Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

CF # Cleanup

LakeOneSkier

I moved to another state and have finally found time to replace the CA registration numbers. Got them off OK but now have that sticky residue remaining. Anyone have any suggestions as to how to remove it?

I used a rag soaked in gas to remove some of it, mainly where the annual sticker was. But where the numbers were it's not working.

Yikes!

Gasoline?

3M makes really good "general purpose adheasive remover" It comes in either a spray can or large jug. I use it all the time and it won't hurt paint or anything. You can buy it at better car parts stores.

Pete USA.gif

yea, acetone and vinyl do not mix AT ALL... I was at the ny boat show and one of the dealers cleaned some pen off a seat with it without diluting it. Needless to say they were ordering a new seat skin.

Just put a small amount of acetone onto a paper towel or a cloth then rub it onto the area needed for removal. The key is to put the acetone onto the cloth and not directly onto the surface.

I keep a can of lacquer thinner in the cabinet with my 83 different varieties of waxes, compounds & cleaners. It seems to be a pretty universal chemical. It takes the sticky residue from decals off real well & yes, I have used it on interior vinyl many times for various stain removal that nothing else will touch. Like was mentioned above - I think the key is to wet a non colored rag or paper towel with the thinner - not pour it on your boat. It works on the little stains on the edges of the seats where the brass breather holes leave stains too. I assume if you did it repeatedly in the same spot it would remove some of the grain in the vinyl, but I have not had a problem with that.

After reading in these threads about the 303 Aerospace protectant, I finally ordered up a gollon refill & a couple of smaller spray bottles from Summitracing.com and retired the ArmorAll. It pretty well looks the same, but hopefully in years to come it will protect the 'Bu better.

I keep a can of lacquer thinner in the cabinet with my 83 different varieties of waxes, compounds & cleaners. It seems to be a pretty universal chemical. It takes the sticky residue from decals off real well & yes, I have used it on interior vinyl many times for various stain removal that nothing else will touch. Like was mentioned above - I think the key is to wet a non colored rag or paper towel with the thinner - not pour it on your boat. It works on the little stains on the edges of the seats where the brass breather holes leave stains too. I assume if you did it repeatedly in the same spot it would remove some of the grain in the vinyl, but I have not had a problem with that.

After reading in these threads about the 303 Aerospace protectant, I finally ordered up a gollon refill & a couple of  smaller spray bottles from Summitracing.com and retired the ArmorAll. It pretty well looks the same, but hopefully in years to come it will protect the 'Bu better.

Good point about the "non colored" rag or paper towel. Colored ones do tend to bleed and can make a bigger mess.

BTW I use acetone for all sorts of general cleanup on the fiberglass. I use xylene for the tar however, it seams to work the best. And don't forget to wax after you've stripped it off with the acetone.

If you don't have acetone or xylol hanging around, see if you have any isopropanol (rubbing alcohol) in your medicine cabinet -- that might cut it up too.

Yes it does...Nice job on 300.  Stewart is going to regret not being on this weekend when you pass him, lol

Yeah, but apparently he doesn't have to work during the day. He can rack up a ton of posts before I even get chance to visit TMC. BTW your not doing to shabby yourself there mr slacker. Biggrin.gif

Nail polish remover is a diluted acetone so it will work as well (just don't get caught taking it)

BTDT got the scars to prove it. :)