Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

VTX tower placement illusion vs G3

chadwick02

Can anyone tell me if the location of the G3 tower on the 2010+ boats is in the same spot as the illusion sat on the 07-09 VTX's. I'm looking at getting a cover for my 2011VTX, but wondering if a cover made for a VTX with an illusion will fit?

Any chance someone with a VTX with an illusion tower could take a measurement from the back of the boat to the back of the tower base?

Cover will only get used a few weeks a year at the most, so it does not have to fit exact, but does have to work good enough.

Thanks!

Chad

Thats what I suspected too.

can someone with a VTX with an illusion tower confirm tower placement. On my 2011, the G3 is:

from front of tower base to back edge of windshield: 25.5"

from back of tower base to the end of the flat spot on top of the gunnel (rear of boat) 46".

Trying to figure out if I can get either a commercial sewing or great lakes cover made for a VTX with an illusion tower instead of an evolution cover. It will save me about 400 bucks and the boat sits on a lift of in a garage 99% of the time!

Thanks!!

I'm beginning to wonder if im talking to my self here, 150 views but no measurements? Help a homie out!

Someone with a VTX w/ illusion x please post measurements from the back of the windshield to the front of the tower base, and from the back of the tower base to the end of the flat spot on the gunnel.

Thanks in advance!

I'm beginning to wonder if im talking to my self here, 150 views but no measurements? Help a homie out!

Someone with a VTX w/ illusion x please post measurements from the back of the windshield to the front of the tower base, and from the back of the tower base to the end of the flat spot on the gunnel.

Thanks in advance!

You can try to email/call Cory from Evolution. I am sure he has all the measurements/patterns..

The mounting is dramatically different, I currently don't have a illusionx equipped VTX laying around, but I'm certain the cover from an illusionx boat won't work on a G3.

Why not order a CS cover for the G3?

Thanks in advance!

17-1/2" to windshield / 54-1/2" to end of flat gelcoat right by the hatch edge and back edge.

thanks for the posts everyone! I guess according to malibutime's numbers putting a cover for an illusion x on a boat with a G3 just wont work too well. If it were a few inches I'd try to fudge it, but 8 +/- is a bunch. Maybe this is not a good time to try and cut corners...

If anyone has a used VTX cover for sale (G3 or illusion), give me a hollar. I'd be willing to modify a used cover, but at this point it sounds like buying a new cover just isnt going to be a close enough fit.

Thanks again guys!

Chad

thanks for the posts everyone! I guess according to malibutime's numbers putting a cover for an illusion x on a boat with a G3 just wont work too well. If it were a few inches I'd try to fudge it, but 8 +/- is a bunch. Maybe this is not a good time to try and cut corners...

If anyone has a used VTX cover for sale (G3 or illusion), give me a hollar. I'd be willing to modify a used cover, but at this point it sounds like buying a new cover just isnt going to be a close enough fit.

Thanks again guys!

Chad

Is it on a lift that is covered? If that is the case you might be able to get away with little bit oversized cover (think dust cover) and fold the tower down first and cover it all. A bit cheesy but might be the cheap way out.

Is it on a lift that is covered? If that is the case you might be able to get away with little bit oversized cover (think dust cover) and fold the tower down first and cover it all. A bit cheesy but might be the cheap way out.

Yes, covered lift and garage kept all but maybe a week or two out of the year if we go on a trip with it. Sits on the lift for 6 months a year, but never goes for more than a day or two without use (we live close to our lake house), so it does not sit unused for long on the lift, and the canopy keeps it real dry. I opted not to order a cover from the factory, figuring I'd get a custom cover from evolution for not much money more.

But, there was a dealer who posted up here a few days ago with pretty good prices on a factory commercial sewing and great lakes covers. From what I understand an evolution cover is still better, but if I could make one of these covers work reasonably well I'd go for it. But at this point it looks like they really wont fit a boat with a G3 well, and after spending time modifying a new cover that cost me a few hundred bucks and still might only fit marginally well, I might as well spend the extra money and get an evolution that will fit great and is made for the boat. Unless of course someone had a used cover on the cheap, that I wouldn't mind chopping up and modifying to fit a G3.

Have you checked ebay? Whenever I go on there and search for "Malibu boat", the results include about a zillion boat covers. I've not really paid attention to the models or price though.

Have you checked ebay? Whenever I go on there and search for "Malibu boat", the results include about a zillion boat covers. I've not really paid attention to the models or price though.

Yep, I sure have. I actually picked up a new cover a few weeks ago off ebay for less than a hundred bucks! Said it would fit a 07-09 VTX, for the price it was worth a gamble to see if I could make it fit around a G3 tower. Great cover and actually appears to be very well made, BUT it does not seem to fit at all, its just too short and too narrow. ,No way will it fit, 6" short of the rub rail all around. Seller has been great and will take it back I'd sell it to a crew member if they were interested, but I've got no idea what it will fit?

The other covers on ebay seem to be 4-500 bucks, If I'm gonna spend that I'll just bite the bullet and buy an evo.

I guess I'm trying to be uber cheap here yet expecting a perfect fitting cover. Duhhh.