Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2009 Wakesetter 23 LSV Slipping V-Drive

My V-Drive gears seem to be slipping whenever I have the boat loaded up for surfing. When I checked the transmission fluid, it smelled like it's burning and there are tiny black pieces in the fluid. The transmission fluid on the engine looks and smells fine. Has anyone ever had this problem before? I'm not loading the boat anymore than everybody else I've seen surfing or what I've read on other Crew forums.

My 2010 slipped a few times before I took it in for the 10 hr. service, no burning smell though. My service guy said when we have it weighted/leaning for surfing that it actually makes the level too low. (?) He told me he put in a little extra fluid to compensate for it. It hasn't slipped since then. My 2004 did it too. I changed the fluid to a synthetic and it stopped it in that boat. I'm thinking when I winterize this year I'm changing the fluid to synthetic and filling it up the exact amount that it's filled now.

I talked with my guy today. He's never heard of this happening either but recommended adding more fluid. Looks like it worked for Ronnie. I'll give it a shot. Thanks.