Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

My intro to TMC

gvb

Hello!

Just picked up a super clean, fully loaded 98' VLX to replace my 89' MC ProStar 190. VERY nice upgrade!

Working on a few things while I am waiting on registration; replaced the heater core, packing is on it's way, full tuneup, perfect pass is also on it's way, and some touchup paint on the drivetrain.

Have a few questions:

- The two nuts that hold the bracket on the sundeck that the lift mounts to just spin. The lower one is loose, but not too bad, but the top one is loose enough so that the bracket isn't solid against the sundeck. Anyway to tighten those?

- What are the two small unmarked black rocker switches below the speedos on the dash for?

- While the boat is running the oil pressure gauge seems to reset (you can here the motor clicking and the needle drops before going back up to where it should be). Is this a completely bad gauge, or are there specific parts that can be serviced? (A servo perhaps?)

- Any writeups on a three piece sundeck conversion? I'd like to split the sundeck into 3 sections and have the outside sections open outward like the newer VLXs'.

-gvb

Congrats on the new ride! I don't have specific answers to your questions, but wanted to welcome you.

I live in Carlsbad, let me know where you take the new Bu out and maybe we can meet up.

Greg

Welcome to the site!

The small black rockers below the speedo on my Sunsetter LXi are speedo adjusters. One switches between the two pitots and the other adjusts the speedometer.

Sorry I can't help on the others...

- Any writeups on a three piece sundeck conversion?  I'd like to split the sundeck into 3 sections and have the outside sections open outward like the newer VLXs'.

Welcome to the site! I picked up a '99 Sunsetter vlx about 2 months ago, so I'm still figuring some stuff out myself.

I talked to my local dealer, and he said you can get the full sundeck off a 2000 (3 piece) to do the conversion for about $800. It should bolt right on.

- The two nuts that hold the bracket on the sundeck that the lift mounts to just spin.  The lower one is loose, but not too bad, but the top one is loose enough so that the bracket isn't solid against the sundeck.  Anyway to tighten those?

Those stripped out on a friend's MariStar. To fix it, I cut a piece of 1/8" plate aluminum (4" X 6", I think) and mounted the plate to the bracket with small machine screws. Then mounted the plate to the underside of the sundeck with sheet metals screws into new holes as the plate had a larger mounting area than the original bracket.

- The two nuts that hold the bracket on the sundeck that the lift mounts to just spin.  The lower one is loose, but not too bad, but the top one is loose enough so that the bracket isn't solid against the sundeck.  Anyway to tighten those?

Those stripped out on a friend's MariStar. To fix it, I cut a piece of 1/8" plate aluminum (4" X 6", I think) and mounted the plate to the bracket with small machine screws. Then mounted the plate to the underside of the sundeck with sheet metals screws into new holes as the plate had a larger mounting area than the original bracket.

Sweet Michael - way to step up and provide some useful info for GVB.. nice to have someone that actually helped the guy, the rest of us basically shook is hand, and and smiled Biggrin.gif

If the "pitot select" is in the center position it will take the highest reading. By doing that, if you get one side clogged up you automatically get the unclogged side. By taking the lowest reading or an average a clogged pitot would totally screw with the reading on the speedo.

Mike

One alternative to replacing the one piece hatch - assuming the reason you want to replace it is the fact that the hatch is slow to rise - would be to replace the hydraulic cylinder. Some of the companies that cater to the Lake Havasu/go fast type boats advertise hatch cylinders that are a lot faster than others. I recently got a catalog from one of them, then tossed it - sorry I don't recall the companies name.

I was thinking the same thing, but how thick is the sundeck? I'd hate to push a screw through the top of the vinyl! Or worst yet, step on the thing and jam the screw into my foot.

-gvb

back in 98 the two small rockers may be individual adjustments for each of two speedo heads.

This sounds correct. Those with only one speedo have the callibration, and average setting, etc... I think mine are one per each speedo.

Thanks again.

-gvb

BTW gvb... "My intro to TMC"

TMC (Team Master Craft) is where you used to go.

Now you're a part of 'Da Crew'. :)

Oh ya, do what Michael said.

- See Troy, we're not all just shaking his hand and smiling.

BTW gvb...  "My intro to TMC" 

TMC (Team Master Craft) is where you used to go. 

Now you're a part of 'Da Crew'.  :)   

Oh ya, do what Michael said. 

- See Troy, we're not all just shaking his hand and smiling.

Haha.... I have left the darkside ;)

-gvb

If the "pitot select" is in the center position it will take the highest reading.  By doing that, if you get one side clogged up you automatically get the unclogged side.  By taking the lowest reading or an average a clogged pitot would totally screw with the reading on the speedo.

Mike

Wish I knew this pre-perfect pass days!

GVB,

I'm glad to hear you found a VLX. I can't wait for summer to use mine. I was also curious on the 3 pc sundeck issue. When I have time I'm going to look into doing it myself. $900 might be worth it, though. I also need to make a windscreen for the walkthrough...........

I made a wind screen with aluminum channel and Lexan from Lowes. Hardest part is getting the dimensions for cutting the Lexan. A lot cheaper than the Malibu part, not as classy, but oh so functional.

I made a wind screen  with aluminum channel and Lexan from Lowes.  Hardest part is getting the dimensions for cutting the Lexan.  A lot cheaper than the Malibu part, not as classy, but oh so functional.

Do you have any pics or plans from when you made it? I might like to do that this winter.

I was thinking the same thing, but how thick is the sundeck?  I'd hate to push a screw through the top of the vinyl!  Or worst yet, step on the thing and jam the screw into my foot.

If memory serves, I used #10 x 1/4" sheet metal screws. Little stubby buggers. I pre-drilled the holes so no real point was needed on the screws. I hit the tips of the screws on a grinder so there wouldn't be any sharp points. 1/8" plate, 1/16" deck material left about 1/16" of a screw pointing up. You know I just recalled that I also put epoxy between the plate and the sundeck...JB Weld, I think.

Good luck. :)

I was thinking the same thing, but how thick is the sundeck?  I'd hate to push a screw through the top of the vinyl!  Or worst yet, step on the thing and jam the screw into my foot.

If memory serves, I used #10 x 1/4" sheet metal screws. Little stubby buggers. I pre-drilled the holes so no real point was needed on the screws. I hit the tips of the screws on a grinder so there wouldn't be any sharp points. 1/8" plate, 1/16" deck material left about 1/16" of a screw pointing up. You know I just recalled that I also put epoxy between the plate and the sundeck...JB Weld, I think.

Good luck. :)

Thanks... I might just see if I can figure out the best way to do this 3 peice sundeck conversion and tighten them then (if, with the vinyl off, I can get to the bolts and hold them so they don't spin.

I am thinking about cutting the existing deck into 3 pieces and wrapping the existing vinyl around the center piece, and then having a vinyl shop recover the outside pieces with pull straps attached to them like seat cushions.

Can someone post some pictures of a newer VLX with the hatches open? I can't seem to decide on what size hinges I'd need, and how much extra support I would need to add.

-gvb

Can someone post some pictures of a newer VLX with the hatches open?  I can't seem to decide on what size hinges I'd need, and how much extra support I would need to add.

Use 1 1/2" SS piano hinge. Yes.gif

Where do you find those specific hinges?

And for the support, it looks like I'll need to add support running from front to back (parallel with the engine side panels) on both sides to support the center and side peices AS WELL as right behind the seat running from side to side (maybe just a small lip in the center on each side). Do you think aluminum brackets would work the best?

I will definitely do a detailed writeup with tons of pictures once I figure this out and start digging in! I haven't seen one around.

Thanks again for the help guys.

-gvb