Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Leaking heater due to missing hoses

Picked up a 2005 Vride with dual heater. Was measuring for a sub box when i noticed both water hoses at the heater had been cut off. Its been wet under the drivers feet but thought it was from our cracked fittings we had on the ballast tanks. Do i have to run all new lines now? Dont know how far they were cut back but the person could have at least bypassed the system.

Picked up a 2005 Vride with dual heater. Was measuring for a sub box when i noticed both water hoses at the heater had been cut off. Its been wet under the drivers feet but thought it was from our cracked fittings we had on the ballast tanks. Do i have to run all new lines now? Dont know how far they were cut back but the person could have at least bypassed the system.

You should be able to use a fitting to extend the line to the heater, but the fitting will restrict the flow. This shouldn't cause any mechanical problems, just a little cooler of a heater.

When you say 'dual heater', I presume you mean two outlet heater (single heater unit)? The hoses may have been cut to bypass a cracked heater core. Of course, if that was their goal, you would have expected them to join the two ends together with a 5/8" brass hose barb and a couple hose clamps (stainless steel). Are the other ends of the hoses still connected to the engine?

To answer your basic question "do I have to run new lines?", the answer is "depends, but probably not". When they cut the hoses, did they leave the cut off section of the hoses attached to the heater? If so, hose barbs/clamps can be used to rejoin the hoses. If not, you might only have to replace the cut off section and rejoin with the hose barbs.

But again, if you connect it back up, don't be surprised if it is still leaking from a cracked heater core.

You can also look at the heater to see if the end of the hoses are still clamped on to the fittings and were cut off flush with the fittings. If the heater is bad, you can swap out the core (or the whole heater unit)and there should be enough slack in the hoses to reconnect them to the new heater. When I changed the heater core in my boat this summer, I could not get the hoses off the heater fittings and I cut the hoses flush with the heater. I still had enough slack to reconnect the old hoses to the new heater.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll check it out tonight...they must have bypassed it and tucked the hoses into the floor cutout bc the fitting and an inch piece is still clamped to both fittings on heater module. Either way i will replace the entire unit. They even left their tools behind the facade when i unscrewed the footrest. Need to get the heater fixed...it gets cold down here in Tampa, FL! Lol

Im adding a heater to my boat does anyone have any pictures or could take some pictures of how the factory installed heaters in these boats i have a 247 not that that should make any difference

thanks

Ken