Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Kids wetsuit or drysuit

tmcb

Got the go ahead from the CFO the other day to purchase a wetsuit for our 2 girls.. The hope is to extend there season some. They both started to ski this year and I'm sure that they will want to go the first time out next year but the water will be to cold for them and I'm not waiting till June to go. They will be 4 and 6 by then and probably around 45lbs and 43-46 inches tall.

Anyone have any experience with this size?

What brand?

Is a wetsuit or drysuit best for this age?

Anything else?

Thanks

Todd

Getting your water temp would help answer the question better. I just ordered a Bare drysuit and they don't size down as small as your girls are. Their XXS is 95lbs an 5'2" tall. Your best bet will be a wetsuit and it should be good for them to about 65* or so. Depends on how they handle the cold.

The manufactures all make good suits, so just make sure the one(s) you get fit right.

My concern on the drysuit is whether your girls will accept the tight seals at the ankles, wrists, and neck. We're worried about the same with our daughter.

On the wetsuit, the biggest problem we've had is making sure the material in the joints (knees and elbows) don't bunch up on her. Also, make sure the seams are soft (nothing like your girl complaining about the itchy wetsuit).

I got shorty wetsuits for my kids this past year (age 6&7). I figured if it got too cold they weren't going to want to go in the water anyway. They worked great for my kids through the middle of September. We got too busy after that with soccer, hockey and cheerleading for the kids to do much skiing anyway.

My concern on the drysuit is whether your girls will accept the tight seals at the ankles, wrists, and neck. We're worried about the same with our daughter.

On the wetsuit, the biggest problem we've had is making sure the material in the joints (knees and elbows) don't bunch up on her. Also, make sure the seams are soft (nothing like your girl complaining about the itchy wetsuit).

I have all the same concerns especially tight around the neck. I would like to buy one for both of them but not sure I can find one that wouldl fit both of them.

Thanks for the tips and links

I bought a shorty for my 7yo from Overton's because he was complaining of being cold. Worked like a champ for him. But I agree with the above in that 1. the child may not like the tight seal and 2. if the water is that cold, they may not be all that enthused about having a cold head, feet, or hands.

How cold of water are you talking about? If its above 55 then I am fine with a wetsuit and below that I will pull out the drysuit. Everyone is different and some people will wear wet suits at 65* or a shorts at 45*

How cold of water are you talking about? If its above 55 then I am fine with a wetsuit and below that I will pull out the drysuit. Everyone is different and some people will wear wet suits at 65* or a shorts at 45*

It will be around 60 but to the little ones thats cold. The air temp will be in the 70's. Looking for something that will get them in the water a few weeks earlier.

Edited by tmcb

At 60 degree water temps I would put them in full wetsuits. Particularly if they are going to be spending any time in the water (deep water starts). Our daughter switches from the shortie to the full suit when the water hits the low to mid-60s unless the air temp is really high. She's never complained about being too hot in the water -- only too cold.