Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Best V-drive Malibu for skiing

Patro

Hi guys, just joined the forum.

I'm in the market for a boat. My problem is the wife wants a v-drive instead of a DD because of the interior lay out. That being said I love to slalom ski and don't care for wake boarding. The Malibu Wakesetter VTX was listed as a crossover boat by WATERSKI top ten reviews. Is this boat capable of a good slalom wake @ 30-32mph?

I know the Response would be my best option but I can't talk her into a DD.

Any other suggestions are appreciated.

I'm in the market for a boat. My problem is the wife wants a v-drive instead of a DD because of the interior lay out. That being said I love to slalom ski and don't care for wake boarding. The Malibu Wakesetter VTX was listed as a crossover boat by WATERSKI top ten reviews. Is this boat capable of a good slalom wake @ 30-32mph?

Awesome thread my man, because when it is time to upgrade (which will be soon) I will be in the exact boat your in (no pun intended). My wife wants and loves the layout of a v drive! NO NO NO on the direct drive! whats a fella to do?

The Sunscape 20 LSV would be a good place to start looking. A world class slalom boat with the layout of one of the vdrives would be killer if it came around - it would make boat buying much less of a hassle because this is one of the major areas of compromise.. that is ski wake vs interior space.

Here's a link: 2010 Sunscape 20 LSV

Edited by Wakes

Wakesetter VTX and Sunscape are both on the cut dimond hull. (ski hull) Pay attention to what hull you want and not what the name on the side is and you will get a world class ski wake. You can also look around in the forums section, or Pete or WakeGirl can post the link, and you can find the details of all the models both in production and out. incase you wanted to look for a used boat. Good luck in your search.

REW

The VTX and the Sunscape 20 LSV (2007-2011) are virtually the same boat if it is on the Cut Diamond hull (VTX can either be a Wake hull or the Cut Diamond). You want the Cut Diamond if your primary sport is slalom.

I purchased a boat this year and had similar criteria as you. I looked at the VTX as well as the Mastercraft X-14V and the CC 211. All three are considered to be very good slalom boats. I didn't like the layouts of the MC or the CC. For cost reasons, I ended up buying a 2003 Malibu Sunscape 21 LSV. The 2002 to 2004 Malibu 21 LSVs (as well as the 2001 VLX) were all built on the same hull as the Response...the SV23 Diamond hull. They changed hulls in 2005 for the 21 LSVs. Prior to the introduction of the VTX in 2007, these boats were considered some of the best V-Drive boats for slalom.

I am very happy with the slalom wake on my boat, but I am no expert. I find it much softer and flatter than my buddy's MC X-14 (direct drive version), but not as flat as my neighbour's Response LX.

I wouldn't rule out the V-ride, a good value - while not a cross-over boat - I've run the course on the slalom and can't complain, I've loaded the ballast and dropped the wedge and thrown some huge air on the wakeboard and surfed the wake right out of the box - lastly - dumped the ballast, pulled the wedge and done some fantastic skating. just my 02 cents

info here on 2 of the best slalom V-drive boats made. If a VTX isnt in your budget (07 or newer) than a 2001 - 2004 21LSV would be a great option as well. Toward the bottom of that thread I posted a link to another thread in which I've posted pictures of both a VTX slalom wake and a 21LSV. I've owned both boats, and they both make a GREAT slalom wake! :thumbup:

I was in the exact same boat as you as far as compromising with the wife on a V-drive vs. Direct drive so after some research we decided on a 2008 sunscape 20 and love it. Keep the weight in the rear to a minimum and the wake is as flat and soft as you will get in any V-drive.

You can get a little bit of an idea of the wake from this vid that I posted from my vacation. It is about 33-34 mph @ 22 off with about 1/3 tank of gas and 3 people on the boat. The wake is better IMO at 28 off. It will get a little bit bigger at 30-32 mph.

I own a 2010 VTX with the diamond cut hull and am very impressed with the slalom wake. Now I am not an expert skiier but for a v-drive the wake is excellent and you can do other things with this boat as well. I am getting into surfing now and wakeboarding and this boat works great for that too. I don't think you will be disappointed if you go with a new VTX and there is still plenty of room in the boat to make your wife happy too. Remember happy wife happy life. Good luck with your purchase.

I am a skier with a 09 LSV 20 and I have to say I love my wake better then Two of my friends Response's. I don't get the pop off the out side wake going to my off side like i do with the Resonse at 15 and 22 off. I had 2001 VLX before this boat and I thought that had a pretty good wake but this boat is the best in my eyes. It also has a great surf wake beleave it or not. Have no taken the LSV through the course yet but I'm sure it will do just fine with the extra width in the beam. Hope this helps. Dana

Go with the 427 (LS7) Z06 Corvette engine

It's aluminum. less weight in the back, more power.

Lose the wedge

Go with the VTX and option the Diamond cut hull

Go for the lighter swim platform....I don't know which.

Rock on!