Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Oil Removal

Am I safe to assume your dip stick tube is on the starbord side of the engine, near the front of the valve cover . . it takes two 90 degree turns to enter the block near the middle of the starter. . . Strange they would put the treads on the end of the dip stick, if no one uses it.

I appreciate the advice. I don't think I want to have to have compressed air to run the extractor thou . . . any issues with the hand pump version of the MityVac?

MY dip stick :rofl: ahem... sorry... My dip stick is as you described above. I'm pretty sure MartinA has the hand pump Extractor and seems to like it, but you'll have to confirm with him. Im sure he'll chime in.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Levi900RR

• kkosche

• martinarcher

• Pistol Pete

MY dip stick :rofl: ahem... sorry... My dip stick is as you described above. I'm pretty sure MartinA has the hand pump Extractor and seems to like it, but you'll have to confirm with him. Im sure he'll chime in.

Mine's the MityVac with the hand pump.

http://www.amazon.com/Mityvac-7201-Fluid-Evacuator-Plus/dp/B0002SR7TC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1284723050&sr=8-1

It is easy to use and with a few pumps begins to pull oil. I give it around ten pumps and walk away or work on something else while it sucks it all out. It might take another couple "sets" of ten pumps to drain the whole pan, but it is easy and painless.

The biggest thing I hate about traveling is no good Coffee (GMCR) and no good Beer (Tons of good Microbrews). Reason number 1000 that I typically don't leave VT!

:rofl:

Levi900RR, not to hijack this thread but since we are both in VT and like Long Trail with our oil changes I was wondering what weight oil you use. Tomorrow will be our last day on the water and I plan to change oil while still hot. Used Mobil 1 synthetic 15w-50 last year. hope you get some more warm days!

Levi900RR, not to hijack this thread but since we are both in VT and like Long Trail with our oil changes I was wondering what weight oil you use. Tomorrow will be our last day on the water and I plan to change oil while still hot. Used Mobil 1 synthetic 15w-50 last year. hope you get some more warm days!

I too use the Mobil 1 15-50. I was thinking this year about using a lighter weight cause I'm hoping to get a few foliage crusies in this fall, but I doubt I will change.

Friday is supposed to be 80. Even if its raining I gotta get out one last time and LAND THAT BACK ROLL!!! :rockon:

i invested in an electric pump from west marine. i run the engine until its thoroughly warmed up push the tube in till it hits the bottom. connect it to the battery 10-15 minuits im changing the filter pouring in fresh oil.

I figure out the drainign oil part but what about the changing oil filter part, more specifically on a 383 v-drive?? any tricks? I can barely get to it and I swear If i can loosen it I still couldnt pull it out becuase there is something right under the filter maybe the stering cable? there is no give.

I figure out the drainign oil part but what about the changing oil filter part, more specifically on a 383 v-drive?? any tricks? I can barely get to it and I swear If i can loosen it I still couldnt pull it out becuase there is something right under the filter maybe the stering cable? there is no give.

You just have to cuss a little more. It gets easier and easier everytime. I swore I wouldn't do it again after the first time I did, then the next two times I did it I found it was pretty simple as long as you get the hoses and crap out of the way that you need to.

You just have to cuss a little more. It gets easier and easier everytime. I swore I wouldn't do it again after the first time I did, then the next two times I did it I found it was pretty simple as long as you get the hoses and crap out of the way that you need to.

I tried to push pull them outta the way but like I said no give, anymore swearing is just going to result in hitting or breaking things lol. Is it the stearing cable that is in the way?

I tried to push pull them outta the way but like I said no give, anymore swearing is just going to result in hitting or breaking things lol. Is it the stearing cable that is in the way?

Oil cooler and heater lines on mine, I just undo them all then move them out of the way. I use a ratchet style oil filter removal tool to break the filter loose, then get a gallon storage bag. I fold the zip lock lip over so the bag stays open. I then use the lip of the bag against the oil filter to spin it loose, it then just drops into the bag. I also lay an oil absorbant pad in the bilge just incase.

Those with the HH engine in a vlx don't even bother chiming in with advice on this one, it's a totally different situation and the engine sits down 6" lower in the LSV. It's a pain.

