 190. He was so POed about the performance of the tower he sold the boat. :Doh:

Oh man....don't take it out on the poor boat. I guess if he bought a bu it was worth it. LOL.gif

Well my buddy beat me to it. LOL.gif We have both been sssoooo close to riding away from the backroll, but usually can't tame the rotation and the board kicks out from under us. Sat Dehan nailed it. His first was behind Mike's VRide at the WOW and the first one landed behind our boat was this last Sat on the Clarion river. The water was awesome...we had a blast.

Are you running the wedge in this video? Curious on how the wedge changed the wake on the ol sunsetter?

Are you running the wedge in this video? Curious on how the wedge changed the wake on the ol sunsetter?

Rob,

Yeah I was running the wedge and about 700 lbs of water in the walkway. I need to get some good quality pics of the wake with and without the wedge with the SLR for you. The wedge makes a huge difference on the amount of pop you get off the wake with this boat. It really adds a lot more "meat" to the ramp.

Be sure to give Dehan my congratulations. I want to see the video when you nail it!

I will! Hopefully the camera is running when I nail mine. Biggrin.gif Like Bill says, if it's not on video it never happened. LOL.gif

Rob,

Yeah I was running the wedge and about 700 lbs of water in the walkway. I need to get some good quality pics of the wake with and without the wedge with the SLR for you. The wedge makes a huge difference on the amount of pop you get off the wake with this boat. It really adds a lot more "meat" to the ramp.

Cool. I was running a bag in the ski locker, I modified the rear seat and had a bag in it plus 2 direct drive sacks. I think that is around 12-1500 lbs. I had a nice wake but the wedge definately will add some nice lip. Just curious how the sunsetter reacts to the wedge vs the new wakesetters etc. Similiar I would assume. How is the boat treating you so far?

I will! Hopefully the camera is running when I nail mine. Biggrin.gif Like Bill says, if it's not on video it never happened. LOL.gif

Believe me, video is a great training tool too! Seeing yourself ride, jump & your first big tricks will be an EYE OPENER! :yahoo:

Believe me, video is a great training tool too! Seeing yourself ride, jump & your first big tricks will be an EYE OPENER! :yahoo:

:plus1: I brought my flip cam the last time I went out and it gave me 10 things I need to work on.

Cool. I was running a bag in the ski locker, I modified the rear seat and had a bag in it plus 2 direct drive sacks. I think that is around 12-1500 lbs. I had a nice wake but the wedge definately will add some nice lip. Just curious how the sunsetter reacts to the wedge vs the new wakesetters etc. Similiar I would assume. How is the boat treating you so far?

We are loving it. The only thing about the wedge I don't like is the bow rise it adds. The good news is the boat really responds well to weight in the walkway so that seems to help combat the bow rise while adding even more to the wake.

I remember talking to you about you ballast system in you Sunsetter before doing my Skier's system. I almost built a rear seat with storage under it like you did on the Sunsetter. Thumbup.gif

:plus1: I brought my flip cam the last time I went out and it gave me 10 things I need to work on.

I believe that. I know the videos we took of our first wake to wake jumps told us many things. One huge thing was to stand tall. We though we were keeping our legs straight and couldn't believe how much pop we were giving away at the wake.

We are loving it. The only thing about the wedge I don't like is the bow rise it adds. The good news is the boat really responds well to weight in the walkway so that seems to help combat the bow rise while adding even more to the wake.

I remember talking to you about you ballast system in you Sunsetter before doing my Skier's system. I almost built a rear seat with storage under it like you did on the Sunsetter. Thumbup.gif

The only issue I found with my rebuilt rear seat was that some of the back support was taken away. But then again why should I care, I dont sit there :rofl:

Edited by old skool malibu

The only issue I found with my rebuilt rear seat was that some of the back support was taken away. But then again why should I care, I dont sit there :rofl:

LOL.gif So true. The only time I ever sat on the back seat was the day the boat was delivered. LOL.gif

Landed a backroll for the first time last night after trying for three weeks. Of course it had to be behind Aaron's(love2ride) boat too. What an awesome feeling though. Now on to front rolls and tantrums.

Landed a backroll for the first time last night after trying for three weeks. Of course it had to be behind Aaron's(love2ride) boat too. What an awesome feeling though. Now on to front rolls and tantrums.

Sweet! Congrats Mike! That is awesome! Any pics or vid of it?