Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

'88 Skier Restoration

Does anybody have an estimate for how much a 1988 5.7 liter 250 hp Mercruiser with 770 hours might be worth, Velvet Drive transmission included? It has only been run in fresh water, although it hasn't been run in about five years. Until then, both engine and transmission ran great and never had mechanical problems except for replacing the distributor and coil at one point.

Not that I'm close to reinstalling an engine yet, but since it's getting replaced anyway and I could use the extra space in my garage and extra money for materials, I might as well get rid of the old one now.

Looking at what little I can find on Craigslist and Ebay, I'm thinking $1700 OBO ... any thoughts? I'll probably put it on Craigslist, but if you're near Vegas and you want an engine/transmission, send me a message or an offer.

Awesome job! I would think the velvet drive would be the most valuable part of the powertrain. What are you doing for a repower? FYI, there are great options available to achieve a 350+/- hp small block GM unit that really wakes up these boats. Also excellent availability from GM or aftermarket suppliers.

• 2 years later...

i have a 87 malibu skier im havign to replace the floor and the stringers in back of the engine, rest is fine,not sure if i want to recarpet it or not, ilike that teak looking stuff i also pulled ou the front bench seat and put in a matching bucket seat, since we dont use it for skiing, they make great cruisers,

• 10 years later...

Twelve years later, an update on this project. My career had other ideas and the boat sat outside in the mountains for a decade. It was covered well and checked seasonally, but time and snow load didn't do any favors. Not worth it at this point, considering the condition of the decks.

The work I did on the rebuild was bulletproof. Despite the storage conditions, the stringers looked like the day I stopped working on it. I'm still a believer in wood boats, done right, for that reason. It took a chainsaw and sledgehammer to remove a section of stringer. I'm going to make a shelf out of it to keep as evidence of the opportunity cost of a military career.

I'm parting out the remnants. Reply or message me if you're interested in any of it.

Solid swim platform, refinished brackets and transom mounts.

Various running gear. Two OJ props (12.5x13 and 13x12.5, each probably need refurbishing but are still sound), all three tracking fins, strut, shaft, coupling, rudder (Malibu, but not original to the boat), steering cable bracket (the angled piece that bolted above the strut in the bilge), rudder tiller.

Plus random hardware I had refinished while I was still working on the boat, some original and some new (in 2010) from Marine Hardware. New Marine Hardware gas cap, fuel vent, exhaust outlets (wider than stock, would need enlarged transom holes), and bilge pump through-hull. Original transom grab handle, dash fixture for light pole, bow light housing, and some hinges, all refinished in black powder coat.

I appear limited on ability to post pictures but I can send them separately or figure out later how to post them. 

You can use a 3rd party to post photo's.. like imgur or whatever, or buy a subscription here. My guess is someone will want that boat in it's entirety.

It's been quite awhile, so hopefully you'll give some time here for someone to know it's available. There is a classified section here also, not sure if you need a subscription for that. Again, someone will find a lot of value in it.

Steve B.

First of all, Thank You For Your Service.  

You did an amazing job on this boat.  Perfection on the glass work. 

Some of your parts could be used on some other years of vintage malibu's.

Every once in awhile someone on this site is looking for parts. like the wind shield or rudders or swim step.

Is it on a decent trailer?  

You should not have a problem parting this out . Just post in the classifeid section.