Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

98 Response Steering

TomMcCauley

I've got a 98 response that doesn't have much, if any torque on the steering when I'm underway. I've noticed this with the wedge down (most of what we do) at about 21 mph. I haven't tried it yet it a more slalom type situation. I'm assuming this is not normal and that there should be torque on the wheel. When weighted in the rear I'm having difficulties keeping the boat tracking straight. As well, there is about 35 - 45 degrees of play in the wheel, which is contributing to the difficulties keeping it tracking straight. I thought when the steering cable went bad it would get real tight. Do my symptoms indicate a bad steering cable or something else? Any on water tests I can do next time I'm out to try to trouble-shoot the problem? As well, my steering wheel is about 90 degrees to the left when running straight. I've seen in other forums how to correct this, but I imagine this will just correct the position and have no other effect on the steering, correct?

If you have that much play in the wheel something is definitely wrong. Give the steering system a thorough inspection. My guess is you’ll end up replacing the steering cable.

Thanks...just want to make sure I'm headed down the right path so I am not throwing darts. Appreciate the help.

Check end play in the rudder, at wakeboarding speeds you won't feel that much if any torque steer. It really takes in at slalom speeds and above. With the wedge down and fully weighted the boat could easily have that "play" you are talking about.

Check end play in the rudder, at wakeboarding speeds you won't feel that much if any torque steer. It really takes in at slalom speeds and above. With the wedge down and fully weighted the boat could easily have that "play" you are talking about.

Thanks....so by checking at the rudder I'm assuming you're talking about moving the ruder back and forth and seeing how much play is there. Correct? Should there be any? If not, and it is present, does that mean bad steering cable?

Sounds like your rudder is neutral, ie zero rudder torque, as well.

I'll check it out over the weekend. A suggestion was made that at wakeboard speeds the rudder should act more neutral, so I'll pull the wedge up and move to slalom speeds.

As well, I'll check the rudder out as suggested and also check out the play in the steering with an unweighted boat.

Thanks for all the advice...will report back after the weekend.

Cheers!

I would troubleshoot three areas. 1. the steering cable for stretch, 2. the rudder assembly for play particularly in the tiller to rudder attachment and 3. the steering hub assembly u joint for play. Certainly, check all fasteners for thightness and joints for play. It does sound like you have a rudder set up for little torque.

Edited by Woodski

I'll check it out over the weekend. A suggestion was made that at wakeboard speeds the rudder should act more neutral, so I'll pull the wedge up and move to slalom speeds.

As well, I'll check the rudder out as suggested and also check out the play in the steering with an unweighted boat.

Thanks for all the advice...will report back after the weekend.

Cheers!

OK..

1. No play in the rudder

2. At slalom speeds (tested at 34mph, 36mph) I do have a moderate (but not crazy) torque pulling the boat to the right when I let go of the steering wheel. I always thought Malibu's pulled to the left, but maybe I'm remembering wrong.

3. Unweighted, no wedge, and at slalom speeds, the boat steered much better. With torque on the boat, it appeared to have little play.

4. Unweighted, no wedge, and at wakeboard speed, the boat steered fine, but with little torque on the wheel.

5. Unweighted, wedge deployed and at wakeboard speeds, the play returned to the steering wheel.

All this would lead me to believe it is the wedge causing the perception of play? The only thing I found odd is that I never noticed it and then all of the sudden it seemed to appear.

Everyone think with this information everything seems fine, or do you think I should still have it checked out?

I think you're fine and I think "perception of play" is the key word here.

Boat should pull to the right and how much pull tends to vary with boat to boat and on what previous owners may have done (eg file or grind down the rudder.