Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Lets talk about boots

Guest GalaxyToad

I'm with you Brian. Considering the kind of crashes I take I don't want that force multiplying lever arm attached anywhere. Even with the rear laces pulled tight on the SF Animals this hasn't been a problem.

That's interesting, GT. Like I said before, with the lace-up overlays on my SF Animals I never came out of the boots. In fact, I couldn't even get my feet out at the end of a set without reaching down to loosen them. And in case anyone is wondering, the bindings never felt 'too tight'. My feet don't cramp, even at the end of a long set. Those bindings are just really comfy, and happen to hold my feet really well.

As for releasing or not, to each his own. I have never come close to feeling like I was going to get hurt with both feet strapped to the stick. I have wiped out with only one foot coming out (with an older ski, and on the current CDX after going to the Wiley overlays), and while I haven't been hurt that way either, there is no doubt I was more at risk in those falls.

Bottom line for me is that if I could know that every time both feet would release, then I'd be OK with that. But that is just something I have never found realistic.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SunriseH2OSkier

• NorCaliBu

• skisix@38

• HRemington

I know exactly what you're talking about. Animals are extremely comfortable and tend to build suction the longer you wear them. More times than not I have to reach down and loosen the laces just to get out. That being said, it turns out that my first reaction a split section into the crash sequence is point my toes by reflex. That's why I come out so easy. If that isn't your first reaction I can definitely see why this style boot could be a problem.

I don't consider this a 'problem'. I am comfortable not releasing, because I know neither foot will release. (And I have lots of experience falling this way! Biggrin.gif ) Or at least that was the case with the HO overlays. The Wiley's overlays do not hold so reliably, which is why I was considering new boots going into next season.

I know exactly what you're talking about. Animals are extremely comfortable and tend to build suction the longer you wear them. More times than not I have to reach down and loosen the laces just to get out. That being said, it turns out that my first reaction a split section into the crash sequence is point my toes by reflex. That's why I come out so easy. If that isn't your first reaction I can definitely see why this style boot could be a problem.

I don't consider this a 'problem'. I am comfortable not releasing, because I know neither foot will release. (And I have lots of experience falling this way! Biggrin.gif ) Or at least that was the case with the HO overlays. The Wiley's overlays do not hold so reliably, which is why I was considering new boots going into next season.

While 1 foot in/1 out is the worst situation, you can get seriously injured staying in the ski in certain situations. The most common situation I've heard where injury occurs while staying in the ski is OTF at the ball. There is a guy on the water ski forum who recently broke both feet during an OTF fall around the ball. He stayed in his D3 bindings.

Edited by Addictedto6

Well, this is just great. Due all the helpful input, I've narrowed my choice down to

either Approach, Animal Superfeet, Venoms, possibly one of each, or hard boots, unless I wait for the new D3 boots, but some of that depends on whether I decide I'd like to keep both feet in or completely seperate from the ski, that is as soon as I decide now whether I should be on a wider ski until I'm ready for something faster...maybe I'll work on barefooting next season...then again, maybe not.

Well, this is just great.  Due all the helpful input, I've narrowed my choice down to

either Approach, Animal Superfeet, Venoms, possibly one of each, or hard boots, unless I wait for the new D3 boots,....

:lol: I was thinking the same thing. Clear as mud. :lol:

Yahoo.gif

So today I worked a little extra time into my schedule to look for some new boots... Whistling.gif ...you guys are probably wondering when it is that I actually work... :lol: ...Anyway, I stopped by a few H.O. dealers to try on the Animal Superfeets & the Approach boots. [sidenote: UWS in Rohnert Park sux as bad as all the other locations]

Well the Mastercraft place in Santa Rosa had both and I tried them on. The Approach boots were comfy but Kevin's experience scares me and I like a higher wrap, the Approaches seem really low. The Animal Superfeet bindings are soooo much nicer than the pre-superfeet Animals. They still had their 05's marked at full pop (like $375 for the pair). I told them I could get them online for $275 and offered them $300, they said "no". :(

