Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

ECU fault & won't start

jproboerson

I have a 2005 21 LSV with the Monsoon engine. 2 years ago it suffered freeze damage and the engine was replaced this spring. My dad and brother put about 4 hours on it and I put another 2 or so.

The second time I took it out, I turned the key on at the house to check fuel, the gauges didn't spin up and the LCD display read "NRES". I shut it off and back on again and the gauges came on and fuel was 7/8. I went to check the hours and expected around 155 but it read 0.0. I took it to the lake and ran the blowers about 5 minutes waiting to launch. We backed it into the water and it started just like normal, I shut off the blowers and the engine died. I just thought it was cold, but it wouldn't restart. It cranked over strong but it wouldn't fire. Then the LCD display started showing "ECU". We spent about an hour searching for any loose connections or anything but no luck.

Here's what I've tried.

1) Paperclip method to reset ECU with throttle cycle

2) Disconnecting batteries for about an hour

3) Checked EFI fuses: good

4) Disconnected and reconnected every connector I could reach

5) Turned the key on and checked fuel at the valve on the fuel rail: it only dribbled out

6) Fuel filter is clear

7) Checked the fuel pump with multi-meter: no power

8) Checked the connection about 6" up from the fuel pump: no power

9) Checked spark at distributor coil wire: good spark

10) It still turns over strong, but won't fire

The Malibu dealer is about an hour and a half to two hours away (through Denver traffic), closes at 6 and won't accept boats for service on weekends. I'm thinking about taking it to the Supra dealer which is closer and the service department seems more helpful and willing to work on the Indmar engine. Thanks for any help.

Newest info: The batteries are original, so about 5 years old. I put the charger on both of them yesterday until they were each charged up. I turned on the key and the volt meter did not move any. So I think I may have another rabbit trail to follow.

Newest info: The batteries are original, so about 5 years old. I put the charger on both of them yesterday until they were each charged up. I turned on the key and the volt meter did not move any. So I think I may have another rabbit trail to follow.

just like elmer says "Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting wabbits" LOL.gif

Well, I took it into the dealer and they found no output from the ECM so it's going to take a new one. I'm going to have them winterize it and deal with it in the spring. No telling when the snow is going to come to CO. Thanks for all the tips.