Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Replacing steering Cable

I have an 03 malibu 23 ft xti and the steering has become stiff. I purchased a new cable,(matched the part number) and am now considering whether I can tackle this removal/installation myself. Has anyone out there done this? if so, any advice on how to proceed? Thanks

I replaced mine this summer. I must say that it took me probably 6 hrs to do this. I'm sure the next time I could save a couple of hours now that I know how to do it. You should be able to do it yourself but it will be good to have some help when you fish the cable back to the rudder. There are several links that talk about it. The main thing is to make sure you tie a rope to the end of the cable after you disconnect it from the rudder. Once the cable is pulled through, then you attach the rope to your new cable and pull it back. The problems I had was first, the hole where the cable came through the floor of the boat was too small. I had to expand the hole to give me more room to pull it out. The other problem was just to find the screws in the foot rest/floor board under the panel. It turned out that they were burried under the floor carpet. Good luck!!! Mark

Edited by Modajones

Hi I am having a similar issue with my 05 v-ride. I was wondering where you found your part number??

Have you changed it out yet? I had a bit of a look at it today and it doesn't look that bad?

• 2 years later...

Have 99 Malibu Sunsetter LXI..Follow directions, I have pulled the old cable out with line attached..When new cable is attempted to pull through, it gets stuck at the floorboard just below the steering wheel.. Any suggestions? or anyway to access that area. Thanks, Chuck

Be sure to have a strong cord/rope well tied to the new cable. As your pulling on the rope have someone pushing on the cable. Once the new cable makes the turn it will go through pretty easy.

• Like 2

Have 99 Malibu Sunsetter LXI..Follow directions, I have pulled the old cable out with line attached..When new cable is attempted to pull through, it gets stuck at the floorboard just below the steering wheel.. Any suggestions? or anyway to access that area. Thanks, Chuck

A little confused by the description. Are you having trouble "making the corner", or getting hung up halfway down the tunnel under the floorboard?

To help make the corner, I used a Dremel to put a reverse bevel (hole gets bigger on the bottom of the floorboard, but stays the same size on top) on the hole. Night and day difference. If you are getting hung up under the floorboard (on other wiring, cables, etc.), I had to have someone help pull on both ends of the cable at the same time. The push/pull back and forth didn't seem to slip past whatever we were catching on. But, if we pulled both ends simultaneously to lift the cable up a bit, then slowly fed it through while keeping the tension on it, we were able to get past the tough spot.

First thanks for your help..are you saying you drilled a second hole you could reach your hand through to help the cable through and exactly where did you drill? Or did you enlarge the current hole? Chuck