Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hip Replacement and still wakeboarding

Lance B. Johnson

i am a year past due for a hip; work getting in the way and able to continue slalom/chasing balls without too much pain (till the day after). My ski buddy had a THR a few years ago and continues to ski in to 32 off and barefoot pain free. My other buddy has had both TKR one year apart and is pain free. Both continue to ski with their doctor's blessing.  the surgeon I will use told me, no problem, you are a good skier and in good shape so can ski 12 weeks after surgery!  I have talked to other surgeons that discourage skiing after joint replacement, so find one that is happy with you continuing your passions.

Edited by Rednucleus

That's great to hear. I'm not a skier, but would be comfortable with that. It's the impact of wakeboarding I'm thinking is best to avoid. Snowboarding I'll also jump back into. 

I had a THR due to necrosis and was walking like a pirate for a few months. Feels like new now, so super happy with it overall and don't want to mess it up. Wakeboarding is hard on the rest of the body anyway. 

Edited by jkurtw
1 hour ago, malibu2004 said:

At 52 I use the risk verse reward allot in my life now. 5 years ago, I was hair on fire as hard as I could go 24x7x365. Cancer, 2 ACL surgeries and a shoulder replacement (sever arthritis and multiple bone spurs) in the near future has changed my life dramatically and my mentality towards working out. I stretch for an every day and do acl rehab exercises 3 or 4 time a week even though my last surgery was 18 months ago. I'm terrified to tear my acl again.  

Running is out, forever. I ran for 30 years and had to quit cold turkey due to bone on bone. I struggle with this because I loved running and I coach middle school x-country and have to ride a bike now. I also ran my fastest 10k at an average pace of 5:56 per mile when I was 47. The older I got the more I oved running. 

Lifting, I've had to significantly reduce the weight and higher reps for everything. Absolutely nothing above my shoulders. If I get stupid my body reminds me of my choices the next day. 

I still waterski and surf. I am careful letting go with one hand waterskiing and depending on how I'm feeling I might keep both hands on the handle. I could wakeboard and do 180's and mess around without jumping but I just don't see a reason for it. 

I snow ski but my days of living in the tree's, moguls and double blacks have been reduced. 

I ride a mountain bike allot but when I'm trail riding I have to be careful not to go over my handle bars. I've almost gone over a couple times and if I land on my should it would destroy it.  

I'm not going pro in anything, my lively hood doesn't rely on sports. I need to make sure I can still be active when I'm 70 and not broken. 

My main point is sometimes you need to think about longevity. You will think differently as you age. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. 

Yeah, you can still kick youngsters' butt on the mountain!

Edited by obski
14 hours ago, obski said:

Yeah, you can still kick youngsters' butt on the mountain!

yep they do not want to race me from top to lift bottom, they have to stop and breath😂

On 9/17/2021 at 4:27 PM, malibu2004 said:

My main point is sometimes you need to think about longevity. You will think differently as you age. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. 

Great perspective... Thank you! Focusing on longevity makes a lot of sense.