Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hip Replacement and still wakeboarding

Lance B. Johnson

He does well.

Was footing most of the way up to the surgery. He said as long as he was able to get a load onto his feet before putting much muscle into it - he was OK.

He's more comfortable now. Footing is a little different than boarding as it a bit more static, but more forces applied to get into & keep your body in the correct position.

Everyone is different & his injury & recovery may be different than what you would experience.

He does well.

Was footing most of the way up to the surgery. He said as long as he was able to get a load onto his feet before putting much muscle into it - he was OK.

He's more comfortable now. Footing is a little different than boarding as it a bit more static, but more forces applied to get into & keep your body in the correct position.

Everyone is different & his injury & recovery may be different than what you would experience.

Ya of course. I'm staring down the barrel...making the decision Oct 5th. Wakeboarding may influence my decision to wait or to get it done.

A friend of mine used to ride for Tige. Now in his early 30's, he is still throwin' down after hip replacement, but his sets are shorter and fewer.

Good news for sure. Do you know if he has had any problems of dislocation after the replacement? Not that I will be doing anything dangerous except crashing.

Edited by Ruffdog

I would think it has a lot to do with overall health, age and pain endurance.

The decision is tough because it cycles. I was miserable in June and July I could wakeboard but I could not sleep. All of August I felt like I could go jogging and have had no problem sleeping.

Thus the reason it is a decision and not absolute.

Good news for sure. Do you know if he has had any problems of dislocation after the replacement? Not that I will be doing anything dangerous except crashing.

Not that I know of, but I don't know him that well or see him much since he moved back to Florida. I do know the surgery did not keep him down for long. I will see about getting an e mail address so you two can compare notes.

I ran into a fellow in Florida a couple of weeks ago when I was down for ski school, he was 60 and still slalom skiing after hip replacement. Said he felt good and wasn't having any issue with it which was good news to me (having two bad knees and a sore hip myself...).

As for wakeboarding... I don't know man, if you're doing a lot of hard landings I'd think that would be a lot different from footing or slalom on a replacement hip. Wouldn't think the impact would be a good thing for it. As stated earlier age, physical conditioning, pain threshold etc would all have to be factored in. My 2 cents.

Ed

Edited by ed obermeier

Ruff,

You pretty much will have the replacement from your description, just a matter of when. Is the hip worse during wakeboard season ? I've only had the simple arthroscopic knee surgery. It seems logical that any pounding activity would be bad.

Worst case scenario is that you have to ride your bicycle more and run less. Maybe go to surfing (I hear it's all the rage) or possibly go back to waterskiing.

You could research what the therapy is after the replacement. That might be the determining factor.

All of August I felt like I could go jogging and have had no problem sleeping.

Based on that, I'd say therapy is a better bet. Have you done a lot of therapy already? The people I know that have had any joint replaced are in constant pain or have horrible range of motion, so the decision is a no brainer. Just going off little info, I think you should wait and get with a good therapist.

Based on that, I'd say therapy is a better bet. Have you done a lot of therapy already? The people I know that have had any joint replaced are in constant pain or have horrible range of motion, so the decision is a no brainer. Just going off little info, I think you should wait and get with a good therapist.

The diagnosis in my case is femoral avascular necrosis.....essentially the ball has collapsed and is now very much egg shaped. The only option is replacement. The question is really "when". I wish therapy would help.

If I can still wakeboard I will just get it done.

Ruff,

You pretty much will have the replacement from your description, just a matter of when. Is the hip worse during wakeboard season ? I've only had the simple arthroscopic knee surgery. It seems logical that any pounding activity would be bad.

Worst case scenario is that you have to ride your bicycle more and run less. Maybe go to surfing (I hear it's all the rage) or possibly go back to waterskiing.

You could research what the therapy is after the replacement. That might be the determining factor.

Or maybe the wakeskate....theres a thought. I love surfing but it will get boring if thats all I do. Might be a good excuse to talk my wife into a 23' though.... :)

I can't help with the Hip but one of my ski buds had two knees replaced two years ago. He was back on a slalom in 5 months.

The first month was painful after. Month 6 all was well. One year later he is skiing better then ever.