Edited by 06vlx

Oil cooler and heater lines on mine, I just undo them all then move them out of the way. I use a ratchet style oil filter removal tool to break the filter loose, then get a gallon storage bag. I fold the zip lock lip over so the bag stays open. I then use the lip of the bag against the oil filter to spin it loose, it then just drops into the bag. I also lay an oil absorbant pad in the bilge just incase.

Those with the HH engine in a vlx don't even bother chiming in with advice on this one, it's a totally different situation and the engine sits down 6" lower in the LSV. It's a pain.

Cool Ill giver a go thanks!

The threads are on the dipstick for this mercruiser oil extraction pump. Oil Pump

I've used this for years on my old I/O and it worked great. Last year I tried one of the Mity Vac's ( or similar type) which the guy gave me brand new with my sunsetter. I will be using the mercruiser pump again this year as I couldn't get that other one to work properly.

Edited by Wakeboarddude
  • 2 weeks later...
martinarcher

The threads are on the dipstick for this mercruiser oil extraction pump. Oil Pump

I've used this for years on my old I/O and it worked great. Last year I tried one of the Mity Vac's ( or similar type) which the guy gave me brand new with my sunsetter. I will be using the mercruiser pump again this year as I couldn't get that other one to work properly.

It depends on your dipstick tube. The older Malibu's don;t have threaded dipstick tubes. I think it is just as easy to shove the straw of the Mity Vac to the bottom of the pan.

I would think the dipstick tube doesn't quite get tot he bottom of the pan anyways. There has to be a bit of a gap otherwise the oil would work it's way up the dipstick tube. I'm sure it's not much though.

Until this year, I'd only ever owned outboard motors and had only changed lower gear case oil. This was my first year owning an inboard and I must admit I was fairly nervous about changing the fluids. However...I bought a MityVac and used it for the first time this weekend to change my engine oil, v-drive oil, and tranny fluid. I gotta say...it really worked like a charm. I also wrapped a ziplock bag around the oil filter when I removed it. Both of these ideas I got from the Crew...so thanks!. Not a drop of oil spilled.

I prefer to use the garden hose to drain the oil, after I get home from the lake simply let it drain over night. I use about a 1/4-1/3 of a 2-liter bottle to catch any oil, but letting it drain overnight I've yet to have any oil cascade down the side of the filter.

Turns out that my oil pan had some pin holes, near the drain plug. I went with a slightly less volume, new Chevrolet pan that give me an additional 3/4". This will insure I have clearance, and had the drain plug at an angle on the side. . . so I might consider a drain line . . . although I am now a proud owner of a MityVac.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NAL-12557558/

Turns out that my oil pan had some pin holes, near the drain plug. ...

Pinholes? Maybe a little water collected in the bottom of the pan and sat there for a long time. Can't remember ever hearing of that on a boat. I wonder how often that happens. I've seen air compressor tanks rust through from the inside...

Good luck with that new pan.

Pinholes? Maybe a little water collected in the bottom of the pan and sat there for a long time. Can't remember ever hearing of that on a boat. I wonder how often that happens. I've seen air compressor tanks rust through from the inside...

Good luck with that new pan.

Rusted from outside in. Pan sat so close to the bottom of the boat, that any residue in the bilge would have rested between the pan and the boat bottom. Given the layout, not surprising the rust occurred . . . but to that extent. . . that we a little surprising. 23 years of being damp . . .

Those of you with the mightyvac try this:

Take a two inch piece of steel brake line and sharpen it to a point like a needle. Have everything ready to go, pierce the side of the filter and draw the filter down. Then when you remove the filter you don't even get so much as a drip. No messy plastic bags or anything.

It does take some effort to pierce the filter but it helps if you use and awl to start the hole....then you just gotta be fast. :thumbup:

Sounds dicey.

Don't tell me that's what you're teaching the kids to do.

Huh? In what way is that dicey? Worst case scenario you spill a little oil that was going to get spilled anyway.

If that is dicey Pete you need to take more risks in life :lol:

Edited by Ruffdog

I see someone slipping and stabbing themselves in the hand.

Oh wait, but no blood will get on the ground so, never mind, carry on.

Pete.....the sharp end goes INTO the filter. :)