Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Engine bogging down

I've had little time on the water with my 03 Sunsetter the last two years bec. of an engine problem I can only describe as bogging down under a load. The symptoms point to fuel system although I wouldn't be surprised if there was also an electrical issue. I've replaced fuel pump, regulator and filter. Last week along w/ the regulator, we replaced the distibutor cap, rotor and plugs just to be safe. I got 2 normal operation hours on the lake before it started again; loosing power, no upper end and a backfire. W/ little use in two years, I thought old fuel could be a problem but I've probably cycled it now. I did through in a can of Sea Foam on Sunday and it did well for another 90 mins before the same thing and I limped back to the dock- HELP!

No, the shop cleaned the injectors and soaked the fuel lines over night in a cleaning solution. Then I ran injector cleaner in the gas. The shop was perplexed by the amount of crap in the injectors. I purchased the boat used this spring and it only had 91 hours on it despite being an '03. The only thing the shop could surmise is that the boat likely had old gas sitting in the lines for an extended amount of time that had a high ethanol content. I guess ethanol condenses quicker than gasoline and any deposits that developed in the lines were flushed through the system and got caught in the injectors.

No, the shop cleaned the injectors and soaked the fuel lines over night in a cleaning solution. Then I ran injector cleaner in the gas. The shop was perplexed by the amount of crap in the injectors. I purchased the boat used this spring and it only had 91 hours on it despite being an '03. The only thing the shop could surmise is that the boat likely had old gas sitting in the lines for an extended amount of time that had a high ethanol content. I guess ethanol condenses quicker than gasoline and any deposits that developed in the lines were flushed through the system and got caught in the injectors.

You're describing my situation pefectly: an '03 w/ exactly 91 hours and old gas in the tank and lines. Thanks!

You're describing my situation pefectly: an '03 w/ exactly 91 hours and old gas in the tank and lines. Thanks!

I just got my boat back from the same situation. '03 VLX with about 180 hours on it. All the injectors were clogged

with a rusty colored sludge. They even had to clean all the hard fuel lines, as they were all clogged as well.

--Robert