Tried a few more places with similar results and was about to give up and order from Wiley's. I was driving right past Hammer Ski & Marine in Petaluma so I dropped in. This is where the Yahoo.gif comes in...they had one pair of mediums that had been in their "demo" fleet that had never gone out. :) They sold them to me for $150 for the pair. Yahoo.gif I couldn't say no. Biggrin.gif

After I walked out with my new boots I called one of my ski buddies to brag Biggrin.gif and he said "well, let's get those things wet tomorrow morning. Today was a great day and tomorrow is gonna be better. :)

Yahoo.gif 

So today I worked a little extra time into my schedule to look for some new boots... Whistling.gif ...you guys are probably wondering when it is that I actually work... :lol: ...Anyway, I stopped by a few H.O. dealers to try on the Animal Superfeets & the Approach boots.  [sidenote: UWS in Rohnert Park sux as bad as all the other locations]

Well the Mastercraft place in Santa Rosa had both and I tried them on.  The Approach boots were comfy but Kevin's experience scares me and I like a higher wrap, the Approaches seem really low.  The Animal Superfeet bindings are soooo much nicer than the pre-superfeet Animals.  They still had their 05's marked at full pop (like $375 for the pair).  I told them I could get them online for $275 and offered them $300, they said "no". :(

Tried a few more places with similar results and was about to give up and order from Wiley's.  I was driving right past Hammer Ski & Marine in Petaluma so I dropped in.  This is where the  Yahoo.gif comes in...they had one pair of mediums that had been in their "demo" fleet that had never gone out. :)They sold them to me for $150 for the pair. Yahoo.gif I couldn't say no. Biggrin.gif

After I walked out with my new boots I called one of my ski buddies to brag Biggrin.gif and he said "well, let's get those things wet tomorrow morning.  Today was a great day and tomorrow is gonna be better.

Whow what a steal! Shocking.gif

Congrats!

For 150 $ there's really no question whether to buy or not ...

Well, after skiing the SF Animals I gotta say...I like 'em. :) More comfy footbed (foot didn't cramp up) + the lace-up allows a little firmer fit for better edge control. Anyone using pre-SF Animals, I would encourage the change over to the SF lace-up version. I still haven't written off hard boots but for $150 I couldn't resist.

Any skiers in Nor Cal...Hammer Ski & Marine in Petaluma had 1 pair of Large and 1 pair of XL 2004 SF Animal bindings that would be the same price. I don't think anything but the external graphics changed from 04 to 05.

After I walked out with my new boots I called one of my ski buddies to brag Biggrin.gif and he said "well, let's get those things wet tomorrow morning.  Today was a great day and tomorrow is gonna be better. :)

Nothing like a Left-Coast Braggart.

Oh, and Hank, leave the bindings on the shelf. Can't beat stepping off the platform with nothing but a handle. You can do it, old man. I did.

Re hardshells.....

I am a podiatry student and therefore i have a good knowledge (or should have Crazy.gif ) of the anatomy of the leg and how it works.

my biggest concern in skiing injuries is the knee and what im about to say all revolves around the knee...

when i do try hardshells and feel it can improve my skiing enough to use them i have a few theories about safety and things i would never do.. (im currently on an animal and RTP)

firstly i would never use a harshell and RTP or rear soft boot (maybe an animal rear but never just an RTP), plenty do though. Marcus Brown and Will Asher come straight to mind and they obviously like it and it works for them. The release of all the systems is just too inconstient for my liking and could easily result in Cry.gif

Personally i would never use double ski tech's... tragedy waiting to happen (i do like the look of the boot though), im not dissin em but you wont get me in them

dont mind fogmans appart from the fact you have to drill more holes into your ski, so no for me

Goode's. are good, i really like the single plate set up and i think is safe. the boots are nice and simple too

Fluid motion double six Yahoo.gifYahoo.gif are the way to go IMO

they are safe ( both release at the same time) and you dont have to drill new holes. also i think it is the least restrictive of ski flex out of all of them, even better than animals or all soft boots. a guy i ski with uses them and likes them and overall IMO they are the best, although they are the most expensive. but worth it.

When i do try hard boots i will be going to k mart and buying a $40 pair and bolting them to HO plates, is a lot cheaper than $400 US to deside you then do not like them.. if i do im not sure i would want releasable boots

i am not suggesting you all go out and try this, but this is what i may do..

use caution!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if anyone else with a medical background can add i would much appreciate your oppinion.

