Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat Transport Across the USofA

KokaneeKonsumer

Hi - I have a call into Boat Transport (800-792-1118), but does anyone have any stories they could relate - especically around costs? Just trying to put together my business case in terms of getting a unit from the east coast (MA) to at least Montana and possibly up to Alberta (Canada). I know I've read where others have driven to retrieve, but given the distance, paying (within reason) may make more sense.

Hi - I have a call into Boat Transport (800-792-1118), but does anyone have any stories they could relate - especically around costs?  Just trying to put together my business case in terms of getting a unit from the east coast (MA) to at least Montana and possibly up to Alberta (Canada).  I know I've read where others have driven to retrieve, but given the distance, paying (within reason) may make more sense.

I just booked a boat with J&F Marine Services. It is scheduled to leave this week from MA to FL. I can let you know how it works out if you wish?

Oldbarn

I got a quote for a 21' (with trailer included) from the east coast to the west coast - $4500. This was two months ago.

I'd make sure it was shrinkwrapped - $300(+ -)

Peter, great idea. Which makes me think a bit more - if the right boat was ever to end up at your store, how far from your dealership to Montreal? We have a vast rail network Canada wide (2 actually) and this could be more economical.

We are about 3 hrs from Montreal. The larger issue/time delay in getting there is going through customs at the border, with a boat that was just purchased by a Canadian resident. A customer of mine did it, and even with a broker pre-arranged by the buyer apparently it took a few hours.

Also - boat must not exceed a width dimension to fit on the rail car - I think it was about 97 or 98". This limits it to a Response on a trailer I believe. Anything larger would push the trailer width.

Edited by SmoothWaterMan

3 hours - not bad at all. I'll keep my eyes on your web site. The width for standard rail transport is 8'. Anything more than that a special flat bed can be ordered. If one is not in a rush, that special car can wait until it's completely full thus minimizing the extra costs (with that full car incremental cost is about $300 CDN). Thus all told Quebec to Alberta about $2300 CDN - definitely better than truck transport. With the right priced unit and our dollar remaining relatively high the business case is good. Re: the border - I did the prelim. research with our Feds, passed it on to my brother in law for fun and he took off to Washington state and picked up some I/O and was able to get across in 1/2 an hour - he did indicate though it can vary depending on the border crossing.

Mark, didn't see your post. Has to be the 'right' unit - 2000-2003 Response or Sunsetter. When I say right, I mean price point - you know what they cost here and the somewhat limited inventory. We had to take a break from boating this summer due to my wife's research project but actually ended up buying a trailer and some big Nissan thing to pull it (sorry, not a Ford) - so if I can sneak something in under 'X' amount of dollars it will work!

I picked up my boat in Cary IL. It cost me about $1,000.00CD funds to go get it, incl food and fuel, that was with a 32 ft motorhome. If you can spare the time, this is the least expensive option. Don't forget to tape the PP wheel (I didn't, but the consensus seems to be to immobilize the wheel when travelling).

Try looking into a company called Sea-Rail. They specialize in transport of anything that drives. For example to ship a Touareg from Calgary to Toronto was $900, wasn't too bad at all. That includes dropping off to the location of a flatbed truck. Now they do boats and have their own customs brokers aswell. Main thing I have been told is to call 72 hours in advance that the boat is going though customs, meanwhile they(customs) have done all paperwork and checks and it will be hassle free. Also you need paperwork for the trailer if you are shipping on one.

Though not a boat, my brother shipped his car from Toronto to Vegas, took 4 days and cost about $2000, fully insured and covered.

Though my opinion if get a Rental SUV such as a Expedition (they have factory hitches) and go on a road trip to pick up you BU'. may cost you $1500 including hotel, gas and rental costs, just bring your own reciever and don't tell rental company your towing! That's a big no, no! Most trailers are surge type engagement anyways so you don't have to wire any controler up.! Innocent.gif

Edited by GTI2lo

Kokanee;

I too purchased a US based boat. The market in the US has so many more boats to offer. Luckily, i found the 'right' boat in Seattle.

As for moving such items accross Canada, I had my Dodge Ram railed accross Canada from Toronto quite economically I thought. A college roommate of mine is a freight forwarder in Toronto. He organized it all. REALLY professional outfit. They found more scratches and marks on the truck at check in that I never would have bothered mentioning. And at delivery, they walked me through the entire vehicle to ensure i was happy they did not mark it.

Let me know if you need the contact.

Wilma

GTI2lo - it's Sea Rail that I've contacted - during initial coversations they seem pretty good. I'd love to be able to drive to retrieve a unit - be it a rental SUV or even mine - just time constraints in potentially doing so.

Thanks Wilma - I'll send you a note.

Edited by KokaneeKonsumer

Searail is fine to deal with. We've used them to ship units across the country and I had them ship a sled trailer for me from the Toronto area out here a few years back. Never had any issues with them.