Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Looking at 97-2001 Response

WBL skier

I am considering buying a Response or Response LX (1997 through 2001). I've never had an open bow before. I believe that the hull is identical between the closed bow response and open bow LX.

Can anyone confirm this?

How does the LX drive with people in the front?

Can you put adults up there for wakeboarding or even for a cruise without the front bogging down?

Is it true that the weight of the wedge on the back of the boat (even when up) creates a noticeably larger slalom wake? I ski into 38 off and want the best slalom wake possible, but I also do some wakeboarding from time to time and would like to have the option of a larger wake.

As to the year (1997-2002) does anyone have any input on what year is best in terms of interior set up/controls/options (ie perfect pass, etc.)?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

The boat handles people in the front beautifully. Don't worry about bogging down at all, you'll barely notice them in the boat, I suppose a couple people up there would make the wake a little better for boarding.

Weight in the front is going to be a bigger problem than weight in the back as far as your slalom wake. That being said, I don't have the wedge(or plate) and have never skied a boat that did... I am also the type that keeps less fuel in the boat to stay lighter. So maybe? Either way it will still be world class.

My boat has perfect pass digital pro.

The ski wake is great on a Response LX. Better than an MC 197, Sunsetter, and my Spyder.

The bow area is pretty cramped and will not be used regularly for adults because of the stepover. The primary advantage of it is when docking. We put our coolers, fenders, and zippered boat bags up there when we use Terry's LX.

The LX is not as group friendly as the MC 197, an RLXI, or a Sunsetter as you would expect. Each of those has enough bow room to seat an adult, maybe 2 while skiing.

In the west they are the value ski boat because of the great wake, high availability due to a long production run, and the considerably more costly Response LXI.

Someone else may have a comment about wakeboarding but in my opinion you cannot expect much because an LX is designed to be low slalom wake.

I am considering buying a Response or Response LX (1997 through 2001). I've never had an open bow before. I believe that the hull is identical between the closed bow response and open bow LX...Can anyone confirm this?

Same hull / different deck.

How does the LX drive with people in the front? ... Can you put adults up there for wakeboarding or even for a cruise without the front bogging down?

Depends. If you have people sitting on the backseat to help counter-balance the weight up front, no problems. If you're towing a skier / rider from the pylon then no one is sitting in back and when you cut throttle your chance of dunking the nose goes up exponentially. The front playpen isn't exactly spacious so putting adults up there is a squeeze.

Is it true that the weight of the wedge on the back of the boat (even when up) creates a noticeably larger slalom wake?

No. That sounds like the kind of silly thing a MasterCraft owner would say. :lol:

As to the year (1997-2002) does anyone have any input on what year is best in terms of interior set up/controls/options (ie perfect pass, etc.)?

IIRC.....

1997 is not on the diamond hull

1998 is on the diamond hull but has no ski trunk at the transom

1999 - on has both the diamond hull and the trunk