Wow I thought I was reading my own mind ED. "ed obermeier (having two bad knees and a sore hip myself...). I have been putting of seeing a Dr. and don't want to do it but getting very worried about Obama care. :Frustrated::unsure:

My brother in law is a candidate for a knee replacement (actually both knees). But since he's so young (39) and active the doctor's won't do it because depending on various factors it will only last so long and you can only do it once, after that the femur and tibia would be like swiss cheese if they tried to do a second replacement. Not sure if it's the same for a hip...?

My brother in law is a candidate for a knee replacement (actually both knees). But since he's so young (39) and active the doctor's won't do it because depending on various factors it will only last so long and you can only do it once, after that the femur and tibia would be like swiss cheese if they tried to do a second replacement. Not sure if it's the same for a hip...?

Revisions can be done.....they are more complicated. I will never make it to fifty and I am certain I will need a revision.

The diagnosis in my case is femoral avascular necrosis.....essentially the ball has collapsed and is now very much egg shaped. The only option is replacement. The question is really "when". I wish therapy would help.

If I can still wakeboard I will just get it done.

Ruff

My mom (55) had both hips replaced 2 days apart back in March. After doing a lot of homework she found the surgeon she preffered and had it done. She is still moving a bit gingerly but is very pleased with the result so far. While talking with her it sounds like there are many differt types of replacement that will allow for different lifestyles.

She has 2 15 inch 'racing stripes' from the surgery. My parents are avid boaters (not wake sports) and will continue to be now that the surgery is done.

I know a guy who had his hip done and still wakeboards. He rode at pretty high level before the surgery, but doesn't ride often and usually sticks to wake to wake stuff when he does ride. He actually surfs far more than he wakeboards now. I think if your expectancy is to do S-Bends and crazy tricks into the flats, the hardware may not hold up. If you're just planning to go wake to wake I'd think you'll be alright. I'm by no means an expert, but my brother in law is a pretty highly regarded hip surgeon in Philly and he probably does as many surgeries as anyone in the US (normal for him to do 12 a day twice a week). I have asked him about because I have a 63 year old friend I ride with who's been having some hip problems and he told me he would let a him wakeboard. I would definitely be up front with your doctor first and let him know your intention. Some will tell you you can't wakeboard. I'm not sure if it will affect the hardware they put in you, but asking questions about the hardware, being honest with your doctor, and doing some research are definitely in your best interests as there are a few companies that make the hardware for hips. Knees and hips are totally different too.

Edited by sp0tts
  • Like 1

I know a guy who had his hip done and still wakeboards. He rode at pretty high level before the surgery, but doesn't ride often and usually sticks to wake to wake stuff when he does ride. He actually surfs far more than he wakeboards now. I think if your expectancy is to do S-Bends and crazy tricks into the flats, the hardware may not hold up. If you're just planning to go wake to wake I'd think you'll be alright. I'm by no means an expert, but my brother in law is a pretty highly regarded hip surgeon in Philly and he probably does as many surgeries as anyone in the US (normal for him to do 12 a day twice a week). I have asked him about because I have a 63 year old friend I ride with who's been having some hip problems and he told me he would let a him wakeboard. I would definitely be up front with your doctor first and let him know your intention. Some will tell you you can't wakeboard. I'm not sure if it will affect the hardware they put in you, but asking questions about the hardware, being honest with your doctor, and doing some research are definitely in your best interests as there are a few companies that make the hardware for hips. Knees and hips are totally different too.

I am low on skill.....but I love it enough that it would be tough to give up. Certainly the bigger risk for me is crashes as i won't be doing anything big. Thank you for posting this though very helpful. I am worried about what the doctor will say, thats why I want to know if other people are doing it.

Edited by Ruffdog

Dang that is a lot of hips!

I am low on skill.....but I love it enough that it would be tough to give up. Certainly the bigger risk for me is crashes as i won't be doing anything big. Thank you for posting this though very helpful. I am worried about what the doctor will say, thats why I want to know if other people are doing it.

My best ski buddy is also my family doctor (very convenient!), he tends to take a different view of things since he is involved in the sport and knows the rigors etc. Just because one doctor who doesn't know the sport says NO doesn't mean it's got to be taken as gospel. There are actually a lot of physicians who ski and board out there (I have several high level orthos, chiros etc who are customers and really serious skiers i.e.) who can give you a more balanced view of things. Worth the hunt to find one IMO. Best of luck to you.

Ed

• 11 years later...