Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Pop-up Bow Navigation Lights

SunriseH2OSkier

I've always kind of thought I'd like to install a pop-up bow navigation light, going back to the days of MBO when Jason did a DYI article on the subject. Now that my nav light is getting flakey, I'm thinking about it again. I poked around yesterday, and it seems that there are two designs out there, one that Malibu used to install as OEM, and a new design (pics attached below). The newer design (on the right below) has a somewhat smaller footprint than the other, but I tend to prefer the looks of the other.

My questions to those of you that have one, what do you like about it, and is there anything you don't like? It ain't a cheap feature (3-4x a basic light), so if you had it to do over again, would you still do it? Anybody have experience with both types, and prefer one over the other? TIA.

post-60-128378383522_thumb.gif

post-60-128378384809_thumb.jpg

By the way, I removed my light the other day just to see how it was constructed, and was appalled by what I found underneath. The hole they drilled to pass the wires looked like something a 2 year old could have done. It was drilled brute force, jagged edges all around, with cracks in the gel radiating away. I'm surprised the cracks stopped within the footprint of the light. It really isn't that hard to drill cleanly through fiberglass, and doesn't take that much time. Mine looks like someone was having a really bad day.

IME...The new style light is easier to flip over. On the old style I had to sometimes pry it open to flip it. On the new style you can push down on the back and it flips. Otherwise once it's flipped, it's just a light.

By the way, I removed my light the other day just to see how it was constructed, and was appalled by what I found underneath. The hole they drilled to pass the wires looked like something a 2 year old could have done. It was drilled brute force, jagged edges all around, with cracks in the gel radiating away. I'm surprised the cracks stopped within the footprint of the light. It really isn't that hard to drill cleanly through fiberglass, and doesn't take that much time. Mine looks like someone was having a really bad day.

Jerry,

In general I find boat build/construction to be several degrees behind the automotive industry. Seems like you feel the same way.

My Boat:

Anchor light is unreliable.

Many of the screws that hold the upholstery together are not run in straight.

Cabin light covers had to be modified to stay in place.

Helm/ rack and pinion poorly constructed.

Improper Ballast hose routing.

This is just off the top of my head, probably more.

Anyway, I always look for ways to improve my boat any time something breaks. Do it!

I've always kind of thought I'd like to install a pop-up bow navigation light, going back to the days of MBO when Jason did a DYI article on the subject. Now that my nav light is getting flakey, I'm thinking about it again. I poked around yesterday, and it seems that there are two designs out there, one that Malibu used to install as OEM, and a new design (pics attached below). The newer design (on the right below) has a somewhat smaller footprint than the other, but I tend to prefer the looks of the other.

My questions to those of you that have one, what do you like about it, and is there anything you don't like? It ain't a cheap feature (3-4x a basic light), so if you had it to do over again, would you still do it? Anybody have experience with both types, and prefer one over the other? TIA.

i like the looks of the flip up light and if you have to reach over the front of the boat to clip a docking line, it does makes it easier,

Do you have to manually "pop" these lights up? Or do they automagicly pop up when you turn them on?

manually, but that would be a cool mod, have a servo flip the light open when you turn it on.

edit: actually, i think it would be an impossible mod.

Edited by Cervelo

i like the looks of the flip up light and if you have to reach over the front of the boat to clip a docking line, it does makes it easier,

manually, but that would be a cool mod, have a servo flip the light open when you turn it on.

edit: actually, i think it would be an impossible mod.

I have a closed bow, flipping it manually would be a pain in the butt, I would have to look at one to see if you could rig up a cable to run it... :unsure:

Pete is the tripple wedge surf edition coming with a pop up lightsabre bow light??

It's a powered pop up bow light and is led.

I also ordered the the Mali-Vari-Exhaust. From the driver's seat, I can choose which side of the boat the exhaust exits.

Sorta like that "sideswipe" exhaust. This, of course, is powered.

I have the one on the right.... and love it. I've never had a problem with it. Although it does get a little hot when it's on for a while. I'd love to put an LED bulb in it sometime.

I replaced my fixed bow light with the pop up version pictured on the right. Pretty simple mod and a must have IMHO if you have a open bow. Toughest part was getting past the nerves of cutting a big hole in the top deck of the boat. The light kit comes with a template and good directions. Read them end to end twice, before you make and cuts. :biggrin:

couple more hints.....put masking tape down on the gel coat in the area your going to be cutting out. This will help with splintering or small cracks to the gel. Also when drilling the holes for the screws, chamfer the holes by starting with the slightly larger drill bit turning in reverse. Then change to the correct size bit and complete the holes for the screws that holds the light base in place.

Edited by BuFootin

I hardly ever drive at night so, it being stowed out of sight is all good with me.

This is probably the main thing for me too. I'm often tying off the anchor to the bow eye, and laying across the front can be a bit of a pain with the the light sticking up there. The other alternative I considered for this was to mount a retractable cleat just behind the light, but that just seems to be more clutter on the front than I like.

Thanks for all the good input!

Edited by SunriseH2OSkier

I have the one on the right.... and love it. I've never had a problem with it. Although it does get a little hot when it's on for a while. I'd love to put an LED bulb in it sometime.

I also replaced my bow light with the one on the right. I like it for the flush look when not in use and also leaning over to reach the bow eye. I replaced the bulb with an LED and that makes the green side look more Blue green but I don't mind. Now there are different shade White LED bulbs that may cure that.

Has anyone leaned on that thing after its been on for at least a few minutes. I've done it twice this summer with no shirt on, that thing is like 8 bajillion degress!!! Anyone know of a source for the led replacement?

My link

or.

Has anyone leaned on that thing after its been on for at least a few minutes. I've done it twice this summer with no shirt on, that thing is like 8 bajillion degress!!! Anyone know of a source for the led replacement?

I got my replacement bulb from Superbright LED

• 2 weeks later...

You gotta get one, one of the nicest mods that doesn't break the bank. And its easy to install.

post-10521-128510195257_thumb.jpg

I guess I must be too cheap. I can’t see replacing something that works fine. And replacing it with something with moving parts…sooner or later it’s going to break. Hang on to the old light assembly as a spare.