Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sad news at Dale Hollow Lake

Soon2BV

From the Purdue Exponent Newspaper -

On Saturday, a Purdue student was killed in a boating accident.

Kathryn Traynor, a senior in the college of Nursing, was at Dale Hollow Lake in Pickett County, Tenn. on Saturday night. The boat she was in ran ashore and flipped on top of her, according to local reports. Alcohol may have been involved in the accident.

Traynor was 22 years years old and was from Long Grove, Ill.

We saw the boat on Saturday morning. It was a 21 foot or so runabout and was upside down near the shoreline of a small cove. It appeared the driver tried to turn to avoid the bank, and then hit the shore at an angle and flipped over. There were 7 on the boat, 6 were treated at a local hospital. Kudos to the rescue team that had to find them at 3 AM on a dark lake and transport them to a marina (about 2 miles by water) and then to a hospital.

Special thoughts and prayers for the family of this young lady.

We were at the lake with our family and extended family, including 6 young adults between 18 and 25 who are college students or recent grads from Purdue. Makes you pause for a moment and I am thankful we all stayed safe.

Condolences to the family.

I cant help but wonder how fast that boat must have been going to flip when it hit bottom, at 3am? You simply cant see far enough ahead.

I spent a week on Dale Hollow last year on a houseboat. We would go out for night cruises with just the adults and one thing I am sure of is you don't want to go much over idle without a spotlight. It is totally black on the lake at night and the shoreline there just blends in to the water. Its just too bad a young girl had to lose her life over something that could have been avoided with a little bit of caution.

Condolences to the family.

I cant help but wonder how fast that boat must have been going to flip when it hit bottom, at 3am? You simply cant see far enough ahead.

I Agree.. I can't believe, out of Seven people on the boat no one said "hey maybe you should slow down" Maybe I have too much common sense but if I can't see where I am going, I am sure that I would not be going fast enough to hit the shoreline and flip my boat. It is very unfortunate that a young girl had to lose her life over stupidity..

Hard to believe that alcohol wasn't involved cruising out at 3A.M.?....just a senseless accident and while tragic she should accept some of the responsibility of putting herself in harms way. That may sound callous but at some point you need to take control if no one else will. The driver should be convicted if reckless driving/alcohol was indeed involved. One of these days alcohol will be banned in boats just like cars. It's already banned on my local lakes shoreline but not on the water due to two different policing agencies...just amazing.

According to some other reports, excessive speed was not involved. It sounds like the driver tried to turn to avoid the shore and wolled when he (or she) hit it. There was a pretty high level of investigation of the accident scene on Saturday (they did not move the boat until late Saturday afternoon) so they may be able to determine what happened and how.

Yes, sad is an understatement. Though I can't help but wonder what a college student is doing on the lake at 3am and how much alcohol was involved. I would assume it was mom and dad's boat. If so, I wonder if they knew she was out.

We didn't see the boat, but we did have a pretty good discussion about it at the camp ground just around the corner from where it happened. We were told that she was driving.

The accident happened around 2A Fri night/Sat AM - 3AM for the rescuers to make it there.

It's always a sad day when something like this happens - on the lake or off.

Amazing to find 8 people who would use such poor judgement. Why would anyone go boating at 2AM when it's pitch black outside? Sad to say the least, but not surprised at the outcome at all.