In 50 degree water, my approach boots feel as stiff as hardshells.

In 50 degree water, my hardshells get warmed up in hot water in advance and my feet stay nice and toasty

You don't get 50 degree water! What do you know Tongue.gif

We do, but not until sometime in december. It will actually drop into the 40s for a little while.

Water temp last week was 59 degrees. Skiing tomorrow, it's going to be 72 air. hopefully the wind stays down!

Yahoo.gif

For me Venoms too soft, Approach too hard, Wileys highwraps just right

I've never riden in the Wileys but have worked on several skis that had those boots mounted, from that I can't understand how someone could think that the Wileys are stiffer then the Venom's. I'm not saying that you have to believe me, only that I don't understand your statement that the venoms are too soft reletive to the Wiley's. Are there different Wiley models maybe.

Addicted, how long did it take you to get normalized to the 66's? By that I mean how long did it take to get the 66's mounted in the spot you rode back to your average run?

I'm jealous of the water and air you have right now, be careful of rubbing it in. I might show up at your lake with my thumb extended.

Anyone want to give a review of the D3 highwraps?

It's a KD VISE. They are a little more supportive than the Venom but not as much as approach. The only superfeet I've ever riden in I didn't care for because all the support was around the top of my foot and not up above my ankle. So I think that the vise are better then the superfeet. Your description of the superfeet is much different then mine so I don't know what you'd think of them.

Addicted,  how long did it take you to get normalized to the 66's?  By that I mean how long did it take to get the 66's mounted in the spot you rode back to your average run?

That's a tough one for me because I switched after my injury and missed 12+ months. I'm still not back to where I was, but I think that's largely due to my foot & lost time.

I had just started to hit about 1/3 of my 28off passes before I got hurt. Right now I'm about 1/3 of my 22off :(. My pre-turn is really messed up.

I might show up at your lake with my thumb extended.

Any time!

• 3 weeks later...

GT -- you'll need to determine where you're foot is in relation to your ski again. When switching from Animals to Phantoms/Approach, I think your heel is moved forward on the ski 1/4 - 3/8" when using the same bolt holes. But who knows what you've got after switching front to back.

i keep wondering why finding the right bindings, getting the right plate and having them hold up is such a big problem.

what junk.

what pricy junk.

i no more than get comfortable on my setup then something goes wack and i'm back changing it. i don't do change well.

can't imagine the kids that make this crap think they are selling more of their own gear 'cause they use unique plate patterns. sure is a pia to find just the right stuff then have to find some way to piece this crap together.

did i mention that for the $$ this stuff should hold up better?

did i use the word crap too much?

crap.

The screws holding the plate to the bottom of my front boot (Animals) were originally installed by someone with a poor sense of perpendicular, and no feel for when they stripped one out. Mid way through the first season, I'm standing on the platform after strapping on the ski. I leaned back a bit reaching for the rope, and 'POP!', the front boot comes loose under the toes. Pi$$ed me right off, 'cause I couldn't take a second set. Mad.gif

Ended up getting some marine epoxy to fill in the holes and re-set the screws. The Animals have made it through a season and a half that way, but they are ready to be retired.

Picked up a set of Approachs Saturday morning. This time I was smart enough to flip them over and check the screws before buying - they look good. Must have bought a new screw driver! Tongue.gif The rest of the boots look like they are assembled well too, although as GT points out, the velcro is definitely too short. And every pair I've looked at are the same way. Apparently they now need to hire someone who can measure length properly... :Doh:

Hey Bill - I'm assuming the straps are anchored by those same screws holding the heel pieces in? Did you have to put any new holes in the strap anchors, or did the existing ones line up readily?

Those look like mine, strap wise and I haven't had any problems getting the strap to synch up. The reason for it being so far back is that it's supposed to keep your heel from coming up, the laces keep your foot good n snug. Moving the strap forward starts to relieve the mechanical advantage of the strap. Now, I agree with you that if you are looking at different sets of boots and the straps are in different spots that is bad. The front and back boots are a little different though, is that where you see different strap placement?