Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ski pylon stuck, need suggestions to free it up

The ski pylon on our 07 Sunscape is stuck in the down position. It seems to be galled in the nylon ring. I have tried everything to free the POS up, but it does not want to move. It seems the tolerances in the nylon bushing ring are way too tight.

Anybody have any suggestions on getting this freed up?

Any one else have this problem?

I had the same problem with my 2005 VLX.. All I did was to Pry it up with a claw hammer, then I took a file and filed a little of the Nylon ring away and problem solved... I think that Nylon Ring Swells a little and holds the pylon in place...

Thanks for the response. We have tried everything to get it to move. I am going to use a pipe clamp to see it I can get it up. Then I'll file off some of the nylon bushing.

The ski pylon on our 07 Sunscape is stuck in the down position. It seems to be galled in the nylon ring. I have tried everything to free the POS up, but it does not want to move. It seems the tolerances in the nylon bushing ring are way too tight.

I had the same problem. Just kept spraying the pole with WD40, alot of it inside that plastic ring. After a while I was able to push it up from below. Hope this helps

Is the boat inside? The nylon ring swells when it heats up in the sun. Park the boat in the shade or gargage and let it cool down. Then you should be able to pull the pylon up and remove it. I used a brake cylinder honing tool to open up the hole a little bit.

Do a search... There has been a lot of discussion on this same topic.

I know that nylon 6 and nylon 6/12 absorb water as does delrin to some extent. I would think of three methods that might help get it unstuck..... These are just untried ideas so people that have unstuck them may be better sources... here goes.. Water can swell nylon , so maybe use a hair dryer to dry out the nylon.... let it cool and see if the moisture gone helps... Lubes like triflow or even mobil-1 motor oil can seep into tight places and maybe lube the parts that are tight to more easily move them... parts shrink when cold.... maybe dump a bit of ice on the pivot and see if the parts contract a bit and they have more room to move...

Ice up your pylon=contraction.