Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

sv23 vs. diamond

Devin Perry

while looking for my next boat i would like to get some advise from people with experience. I am primarily a slalom skier is there much difference from an SV23 to an SV23diamond hull. would like to know what to look for when shopping. Thanks for your help

The diamond hull has a reverse chine which causes the hull to lift up on top of the water more once you gets into the upper 20's on the speedo. The lifting action makes the wake smaller and softer.

As a slalom skier you would want to look for a 98 or newer Response or Response LX, or if looking at newer boats, add Response LXi to the list. You could also look at 1999-2004 Sunsetter LXi's (but not the LX).

Good luck. :)

You could also look at 1999-2004 Sunsetter LXi's (but not the LX).

That was always a confusing point for me. I have seen many people claim the Sunsetter LX was only on the SV23 hull, but our 2002 SS LX (direct drive) had the reverse chine indicative of the diamond hull. Was this optional on the LX?

To comment on the original posters question, yes the ski wake is quite a bit different depending on what you are doing. Casual slalom sking is possible on the SV23 hull, but if you try to cross the wakes with any serious speed be prepared for some air. :biggrin:

Devin,

As NorCaliBu stated, the diamond hull started on the Response series in 1998, and it is generally believed that it produces a softer wake at slalom speeds. Others will say the SV23 produces a better wakeboard and barefoot wake. I don't doubt the theory of the differences, I just don't see the wake differences in the real world.

I regularly switch back and forth between my non-diamond SV23 98 Echelon (last year of Echelon and it didn't get the diamond hull) and my friend's diamond hulled 01 Response. Slalom, trick, wakeboard, barefoot...I just don't see a difference in the hull performance.

I'm merely saying don't let the diamond vs. non-diamond SV23 being the deciding factor in an otherwise "perfect for you" boat. The hull will ABSOLUTELY not be the limiting factor in your skiing.

That was always a confusing point for me. I have seen many people claim the Sunsetter LX was only on the SV23 hull, but our 2002 SS LX (direct drive) had the reverse chine indicative of the diamond hull. Was this optional on the LX?

It seems that I have heard before that there was one year that you could get the SS LX on either hull. :dontknow: Wakegirl? Malibudude? Being that it was one year and an "optional" hull it would seem that it would be a rare bird indeed.

...it is generally believed that it produces a softer wake at slalom speeds...I just don't see a difference in the hull performance.

The four boats that I ski behind the most are 2 Sporties (one of which is mine), a Response LX, and a Ski Centurion ( :( I know....:lol: ). In the Sportsters, if we go out with just 10 gallons of gas, no extra people and no extra gear, the wake is just as good as the Response wake at 34 mph. The difference being that the Response can have a full tank of gas and even an extra person and the wake is still small and soft. You put that much extra weight in a Sporty and just make sure there are no low hanging branches or overhead powerlines. :lol:

so it seems that the diamond will allow me the opportunity to bring along one or more people with out affecting the wake as much as the non-diamond. if that is the case that would definitely be a huge factor for me. It in nice to bring people along. My current 87 sunsetter gets pretty tough to ski behind the more people you bring. But i definitely will stick with the walk thru open bow whatever i end up with. Again thanks for your input!

Just a side point i am curently open water skiing 28off at 36mph

Edited by Devin Perry
...But i definitely will stick with the walk thru open bow whatever i end up with.

That narrows it down quite a bit. Walk-Thru on a Diamond Hull (or Cut Diamond Hull)...

1999-2004 Sunsetter LXi or 2003-2010 Response LXi

It seems that I have heard before that there was one year that you could get the SS LX on either hull. :dontknow: Wakegirl? Malibudude? Being that it was one year and an "optional" hull it would seem that it would be a rare bird indeed.

The four boats that I ski behind the most are 2 Sporties (one of which is mine), a Response LX, and a Ski Centurion ( :( I know....:lol: ). In the Sportsters, if we go out with just 10 gallons of gas, no extra people and no extra gear, the wake is just as good as the Response wake at 34 mph. The difference being that the Response can have a full tank of gas and even an extra person and the wake is still small and soft. You put that much extra weight in a Sporty and just make sure there are no low hanging branches or overhead powerlines. :lol:

The '02 Sunsetter is on the diamond hull, the only year it was standard which, would make it a better slalom boat than the SLXI '99-'04 due to it's narrower, shorter thus reducing the weight even though the wetted length is the same due to the cantilevered trunk in the SLXI.

so it seems that the diamond will allow me the opportunity to bring along one or more people with out affecting the wake as much as the non-diamond. if that is the case that would definitely be a huge factor for me. It in nice to bring people along. My current 87 sunsetter gets pretty tough to ski behind the more people you bring. But i definitely will stick with the walk thru open bow whatever i end up with. Again thanks for your input!

Just a side point i am curently open water skiing 28off at 36mph

As to norcalibu's observation, keep in mind he's talking about a sportster which is a smaller boat...ie more "pounds per square inch" on the smaller footprint than a response. I have not noticed that a non-diamond sv23 20 footer reacts any differently to a little additional weight than a diamond.

while looking for my next boat i would like to get some advise from people with experience. I am primarily a slalom skier is there much difference from an SV23 to an SV23diamond hull. would like to know what to look for when shopping. Thanks for your help

If you want a boat primarily for slalom and want to have the most performance in terms of lack of wake then simply put the Response CB or LX is the boat to get imho. The diamond hull creates lift due to the reverse or turn down chines located at the outer edges of the hull. This not only helps to reduce the wake size but also creates a softer wake to slice through. When the wake is much less abrupt and easier to keep correct body position and skin angle. But depending upon your needs this boat does sacrifice in other areas, all day lake time can be rough since this boat doesn't handle rough water well, space, low freeboard. But for a course...why drive a boat w/ any other name....:crazy:

They still are producing the RLX or Response CB even though it's not in the brochure...:rockon:

In the perfect situation I agree it would be all response on a private lake with 6 balls, but I do enjoy taking friends out on the Sacramento River down to Chevy’s on the river for dinner. I like taking it camping with friends and there children and things like that, so the walk thru open bow is a high priority for me. I am not a tournament skier so I don’t need the absolute best but I would like the best I can get that meets some other needs as well.