Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Using Oil?

Doing what you do because it is what you always did when things were the way they were; has arguable merit in any situation including this one...at least in my opinion.

Here's a timely article in the NY Times last week about oil change intervals. If it were me, I'd consider the 3,000 mile car oil change interval the same as the 50hr oil change interval. It is what it is because it was what it was for all that time...even though a ton has changed since then.

Everyone is completely welcome to do whatever they please. It's their money, their time, their oil. All I'm arguing is that there are some really, really, really smart people that forget more about this topic every single day than I will ever know in my lifetime...those really smart people say that doing that is silly and they can back it up with science. Those that argue against that science typically do it with a argument that sounds similar to "it can't hurt...so I'll keep to 50hrs". And that's just fine. The oil companies appreciate the business. But it's NOT necessary unless a warranty clock is ticking.

In the time it took science to discredit the 3,000 mile interval, those that benefit from that interval mounted their own PR campaign, which many chose to believe and still do. It wasn't until those concerned with what to do with all that partially used oil, pitched a fit, that the mfr's felt comfortable writing more realistic intervals into manuals. It may be NEVER that indmar says 100hrs because the dealers like the service interval. I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing it's not covered under warranty and I bet it's a really expensive service interval. The dealers like that. And I don't blame them. Because they like it, doesn't make it necessary though.

Like always, I don't give advice, I only share what I think I know in case anyone is interested. Please don't flame me, it's just my opinion. And unless you send your oil out for analysis - your just guessing for the sake of arguing. If you are a 50hr owner who is out of warranty, only oil analysis will convince you that it's not necessary.

Actually you grossly oversimplified that sentiment. It's more like change it at 50 hrs like the owners manual says for the engine so if you're in an unfortunate situation of something happening to your engine the manufacture will stand by their product and not void your warranty for not following the maintenance guidelines. After warranty is up and it's your dime anyways it doesn't really matter what you do. Common sense really.

I doubt our boat engines would be considered normal use.

from the amsoil site:

Gasoline Engine Service

Two times (2X) OEM* recommendation, not to exceed 15,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first.

*Operating conditions and drain intervals for normal and severe service are defined by the OEM. Refer to your owner’s manual.

Note: Extended drain intervals are not recommended when using biofuels containing >10% ethanol or 5% biodiesel (B5). Follow OEM drain intervals or extend drain intervals with oil analysis.

another opinion:

Driving with the engine cold or under heavy loads, for example, requires more gas; but this excess gas can result in unburned fuel slipping past the engine piston rings, and contaminating the oil.

I like mobil-1 for car and boat engines. I also run mobil-1 gear case lube in my three outboards lower units. The mobil synthetic may actually be burned easier because it gets thru smaller parts easier. I like the cold start protection enough to use it at any price. I would think with those few hours that the rings are not yet fully seated. You may need a few hundred hours to fully seat the rings. In the mean time I would change oil often and keep checking the level.