Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Transom Boat Buckle hooks cracking.....problems

Living the Dream

Anyone have problems with the "Boat Buckles" rubber coated hooks cracking? This is the 2nd pair that have cracked after 2-3 months. Boat is stored inside and fresh water only.

Thanks

post-10664-128422810077_thumb.jpg

post-10664-128422859453_thumb.jpg

My tie downs are un-coated galvi.

Seems to me that any coating on those hooks won't last considering the pressure that's on them.

Could you just razor the vinyl off and live with what the hooks are made of?

My tie downs are un-coated galvi.

Seems to me that any coating on those hooks won't last considering the pressure that's on them.

Could you just razor the vinyl off and live with what the hooks are made of?

I don't think that is possible since they will rust. I would think if they are stainless steel this would be better???

I have a similar buckle in SS and have had no problems. While not used on the boat I have had similar experiances with coated buckles as you describe.

Does boat buckles make it? Where did you get them..I did a google search....

Thanks

how about cutting off the vinyl and putting a layer or two of heatshrink tubing on there?

I appreciate your idea...but when you pay like 120 dollars for something and then after 2 months it cracks again and this seems to happen to everyone who buys them.....I could understand after 3 or 4 years the rubber dries out ...I shouldn't have to modify it for it to work...Its just poor quality in my opinion... :(

Frustrated

Mine's doing the same thing. They are the stainless buckles by "Boat Buckles" as well. I'm not too worried about it. Sure it sucks it is happening, but I'm a DIY guy and some rainy afternoon I'm working on the boat I'll come up with something better that doesn't cost too much.

There's something a lot like Plasti Dip on it now. If Plasti Dip is softer it might work. I'm liking the Tygon tubing idea myself. That stuff is really soft and pliable. I think if whatever we use is too had (like the original coating) is will just crack again. Cry.gif

Update ...Manufacturer sent me replacements that are Stainless Steel they are coated as well...lets see how these work out.

They might still crack at least they wont rust??

Any thoughts :whistle:

Update ...Manufacturer sent me replacements that are Stainless Steel they are coated as well...lets see how these work out.

They might still crack at least they wont rust??

Any thoughts :whistle:

I'm thinking I need to call about mine! Glad they hooked you up. (bad pun I know. LOL.gif)